Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:31 PM

19 posts, read 31,070 times

Advertisements

With the extremely high costs of living in LA, how do aspiring filmmakers (and other aspiring artists/entertainers) make it work? I am fairly certain that I'll have to move to LA to pursue TV writing and film-making, but I'm getting nervous about how exactly I'll survive doing this...

I've heard time and time again that doing unpaid internships in the field is extremely important, but how do people do this if they also have to have full-time jobs to pay the rent and other expenses? Can aspiring entertainers survive on part-time job wages so they can complete internships or is this almost entirely out of the question? I'd ideally have at least a little spending money so I can enjoy what the city has to offer as well. The only way I can see it working is if I shared an apartment with about 6 room-mates, but even then, I'm skeptical.

Any insight and advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 04:37 PM

313 posts, read 778,797 times
Looking at Craigslist it appears there are bohemian dorm style houses that are like 500 bucks a month. I feel too old for that sort of thing, but that kind of price seems enticing.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:39 PM

Dorm style? Those words scare me. :P But thanks for the tip! I'll look into that for sure.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:04 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
and I wouldn't ask any advice from any aspiring film makers already in LA, they'll only try to discourage you because the last thing they want is more people coming in and competing for the few jobs there are

Old 10-11-2011, 06:08 PM

927 posts, read 2,467,001 times
Intern for free during the day. Deliver pizzas at night for rent money and free food.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:04 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
As a filmmaker myself, I have to say... LA really is the place to do it. And you kinda DO need extra money to go to mixers, networking parties & writing workshops. Meeting and networking with people is probably the most important thing you can do. You really REALLY need to "know" people.

Luckily, it's pretty easy to meet people out here. And, I have to say, for the most part... people are quite willing to be helpful if you have talent. Network network connections connections.

As for "how," I really can't help you. Save save save. Live in a crappy apartment with a bunch of people. Eat a lot of beans & rice.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the replies so far!

Readymade, when you first started out, did you have a full-time job and also do an internship at the same time? Did you have a part-time/internship? Or some other route entirely?

Old 10-11-2011, 08:52 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
An entirely different route. I'm actually a freelance web designer.
My husband & I made a documentary using flip cameras (which I do NOT recommend doing... the Flip cameras, I mean. But you probably already know that). It was going to be a little YouTube thing, but kind of blew up as my husband uncovered more and more information in his research (it's essentially about UFOs). We were going to try to edit it ourselves but discovered (gasp) that we didn't know how to.

We put an ad for an editor on Craigslist, and a small production company contacted us saying they were interested in meeting with us as they were looking for a documentary to produce. In short, they produced it & edited it, hooked us up with a couple of celebrities who agreed to be in it for free, and we're now in the process of deciding which sales & distribution deal to go with and what film festivals to enter. Apparently because it's about UFOs, it's extremely popular right now. One distribution company called it a "slam dunk" without having seen it.

All very surreal and a LOT of luck involved. Being at the right place at the right time.

On the other side of it, my friend has been "in the business" for over 15 years (acting, directing, producing) trying to get her foot in the door. She's done some stuff here & there but nothing major. Only NOW does she have agent/management interest after she took a job as a producer for a show where she had to work 12 hour days starting at 4:30am.

Previously, she made a "for YouTube" series that she sunk $20K of her own money into. While the series went nowhere, a couple of the "right" people saw it and hired her for the 12-hour producing gig I mentioned. She's slightly pissed (but happy for us) that it was so "easy" for us. She does graphic design as her "day job" as well.

It's tough. There's a lot of luck involved. I know she goes to a lot of mixers and networking parties and has met some great people who have helped her.

I went to a great "writing for TV" workshop and met a couple of very successful showrunners & writers (one of whom I'm now friendly with. See how that works?). They all said that the single most important thing is to have hundreds of ideas and not to fixate on just one. If no one likes one idea, well, you've got 50 other great ones in the hopper.

They also said not to underestimate the power of YouTube, and I highly HIGHLY agree! They ALL said that EVERYTHING is about YouTube now. Make something awesome & upload it. Just keep creating. Get fans. That's something you can do from anywhere... not just LA.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:54 PM

497 posts, read 1,504,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
They also said not to underestimate the power of YouTube, and I highly HIGHLY agree! They ALL said that EVERYTHING is about YouTube now. Make something awesome & upload it. Just keep creating. Get fans. That's something you can do from anywhere... not just LA.

+1

Anywhere...look at how the Jack*** series started...and Bam Margera. They did there thing in their home towns. Most efficient...your talent is the same no matter where you go...go for a place where you can devote the most time to your talent to get started.

Then upload your vids here so we can see what you do.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:54 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times
Spend a couple thousand on a camera and a cheap computer and learn After Effects, Photoshop and Premiere. Post your videos on YouTube. If you're any good, people will notice you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles