Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 16,878 times

Advertisements

We live in Park Slope Brooklyn and will be making a move to LA later this year or early next. Have a 5 year old.
Love Los Feliz/Franklin Hills and Silver Lake/Echo Park, but think we'll be priced out (we're priced out of Park Slope but lucked out with great rent stabilized place years ago).
Need at least a 2bed+/2 bath with a yard, parking and good schools. And some walkability!
How up and coming are Highland and Glassell Park? I see a lot of great new flips on the market.
To get a house we can afford are we going to have to go private schools?
Eagle Rock didn't do it for me on a quick drive through. Mt. Washington isn't walkable. Pasadena?
Burbank is too suburban for me, but are there other places in the Valley to consider? Parts of Hollywood?
I've done a lot of research (and several visits) but would love more information, feedback.
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 AM

67 posts, read 128,303 times
You will be disappointed. LA is not a walking city like NY. Don't have sidewalk shops like ny. It's mostly strip malls. Therefore, people drive not walk. Pasadena is not park slope. There are shops on the street but it's only 2-3 blocks long. After that, strip malls again. LA is a city, but in reality it's a big suburban city. Not metropolis like NY. Rent in LA is slightly cheaper than NYC, but not much. Big difference, get more sq footage in LA than NYC. You can try renting a house if you want a yard. It will be more than 2000. Public school in LA is not the greatest. Why don't you come out here for a week. Rent a car and drive around the areas you want to live in. You need to rent a car here, mass transit sucks

Old 04-15-2012, 10:41 AM

215 posts, read 490,896 times
Actually rent is much cheaper in LA than in NYC, in fact statistically it is on average 110% cheaper than Manhattan and 90% cheaper than Brooklyn. Also not every neighborhood is full of strip malls. I don't ever drive in my neighborhood, I walk everywhere in Los Feliz. Downtown is also very walkable as are many of the beach cities and a number of other neighborhoods. You do need a car more than you would in other cities because its hard to get between neighborhoods unless you live near the train, but that is improving as well.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:35 AM

274 posts, read 1,218,100 times
Mmmmm I live in glasses park and walk everywhere with my kids. It is all about your mindset. People here do not try to walk. I also get the bus for 25 cents down to Glendale which is a very pleasant city with big fancy shopping centre.
Highland park is indeed on the up......on York lots of cool cafes....another has just opened last week. Some very nice people we know live round there. Houses reasonable......I reckon 300 k could get you a 2 bed if you looked well and you can get houses from 350. I really like Hp...like a poor man's silver lake.occidental college near so if you ever needed to rentbitbout and move elsewhere for schools.
That will be your problem......schools are apparently poor but there are charters on the horizon......so what a you save on a house in eagle rock, you will spend on school fees.
Mountbwashington elementary however is outstanding.....personally I would buy up there for the school.....but yes it is a workout to walk down to Hp.
How exciting to move.
I find la is fabulous for kids myself...loads to do.cheaper than London for us. People are lovely........well the parents we have met are....all in Hp and Glendale area.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:39 AM

274 posts, read 1,218,100 times
My friend just rented the most adorable cottage in HP for 1800,all utilities included, yard and 2 beds.
Now you cannot get that in NY I imagine! You will love it here I am sure. And California is amazing......we no longer take planes for holidays as there is so much on your doorstep.....not sure all Californians entirely appreciate the beauty of this state, reading some of the comments on these boards.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:54 AM

459 posts, read 723,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynfam View Post
We live in Park Slope Brooklyn and will be making a move to LA later this year or early next. Have a 5 year old.
Love Los Feliz/Franklin Hills and Silver Lake/Echo Park, but think we'll be priced out (we're priced out of Park Slope but lucked out with great rent stabilized place years ago).
Need at least a 2bed+/2 bath with a yard, parking and good schools. And some walkability!
How up and coming are Highland and Glassell Park? I see a lot of great new flips on the market.
To get a house we can afford are we going to have to go private schools?
Eagle Rock didn't do it for me on a quick drive through. Mt. Washington isn't walkable. Pasadena?
Burbank is too suburban for me, but are there other places in the Valley to consider? Parts of Hollywood?
I've done a lot of research (and several visits) but would love more information, feedback.
Thanks!
Walkablility is sort of the one thing that you may have to let go of. I mean you CAN walk everywhere, but it'll be better to just take mass transit or even eventually get a car.
Not many places are completely "walkable" in LA...though it is entirely possible.
Pasadena could be good, though maybe just barely with your budget.
Highland Park and Glassell Park are OK, but don't put all your hopes there. I'd say they're not entirely safe neighborhoods for children.

Good luck, then!

Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 7,481 times
Also check echo park and Historic Filipino Town - area just south of Silverlake - otherside of 101 freeway. Not sure of schools there but might be worth checking - lots of buses around. Also check Eagle Rock area. Exciting move!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:44 AM

4 posts, read 16,878 times
Thanks for all the responses, especially the details from those of you living in the area.
We've spent a few week-long trips over the past year trying to get familiar with the city and while the schools and neighborhoods of Los Feliz and Silver Lake are fantastic, we are trying to see if we can find alternatives that aren't as pricey. Sounds like it would be possible, except for the schools.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,901 times
Also be aware that unlike New York, the cops strictly enforce "jaywalking" laws in LA. That's something I had to get used to when I moved there. They'll ticket you for entering a crosswalk after the flashing red hand comes up (unheard of on the East Coast!), and don't even think about crossing a street in between two intersections.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:22 AM

33 posts, read 109,864 times
Seeing you are from Brooklyn, it is understandable you'd be attracted to Silver Lake / Echo Park or Los Feliz. That said, don't give up on these areas or nearby on the home hunt. Los Feliz & SL is slightly higher priced than EP so the latter would be your better bet. Someone earlier suggested Echo Park's Historic Filipinotown (HiFi) section which I strongly second. This neighborhood is within Echo Park (walkable), a stones throw to Silver Lake and recently being discovered by gentrifiers pushing south. Unknown to many, there's a school called "Commonwealth Avenue Elementary School" that straddles both HiFi & Korea Town which scores, not a perfect 10, but decently for a public elementary in the city. Also, "Camino Nuevo Charter High School " is a strong option for the High School in the area. The nearby "Pilgrim School" is an excellent private school alternative that has 100% college bound success for all their grads. HiFi ranks as a big "Bargain" in my book. It is so central to the urban action, and portions are very walkable. The other upsides are; proximity to Downtown LA, K-town, adjacent to Sliver Lake, near Los Feliz, has housing stock of Craftman style homes and so on. Also check out the Rampart Village nabe since the boundaries between it & HiFi are very grey. (avoid the area South of 3rd street beginning at Rampart Blvd as that's getting into the McArthur Park neighborhood) For the requirements you listed....it may be worth looking into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles