Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 11,608 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a young, black female from Chicago and I am moving California in April '08. I am interested in the Studio City and Toluca Lake areas (job related). I currently live in a ethnically diverse area where everyone openly respects others difference. I would like to continue to live in a similar area.

Where I have been told (by my employers) that Studio City/ Toluca Lake area is very nice. I have also been told that areas in "The Valley" can be unfriendly to blacks. No offense, but I will be a living alone. Where I can handle the random strange glance, I wouldn't want to get into something deeper.

Can anyone shed some light on this area. Should I be looking for other areas? If so, where?

Thanks and once again I don't mean to offend anyone. I have lived in the MW all life and have no clue about how California works.

Last edited by Cinestarr; 02-21-2008 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 12:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinestarr View Post
Hi, I am a young, black female from Chicago and I am moving California in April '08. I am interested in the Studio City and Toluca Lake areas (job related). I currently live in a ethnically diverse area where everyone openly respects others difference. I would like to continue to live similar area.

Where I have been told (by my employers) that Studio City/ Toluca Lake area is very nice. I have also been told that areas in "The Valley" can be unfriendly to blacks. No offense, but I will be a living alone. Where I can handle the random strange glance, I wouldn't want to get into something deeper.

Can anyone shed some light on this area. Should I be looking for other areas? If so, where?

Thanks and once again I don't mean to offend anyone. I have lived in the MW all life and have no clue about how California works.
Those areas are pretty cool places to live. I don't sense a bunch of discrimination of hatefulness towards blacks there. There are some parts of the valley that are really white - but even in those places I don't sense a lot of anti-black feelings. It is really important to live close to where you work too. Your biggest concerns would really be finding a nice place to live within budget and finding a place to live that isn't a bad drive.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:54 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
You will absolutely love both areas. I am a Toluca Lake expert. I lived in Toluca Lake for many years before moving to Sherman Oaks and it is a very open and diverse community. I was very hesitant on selling my property there and moving to Sherman Oaks because I just loved it so much.

Both areas are very diverse and you'll see all types of people there.

Toluca Lake - Great places to hangout. Priscillas Coffee house, Patys, Timmy Nolans, Nippon Sushi, Bob's Big Boy, Don Cucos. I loved the community and neigbhorhood feel of Toluca Lake. Used to hang out at Priscillas and got to know all the locals and neighbors. Everyone knew everyone, loved it. I see a lot of interracial couples and children and of course your "stars" every now and then. I loved seeing Bob Hope being wheeled around the neighborhood on his golf cart before he died.

Studio City - Another one of the most open and diverse areas of LA. Walk down the street or visit any restaraunt or Starbucks and you'll hear people speaking in English, Hebrew, Russian, Farsi, Armenian, Polish, Spanish, Japanese. You'll feel right at home here as well. I love how whenever I go to Trader Joes, Starbucks, Jumpin Java etc. how people always smile and say hello.

You cant go wrong with either location.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:00 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
Quote:
I have also been told that areas in "The Valley" can be unfriendly to blacks.
That is preposterous. I seriously would question your source. There are no areas that are unfriendly to Blacks but there are areas that are just flat out unfriendly and dangerous areas to live for most anyone. These are the areas where there is usually heavy Mexican gang activity like Panorama City, parts of Van Nuys, Canoga Park, NoHo. Again, these are only PARTS of these areas that are not cool.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:37 PM

396 posts, read 1,723,791 times
i live in west toluca lake, and i love it here, very close to everything. it is a great area, very safe and quiet, and definantly open to other races. ive seen very few black people, but i havent really been looking. my apartment building is probably 75% non-white, and we all get along.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:49 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,826 times
As long as you don't move into an area full of mexicans...you shouldn't see racism. Unless you move in with old jewish people who hate blacks. Overall, you should be fine though. Los Angeles would be different, but the valley is better.

/SWM 4 SBF

just kidding

Old 02-22-2008, 08:42 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,359 times
Quote:
I have also been told that areas in "The Valley" can be unfriendly to blacks. No offense, but I will be a living alone. Where I can handle the random strange glance, I wouldn't want to get into something deeper.
It might have been unfriendly 30-40 years ago, but not today. The Valley like the rest of LA is very diverse and integrated. You'll be fine.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:12 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,112,942 times
Default Sister to Sister

You'll be fine in those areas. If you feel the need to be around a more solid black population and need some soul food, come down to Ventura Blvd, turn left (it will turn into Highland at the Hollywood Bowl), when you get to Wilshire, turn left, when you get to Crenshaw, turn right and keep going in about a mile you'll start seeing familiar faces and if you keep driving to Martin Luther King on the left you'll find M&M Soul food. The service is bad but the food is good. You'll also be across from Wal-Mart and the Magic Johnson theatre. Down a little further you'll be in Leimert Park where a lot of cultural events take place. Most black people who still live in L.A. live in Leimert Park, Baldwin Hills or Angeles Heights which all come together right there. Unfortunately, "the Jungle" also sits in the middle of that. Maybe one day they'll come around,*deep sigh*.

Where I've described is about 30 minutes away depending on traffic.

Good Luck and Welcome to L.A.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:03 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,142,740 times
I'm a single Black female too. I've lived in Sherman Oaks and work in
Studio City. You won't have any problems. No one will even notice you.
You're just another person and most people are friendly and accepting.
I think your source might have been talking about the situation with Black and
Mexican Gangs where they start taking out innocent members of the others
ethnic group for revenge. I have a 19 year old son and there are parts of
the valley I like him to stay out of when this is happening.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:32 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
I'm a single Black female too. I've lived in Sherman Oaks and work in
Studio City. You won't have any problems. No one will even notice you.
You're just another person and most people are friendly and accepting.
I think your source might have been talking about the situation with Black and
Mexican Gangs where they start taking out innocent members of the others
ethnic group for revenge. I have a 19 year old son and there are parts of
the valley I like him to stay out of when this is happening.

Agreed. You'll be a good distance from areas like Canoga park (north west valley) where gangs have been targeting black people. You'll like Sherman Oaks and Studio City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles