Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 10:56 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

When I visited LA I was surprised at how sort of 'retro' alot of it still looked. I expected most of it to look super-modern, and while parts of it do (like around the Staples Center, Century City, Santa Monica, parts of Pasadena and Beverly Hills) alot of it (like the areas between LAX and Hollywood like Crenshaw or La Brea), the Sunset Strip, Santa Monica Blvd, Melrose, Vernon etc have a sort of latter 20th century vibe which I actually liked. Also should mention Venice which still retained a sort of 1960s boho feel along the waterfront. Would you agree/disagree? I'm contrasting it to cities like Nashville which have a kind of sterile 21st century feel to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,949,630 times
Well, downtown L.A. saw its emergence during the 1920's (Art Deco period), and most of the rest of it was built during the 1950's and 60's ("googie" architecture), so yeah, that would be expected. And the city never saw declines (at least not as much as major midwest cities have experienced), so there wasn't really much opportunity to do any landscape-altering renovations like some of the other cities that have re-emerged from a decline. Consider Manhattan. The buildings and architecture for the most part still look the same as they did since the middle of the last century also. Because by that time, the city was already very well-established, and had a strong identity of its own. Same with San Francisco. This is just my take on it, I'm sure someone else has something more valuable to add.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:55 AM

152 posts, read 155,981 times
lol I thought the same thing visiting LA, I'm from NYC everything is super modern here, especially in Fashion.
I thought I was a character in a 70's movie a couple times going through Inglewood and Culver City, I didn't get to check Long Beach. But the way a lot of people dressed, and their hairstyle had a 70's disco vibe to it.
I thought it was just a California thing.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:58 PM

559 posts, read 1,380,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
When I visited LA I was surprised at how sort of 'retro' alot of it still looked. I expected most of it to look super-modern, and while parts of it do (like around the Staples Center, Century City, Santa Monica, parts of Pasadena and Beverly Hills) alot of it (like the areas between LAX and Hollywood like Crenshaw or La Brea), the Sunset Strip, Santa Monica Blvd, Melrose, Vernon etc have a sort of latter 20th century vibe which I actually liked. Also should mention Venice which still retained a sort of 1960s boho feel along the waterfront. Would you agree/disagree? I'm contrasting it to cities like Nashville which have a kind of sterile 21st century feel to them.
*I wrote this before Vinsanity's post #2 but didn't get around to posting this so apologies or the redundancies.

The vast bulk of LA's development was during the 20th century so it's no surprise that it would have a 20th century "vibe." We're only a decade into the 21st century so I wouldn't expect the city to have taken on a modern look. What is a 21st century look at this point anyway?

Did you expect LA to look like Dubai or modern Shanghai? Even the skewed look of LA found in TV and movies doesn't look like that.

Most of LA was built out by mid-century to the seventies at the latest. Newer buildings usually require a teardown. We have a very good collection of pre-WWII houses of every genre as well as mid-century moderns and stucco boxes. Unfortunately, we are losing many of these as developers raze them for $$$. Case is point is an unusually large Richard Neutra house in Beverly Hills which is being threatened with demolition. Another is the planned destruction of the West Hall of the Convention Center so that a bunch of guys can toss a pointy ball around.

LA is ground zero for Tiki and Googie styles and at one point we had many buildings in those idioms. Unfortunately, only a fraction remain. In summary, LA's "look" is mainly determined by structures which were built a half to one century ago. We're not as young as many people think!

P.S. I've never been to Nashville. Is it really that modern looking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles