Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 11:50 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,158,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I don't think that has anything to do with what they consider themselves. They may be southeast asia geographically but as I've said many times on this site, one cannot just draw a line and decide for other people who they are. They know who they are better than we know who they are.
Gentoo scores a reppie!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:56 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Gentoo scores a reppie!
Thanks woof

Old 09-06-2011, 10:50 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,626 times
Quote:
I don't think that has anything to do with what they consider themselves. They may be southeast asia geographically but as I've said many times on this site, one cannot just draw a line and decide for other people who they are. They know who they are better than we know who they are.
Thank you. As someone who is regularly mistaken for Chinese, even by Chinese-Americans, then there's no denying at least a partial Asian identity.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:50 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Pilipinos are "Southeast Asians" like Malaysians, Indonesians, Thais, Vietnamese, Laotians, Cambodians, etc.

Unfortunately, some Pilipinos are so confused that they don't know whether to refer to themselves as "Pilipinos" or "Filipinos." There's no "F" sound in Tagalog or most of other indigenous languages spoken in the Philippines. However, over 300 years of Spanish colonization followed by approximately 50 years of American colonization can leave a country and its people a little confused about who and what they are.
Oh, the Filipinos I know definitely know who they are. You can look at it another way - their mixed cultural heritage of Malay/indigenous, Chinese, Spanish and American has probably helped them adapt to many different societies/situations - a lot of Filipinos work overseas and send their earnings home.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,371 times
gI am Vietnamese and I live in Los Angeles. I moved here 2 years ago and I was surprised to see that Hispanics are racist against Asians since I figure we are both minorities. Alot of young Latino men are racist. They say "ching chong" to me. Older Hispanic women in their 50s and 60s are too. They are racist because they are egotistical. They think Hispanics should be the only race in Los Angeles. I take the public bus and there are T.V.s on them. Sometimes, if not alot of times, they play things in Spanish.

Last edited by oceanlover17; 09-06-2011 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: grammatical error

Old 09-06-2011, 07:02 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
When it comes to Pilipinos, Mexicans, Chamoru and other peoples that were subjected to Spanish colonialism, others have decided who they are and who they are not for generations. However, Pilipinos are not a monolithic group. Even before the Spanish came to the 7,107 islands that were later dubbed "the Philippines", there were over 100 different indigenous tribal and ethnic groups there. From the Aeta to the Waray, all of them spoke different languages and had different customs and cultures. Some groups interbred, while others warred against each other. Thus, when someone says "Ako ay Pilipino" ("I am Pilipino") nowadays it's somewhat akin to saying that one is an "Australian", an "American", a "Chinese", or a "Mexican" -- identities in which geography and national unity often mask and subjugate diversity. For example, a Muslim Tausūg from the Sulu Province and an animist Ati from Panay are just as "Pilipino" as a Catholic Mestizo from Metro Manila; however, the cultural and linguistic differences among them are quite large. As a matter of fact, some Pilipinos have more in common with Malaysians and Indonesians than they do with other "Pilipinos."

In 1967, the Foreign Ministers of the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, and Thailand realized that their countries had much in common and formed the "Association of Southeast Asian Nations" (ASEAN).
ASEAN Member Countries

In 1971, independent Pacific Island nations (Nauru, Fiji, Western Samoa, Tonga, New Zealand) and Australia founded a similar group called the "South Pacific Forum", which later became the "Pacific Islands Forum" (PIF). The Philippines has never been (nor is likely to ever become) a member of the PIF because it has little in common with most of the independent nations of Polynesia, Melanesia, and Micronesia.
Pacific Islands Forum Member Countries

However, despite (and often because of) the international and domestic issues of the Philippines, many Pilipinos have emigrated to foreign countries and territories. Places in Micronesia like Guahan (Guam) and Saipan, places in Polynesia like Hawai'i, the continental United States, Canada, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, etc. all have large populations of immigrant Pilipinos and their descendants.

Unfortunately, it's usually the descendants of immigrant Pilipinos who don't know who they are and often need to be told that being born on an island that happens to touch the Pacific Ocean or one of their descendants doesn't necessarily make that person a "Pacific Islander."

Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
When it comes to Pilipinos, Mexicans, Chamoru and other peoples that were subjected to Spanish colonialism, others have decided who they are and who they are not for generations. However, Pilipinos are not a monolithic group. Even before the Spanish came to the 7,107 islands that were later dubbed "the Philippines", there were over 100 different indigenous tribal and ethnic groups there. From the Aeta to the Waray, all of them spoke different languages and had different customs and cultures. Some groups interbred, while others warred against each other. Thus, when someone says "Ako ay Pilipino" ("I am Pilipino") nowadays it's somewhat akin to saying that one is an "Australian", an "American", a "Chinese", or a "Mexican" -- identities in which geography and national unity often mask and subjugate diversity. For example, a Muslim Tausūg from the Sulu Province and an animist Ati from Panay are just as "Pilipino" as a Catholic Mestizo from Metro Manila; however, the cultural and linguistic differences among them are quite large. As a matter of fact, some Pilipinos have more in common with Malaysians and Indonesians than they do with other "Pilipinos."

In 1967, the Foreign Ministers of the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, and Thailand realized that their countries had much in common and formed the "Association of Southeast Asian Nations" (ASEAN).
ASEAN Member Countries

In 1971, independent Pacific Island nations (Nauru, Fiji, Western Samoa, Tonga, New Zealand) and Australia founded a similar group called the "South Pacific Forum", which later became the "Pacific Islands Forum" (PIF). The Philippines has never been (nor is likely to ever become) a member of the PIF because it has little in common with most of the independent nations of Polynesia, Melanesia, and Micronesia.
Pacific Islands Forum Member Countries

However, despite (and often because of) the international and domestic issues of the Philippines, many Pilipinos have emigrated to foreign countries and territories. Places in Micronesia like Guahan (Guam) and Saipan, places in Polynesia like Hawai'i, the continental United States, Canada, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, etc. all have large populations of immigrant Pilipinos and their descendants.

Unfortunately, it's usually the descendants of immigrant Pilipinos who don't know who they are and often need to be told that being born on an island that happens to touch the Pacific Ocean or one of their descendants doesn't necessarily make that person a "Pacific Islander."
Thanks for such an informative reply+1

Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,196,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanlover17 View Post
gI am Vietnamese and I live in Los Angeles. I moved here 2 years ago and I was surprised to see that Hispanics are racist against Asians since I figure we are both minorities. Alot of young Latino men are racist. They say "ching chong" to me. Older Hispanic women in their 50s and 60s are too. They are racist because they are egotistical. They think Hispanics should be the only race in Los Angeles. I take the public bus and there are T.V.s on them. Sometimes, if not alot of times, they play things in Spanish.
Some of them are still not over Mexico losing the war to the US back in 1848. Very similar to some of the rednecks down south that still think the Confederacy is alive and well.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:04 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Some of them are still not over Mexico losing the war to the US back in 1848. Very similar to some of the rednecks down south that still think the Confederacy is alive and well.

Two very different situations and two very different wars.

One a just war (the civil war), the other an unjust war (the U.S.-Mexican War).

To quote Ulysses S. Grant on the U.S.-Mexican War, "I was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day, regard the war, which resulted, as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation."

Old 09-06-2011, 09:07 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,958,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Two very different situations and two very different wars.

One a just war (the civil war), the other an unjust war (the U.S.-Mexican War).

To quote Ulysses S. Grant on the U.S.-Mexican War, "I was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day, regard the war, which resulted, as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation."
I reported you btw a few days ago for accusing me of being the same person as Nicole818. Just wanted to let you know... I still haven't forgotten nor forgiven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles