Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 10:55 AM

8 posts, read 19,377 times

Advertisements

My brother and I have written a couple of spec screenplays and are working on wrapping up two more together in the forthcoming months (among probably 12 other ideas or drafts to start on), and I mentioned in another post we were planning on moving to LA from Virginia, hopefully sometime by the end of next summer. We are planning on (hopefully) lining up gainful employment before we leave and are beginning to look for areas to live, trying to be prepared as much as possible with having "regular jobs" while we go after the dream.

My main question is, is it recommended, in screenwriting, to up and send a unsolicited sheet of loglines (and/or phone call) to literary/talent agencies, here from VA, or is it recommended to move to LA, attempt to meet with industry contacts and potential representation? I hear different stories from books, websites, et al., but would like to hear from some current, former or other aspiring screenwriters on this one if possible.

I know the adage is "if you're good, they'll find you no matter where you are", though does this hold the same weight with this field? Granted, I know the larger agencies reject unsolicited mail and probably wouldn't take on new screenwriters anyways, regardless of how good the idea/script is, would they?

Thanks for your replies in advance, and any other advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 03:43 PM

47 posts, read 190,562 times
If you want to be a screenwriter, you MUST be in LA. Meetings can be thrown at you with little or no notice and a writer who isn't serious enough to drop everything and move to LA is not considered someone that producers, studios, directors, and agents are willing to talk to.

That said, I've heard tons of conflicting stories on how people get into the business. Usually it's because of someone you know, have met, or will meet. Good, commercial writing is looked for by Agents, good writing is looked for by managers (they feel they can cultivate good, commercial ideas), and commercial ideas are looked for by producers/studios.

Unfortunately, agents are most people's first steps, so you have to learn to be a good writer and ahve commercial ideas before someone else will look at you.

It's still customary to send a query letter to agencies, but be sure to include a SASE or you won't hear back, unless they are completely all about your idea.

I lived around Blacksburg, VA for a few years before coming out here, and came because I got into USC's screenwriting program this past year. After a whole year, contacts are still at a minimum, and quality specs are still not pouring out of my portfolio.

It's a tough business to attempt, and a VERY small percentage of people who try actually even marginally succeed, let alone eek out a living. Of course it's possible to make it if you're a good writer full of ideas, but there's more to screenwriting than writing. People skills are a must, thick skin is a must, and a very strong work ethic is a must.

My two cents.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:54 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
Good luck with your screenwriting career. Getting your foot in the door there is tough. Keep your eyes and ears open for networking opportunities and hustle like nobody's business.

This doesn't really have anything to do with your question, but just as an entertainment consumer, do you have any ideas that aren't based on tv shows, remakes or geared to an audience of 14 year old boys? Serious films for adults seem to be in such short supply because Hollywood seems to be out of ideas now (well, not now, more like the last 20 years or so). It would help if you can fill a unique niche ideawise that isn't already being addressed by the industry.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
This doesn't really have anything to do with your question, but just as an entertainment consumer, do you have any ideas that aren't based on tv shows, remakes or geared to an audience of 14 year old boys? Serious films for adults seem to be in such short supply because Hollywood seems to be out of ideas now (well, not now, more like the last 20 years or so). It would help if you can fill a unique niche ideawise that isn't already being addressed by the industry.
Funny that you asked that as more than half of my ideas are original and adult-based; serious films for adults, and most of the others are geared across demographics.

Thanks so much for the advice; I'm always working to fine tune both my ideas and writing to make this a reality.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:23 AM

Default Advice for Aspiring Screenwriters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvdevindavis View Post
If you want to be a screenwriter, you MUST be in LA. Meetings can be thrown at you with little or no notice and a writer who isn't serious enough to drop everything and move to LA is not considered someone that producers, studios, directors, and agents are willing to talk to.
Thanks for that advice; it makes more than enough sense.

Quote:
That said, I've heard tons of conflicting stories on how people get into the business. Usually it's because of someone you know, have met, or will meet. Good, commercial writing is looked for by Agents, good writing is looked for by managers (they feel they can cultivate good, commercial ideas), and commercial ideas are looked for by producers/studios.
I was an athlete agent previously; its so interesting the way twists and turns can have you in front of clients, prospective clients and other contacts. I'm looking forward to a new challenge.

Quote:
Unfortunately, agents are most people's first steps, so you have to learn to be a good writer and ahve commercial ideas before someone else will look at you.

It's still customary to send a query letter to agencies, but be sure to include a SASE or you won't hear back, unless they are completely all about your idea.

I lived around Blacksburg, VA for a few years before coming out here, and came because I got into USC's screenwriting program this past year. After a whole year, contacts are still at a minimum, and quality specs are still not pouring out of my portfolio.
VT? I lived outside of Roanoke for a good while.

Quote:
It's a tough business to attempt, and a VERY small percentage of people who try actually even marginally succeed, let alone eek out a living. Of course it's possible to make it if you're a good writer full of ideas, but there's more to screenwriting than writing. People skills are a must, thick skin is a must, and a very strong work ethic is a must.

My two cents.
Thanks so much for your insight; I definitely plan on keeping at it, getting a decent day job and knocking down the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles