Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by california_guy110 View Post
What does this mean? California has the biggest economy of any state in the U.S., how can a state go bankrupt, that is an ignorant statement.
Maybe not so ignorant. Remember what happened to Orange County in 1994?

SSRN-Lessons from the Orange County Bankruptcy by Philippe Jorion

Orange County Value-at-Risk Case

http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/rb/RB_498MBRB.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 12:28 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monti View Post
Why would you buy a home ANYWHERE? For some false sense of stability and accomplishment - where, in many places the equity can barely keep up with inflation?

No thanks.
I can say the same thing....only the reverse. Why would you want to rent, ANYWHERE? to live under a landords thumb, giving someone else money to increase their equity, not be able to change paint-carpet-etc. ??????? I purchased my house 4 years ago, have a beautiful big yard for my dogs to run in, etc. and I have managed to build $350,000 in equity. Wouldn't have it wany other way.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:14 PM

521 posts, read 1,630,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californialeavin View Post
We are moving to TN, we did some reasearch and not only can I probably make more there,but for 500k I can get a 4000 + square foot mansion.
ROFL @ You
Good luck making any money off a house in TN. Lots of luck. But all the luck won't do you didly squat because chances are, after buying that 500k house in 2007, in 2020 you'll see an appreciation of what? 50k!? If that.
My parents bought a small home in Valley back in the 90's for somewhere in the 200k's and by 2000 it was worth well over 500k.
Its just the way that it is. People make serious money off of real estate in L.A. if they know what they are doing.

This whole city is observing an influx of professionals moving in from other areas of the country. I see it all the time when I jog at the beach and see people with Harvard, Yale, "you name the university" sweaters on. This has been happening for decades but now more of these people are starting to invest into real estate, seeing how the 90's saw a boom in real estate. Its happening slowly where these people are purchasing homes in low-end neighborhoods and these neighborhoods are starting to transform into decent neighborhoods.

Doesnt sound like you knew what you were doing. Which is why you're leaving. Survival of the fittest.
The city of Los Angeles merely got rid of the excess fat when you leave.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:31 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,641,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
ROFL @ You
Good luck making any money off a house in TN. Lots of luck. But all the luck won't do you didly squat because chances are, after buying that 500k house in 2007, in 2020 you'll see an appreciation of what? 50k!? If that.
My parents bought a small home in Valley back in the 90's for somewhere in the 200k's and by 2000 it was worth well over 500k.
Its just the way that it is. People make serious money off of real estate in L.A. if they know what they are doing.

This whole city is observing an influx of professionals moving in from other areas of the country. I see it all the time when I jog at the beach and see people with Harvard, Yale, "you name the university" sweaters on. This has been happening for decades but now more of these people are starting to invest into real estate, seeing how the 90's saw a boom in real estate. Its happening slowly where these people are purchasing homes in low-end neighborhoods and these neighborhoods are starting to transform into decent neighborhoods.

Doesnt sound like you knew what you were doing. Which is why you're leaving. Survival of the fittest.
The city of Los Angeles merely got rid of the excess fat when you leave.
you took time to respond to a six-month-old post just to insult someone who may never even read your comment? nothing on tv?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:38 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,120,219 times
I agree with katenik. And just when I was almost convinced transplants weren't a problem.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM

99 posts, read 570,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdawgx View Post
LA tolerant? Ask Reginal Denny how tolerant LA can be.
...or we can just look at how the war on 'drugs' goes after black & Latino men when stats reflect drug use is no different for whites. Why do you stay in LA? Why don't take your leather costumes & move to Montana? There's gotta me some blue collar Latinos there.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:22 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,872,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus View Post
...or we can just look at how the war on 'drugs' goes after black & Latino men when stats reflect drug use is no different for whites. Why do you stay in LA? Why don't take your leather costumes & move to Montana? There's gotta me some blue collar Latinos there.
... or, we can say to ourselves, "a lot can change about a city with millions of residents over the course of 20 years."

It's funny seeing people harp on violence from the early 90's as evidence for what a mess LA is now.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I agree with katenik. And just when I was almost convinced transplants weren't a problem.
the problem is that people keep labeling transplants and natives. Stop the labeling people!!

Old 12-01-2012, 02:03 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
ok fine if you don't like the transplant label , we shall start calling them aliens!

Old 12-02-2012, 01:50 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,850,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
ok fine if you don't like the transplant label , we shall start calling them aliens!
Already done, by a wide array of unfortunates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles