Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:02 PM

25 posts, read 41,238 times

Advertisements

Wtf I can't tell you how annoying it is every time I write "moving to la to be an actor,where should i live?" And 37 people feel the need to post about how I am a stupid kid with pipe dreams (I'm 27 and just graduated acting college in NYC)- and how I have no idea what to expect and actors should stop coming to la and stay where they are. It's really aggravating that people just assume all actors are little kids who are moving here because they saw it on "the oc". Some of us are adults with realistic expectations and moving here is something they have literally been planning a lifetime. If you hate actors so much, maybe la isn't the place that YOU should be living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I'm sure if you posted your realistic expectations you wouldn't get quite as many messages.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:46 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyJay View Post
Wtf I can't tell you how annoying it is every time I write "moving to la to be an actor,where should i live?" And 37 people feel the need to post about how I am a stupid kid with pipe dreams (I'm 27 and just graduated acting college in NYC)- and how I have no idea what to expect and actors should stop coming to la and stay where they are. It's really aggravating that people just assume all actors are little kids who are moving here because they saw it on "the oc". Some of us are adults with realistic expectations and moving here is something they have literally been planning a lifetime. If you hate actors so much, maybe la isn't the place that YOU should be living.
Believe it or not, there is more to LA than the entertainment industry.

Honestly on this forum I don't see many people 'hating' on actors. Mostly just failed actors/entertainment industry wannabe's complaining about how much they hate LA because they don't plan ahead.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:48 PM

Oh yea I don't mean this forum specifically, just in general that is the attitude I get on a lot of sites and reading other posts- i didn't know if it was something I should expect lol

Old 02-21-2012, 12:52 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Oh yea I don't mean this forum specifically, just in general that is the attitude I get on a lot of sites.
It's because 99 percent of those that come to 'make it big' end up failing tremendously. Often these people spend 6-12 miserable months without work, blowing their saving and are forced to move home. They then proceed to talk Moderator cut: language about LA and how terrible/self-centered/materialistic the city.

Regular folks that live here and enjoy the city are probably just sick of it.

Doesn't seem like you are that type. Did you decide on the place by Runyon? (took a look at your old posts )

Last edited by Count David; 02-22-2012 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: language

Old 02-21-2012, 01:46 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
Quote:
So what do you want from LA to be a working actor or a STAR.
Stars a few and far between and most are ****ed in the head.

If you want to come to LA and work then there is plenty of work to be done.
Not so much if you want to work 2 hours a day and party for 8.
This world does exist it’s my world but it took 30 years to get here.
Don’t think physical perfection will get you there it may or it may get you an early grave.
Do it slow do it calm and you will get here..

Old 02-21-2012, 01:46 PM

164 posts, read 606,874 times
A few points:

1. Don't take it all at face value. Sometimes they're just teasing you lightly with a wink and a hint of good natured sarcasm, and it doesn't come across that way in writing.

2. What others said. Yes not every aspiring actor is naive and flakey, but there's enough of them out there to give actors as bad name.

3. In LA, especially around industry people, everyone knows that it is all about hard work + patience + luck (and you need hard work and patience in the first place before you become lucky and even then a lot of people still aren't lucky). Talent in LA is a commodity -- way more amazingly talented people than there are actual gigs. As a newcomer, just treat the eye rolling as a form of hazing. Stick around for a few years, and people will treat you different.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:48 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
This is an issue of semantics. People on this forum "hate" on people requesting info on moving here, and typically those people have no clue what they're getting into - rental prices, gas prices, taxes, size of "Los Angeles", commute times, etc. These people come here having done no research and expect to be given the answers they want. We certainly do 'hate' on them, because like most of our culture today, these people expect to be given what they want, and get agitated when they don't get the answers that suit them.

It just so happens that a majority of these people claim to be actors/actresses, so they become guilty by association.

Believe me - we hate equally on anyone planning on moving here without half a clue of what it actually takes to live here - actor or not.

*all personally opinions, of course.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:19 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
A lot of transplants or soon-to-be-transplants have an extremely narrow scope of Los Angeles and its surrounding areas.

They expect certain answers when asking questions. If your answers do not support their understanding of the Los Angeles metropolitan area, they get very aggravated and upset.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:45 PM

Ok cool this has made me feel a lot better! Haha thanks for the great responses and @munchitup- we did decide to go with the place by Runyon Canyon! Can't wait
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles