Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 05:21 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,961,012 times

Advertisements

I looked at it before but never realized that I'm right above the underground garage where cars go in and out every day. Was the manager supposed to tell me or no?

I assumed that I was right above the entrance of the building where people walked in. I didn't realize it was the garage and I can hear the gate opening all the time. The manager never told me... Is it my own fault for not noticing and paying attention when I toured the property? Yes, I saw the unit and was inside for awhile... I also toured the parking garage; I just didn't realize that my unit is above the driveway where cars go in and out 100x a day.

I just forgot to check I guess... I can hear it when cars drive in... and I can hear the gate opening...

Last edited by jackie100; 10-18-2011 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 05:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I assumed that I was right above the entrance of the building where people walked in.
There's the answer to your question. Thread closed.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:29 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Is it my own fault for not knowing that my unit is right under a garage?

I looked at it before but never realized...
I assumed that...
I didn't realize it was...
The manager never told me...

Is it my own fault for not noticing and paying attention...
I just forgot to check I guess...
I can hear it when cars drive in...
and I can hear the gate opening...
I bet someone could put these lyrics to some music...
I'm seeing Phoebe Boufet or maybe Jewel singing...

hth

ps when ASCAP asks? just DM me and we'll get all that stuff straight.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I bet someone could put these lyrics to some music...
I'm seeing Phoebe Boufet or maybe Jewel singing...

hth

ps when ASCAP asks? just DM me and we'll get all that stuff straight.
You made me LOL

Old 10-18-2011, 06:11 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Years ago we lived in an apartment exactly the same as yours....and all day and night long, we heard the garage doors open and close. Like you, we never thought about it while touring it. We lasted a year there. Good luck!

Old 10-18-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Years ago we lived in an apartment exactly the same as yours....and all day and night long, we heard the garage doors open and close. Like you, we never thought about it while touring it. We lasted a year there. Good luck!
Of course the manager is not going to mention when they show it to you right?

i would rather hear people arguing or dogs barking then the gate open all day and night.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:36 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times
The manager's job is to rent the apartments, so obviously he or she isn't going to point out the flaws of living there. "If I were you, I'd try to find a different place to rent, as this apartment is really noisy." I wish! (And now it's even more obvious why new tenants are usually forced to sign a 12-month lease.)

Old 10-18-2011, 07:49 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Of course the manager is not going to mention when they show it to you right?
Right.

I had this one house once that I could only show late on weekday mornings... about 10:30 to noon after everyone had left for work and the buses had stopped running. It's how the game is played.

Talk to the mgr about wanting to move or moving out. Serious.
If you're a good tenant type they'll accommodate you when they can.

hth

Old 10-18-2011, 08:42 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,920,043 times
you dun goofed

Old 10-18-2011, 08:44 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Quote:
I assumed that I was right above the entrance of the building where people walked in. I didn't realize it was the garage and I can hear the gate opening all the time.
Aw damn! I sympathize with your problem.

You made a mistake. I think it's a recoverable one. Go talk to the manager and request that you be shown any other available units, or request to be informed when units are vacated that you might change to. I think it might be reasonable to be charged some fee to move (related to cleaning) but you shouldn't just assume right off that management will be unsympathetic to your request.

It's entirely reasonable to expect to be moved as soon as you can be accommodated. I had exactly this same situation when I rented an apartment which turned out to be right over a freeway on ramp. I had to wait a few weeks until they had a vacancy on the other side of the building, and ended up with a much nicer and very quiet (for apartments) apartment. It was a nicer apartment and because of that my rent went up a bit but I was a lot happier there than I would have been in the first apartment.

Last edited by Lovehound; 10-18-2011 at 08:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles