Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 01:49 PM

129 posts, read 663,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
Sigh...actors one of the best things about not being in LA anymore. They sure do love hearing themselves talk
Ahh one of the best things about people who move away from LA is not reading their posts in the LA forum anymo---

Oh wait, nevermind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 01:17 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Default Thoughts from a former Californian

I lived in Redondo Beach 1983-2000, which represented most of my 20s and 30s. We moved to Virginia in 2000 because my husband got a hefty raise--otherwise, we probably wouldn't have moved. I continue to read the Daily Breeze at least 2-3 times a week and return to LA frequently. We aren't planning to move back to Redondo Beach, but I can certainly understand the appeal. These would be my reasons:

1. No matter how expensive it gets, buying a house within 1 mile of the ocean will always be a good investment. People will always want to live near the beach.

2. The weather and lack of mosquitoes make all four seasons pleasant. Allergies are not a problem by the beach.

3. Roses and most other flowers thrive in your garden with very little effort. I thought I was a great gardener, then I moved here and realized I was simply blessed to have a garden in LA. And there are no deer/foxes/rabbits at the beach. When you first move here, you think they're cute. After a few years you realize they are pests.

4. Girls rollerblading in bikinis on the strand. Happy moms with jogging strollers. Happy people doing business by talking on a cell phone sitting on the sand. The beach vibe is cheerful, optimistic, rejuvenating.

5. Groceries and most goods for sale are cheaper in LA than most other paces in the country. You may not believe this but it's true, even when you factor in the 8.5 sales tax.

6. It's relatively easy to get a job in LA. Just about any line of work can be found in LA. The general job climate is more cooperative and productive than in many other cities. (Do you think you have a problem with office politics? Hah!!! Try working near D.C. where people thrive on power trips. The northeast in general is very aggressive and very uncooperative. Nobody shares information or helps each other. You won't appreciate how nice the work environment is in LA until you move away.)

7. People are cheerful, and it's easy for newcomers to make friends. I really miss the general optimism of LA. People in the northeast are generally grumpy and clickish.

8. Churches seem more sincere, more spiritual in LA. Again, you probably won't believe this until you try living in the northeast. And, this is just my opinion. But I went to two fantastic churches during the time I lived in Redondo Beach, and I've never found any place like them out here. Religion here is just something you dutifully show up for on Sunday morning. Words are recited, but not really meant. People talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Go to church at American Martyrs in Manhattan Beach if you want a really spiritual experience. And then go surfing--that's a spiritual experience too!

We're staying in Virginia because I've found many things I like about living here, too. But I loved living in Redondo and I can easily see why it's worth every penny if you can possibly afford it.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:35 PM

72,416 posts, read 18,202,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I lived in Redondo Beach 1983-2000, which represented most of my 20s and 30s. We moved to Virginia in 2000 because my husband got a hefty raise--otherwise, we probably wouldn't have moved. I continue to read the Daily Breeze at least 2-3 times a week and return to LA frequently. We aren't planning to move back to Redondo Beach, but I can certainly understand the appeal. These would be my reasons:

1. No matter how expensive it gets, buying a house within 1 mile of the ocean will always be a good investment. People will always want to live near the beach.

2. The weather and lack of mosquitoes make all four seasons pleasant. Allergies are not a problem by the beach.

3. Roses and most other flowers thrive in your garden with very little effort. I thought I was a great gardener, then I moved here and realized I was simply blessed to have a garden in LA. And there are no deer/foxes/rabbits at the beach. When you first move here, you think they're cute. After a few years you realize they are pests.

4. Girls rollerblading in bikinis on the strand. Happy moms with jogging strollers. Happy people doing business by talking on a cell phone sitting on the sand. The beach vibe is cheerful, optimistic, rejuvenating.

5. Groceries and most goods for sale are cheaper in LA than most other paces in the country. You may not believe this but it's true, even when you factor in the 8.5 sales tax.

6. It's relatively easy to get a job in LA. Just about any line of work can be found in LA. The general job climate is more cooperative and productive than in many other cities. (Do you think you have a problem with office politics? Hah!!! Try working near D.C. where people thrive on power trips. The northeast in general is very aggressive and very uncooperative. Nobody shares information or helps each other. You won't appreciate how nice the work environment is in LA until you move away.)

7. People are cheerful, and it's easy for newcomers to make friends. I really miss the general optimism of LA. People in the northeast are generally grumpy and clickish.

8. Churches seem more sincere, more spiritual in LA. Again, you probably won't believe this until you try living in the northeast. And, this is just my opinion. But I went to two fantastic churches during the time I lived in Redondo Beach, and I've never found any place like them out here. Religion here is just something you dutifully show up for on Sunday morning. Words are recited, but not really meant. People talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Go to church at American Martyrs in Manhattan Beach if you want a really spiritual experience. And then go surfing--that's a spiritual experience too!

We're staying in Virginia because I've found many things I like about living here, too. But I loved living in Redondo and I can easily see why it's worth every penny if you can possibly afford it.
Great post! I feel the same way you are. I don't have any complaints in Los Angeles,I find more postive energy here.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:10 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:

Great Post. Well written. No question, there is a lot of positive energy and cheerfulness in in SoCal.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:27 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
Hey, good post. BTW: My husband became a Christian in Redondo Beach, at Hope Chapel!!!! This was before I met him.

Dawn

Quote:

Old 09-02-2007, 10:23 PM

38,891 posts, read 22,875,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
Great post! I feel the same way you are. I don't have any complaints in Los Angeles,I find more postive energy here.
Yes, Normie, I fully agree with what everyone else said regarding your well-written post. I'm a lifelong SoCal resident, have visited other parts of the country and even thought I might want to relocate to a couple of them. But, after thinking long and hard of the positives and the negatives of living here, I felt that staying here would be the best thing for me. Aside from my family, friends and job, there are many reasons why I choose to stay here and dwell on the positive aspects, not the negative. Hopefully, you can get back here someday!

Old 09-03-2007, 04:14 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
We had quite a few mutual years in Redondo. My yard was amazing too. My rear lawn was full of mint and mixed with the sea air was a wonderful smell...

Quote:

Old 09-03-2007, 05:02 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,107 times
I really miss the smell of fog at night when it moves thru eucalyptus trees! You wouldn't notice that unless you've moved and have come back to visit.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:45 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I really miss the smell of fog at night when it moves thru eucalyptus trees! You wouldn't notice that unless you've moved and have come back to visit.
I remember coming back when I lived in Vegas...amazing.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:03 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,076 times
Nice post, normie! Too bad everybody can't live in CA while they're young... or can afford to move back when they're old. The weather... the beaches... the carefree, casual lifestyle... the sunny optimism, sense of adventure and carpe diem attitude. These parts of CA life symbolize the best America has to offer.

The negatives don't matter when you're young and open to "crashing" in a noisy, cramped apartment... or when you're older and have transcended the material. But life in the middle is when it gets hard and when a lot of CA lovers get squeezed out. Loving the lifestyle and being able to afford it are two very different things. It wasn't always that way... and may not be again... but it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles