Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 PM

497 posts, read 1,505,238 times

Advertisements

Is there something about Chicago that causes people to move to Los Angeles and talk about Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,125,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
Is there something about Chicago that causes people to move to Los Angeles and talk about Chicago.
I'll give you a timeline:

Indifferent towards LA, then move to Chicago.

First snow, love it. 2nd snow, couldn't wait, 3rd Snow hmm,(started working) 4th snow, eh..

Miss Cali.

however, uncle took me to downtown Chicago for the first time. OMG LOOK AT THESE HUGE FREAKIN' BUILDINGS! IT'S A CANYON OF GLASS AND CONCRETE!

Never seen anything like it. Since then I loved going. I knew I'd come back to L.A. again. I then started looking up L.A. and finding pics of downtown.

Eventually I moved back. The first time I went to downtown, it was like Chicago was burglarized leaving big gaps between the buildings.

That's when you realize how undeveloped downtown really is.

And also how neglected and not given any love for such a long time. It's a city in need of growing up. A city that is asking for the architectural beauty of it's siblings around the world.

Chicago was the first time I saw what a real city looks like. L.A. is a city dont get me wrong. But it wasn't the full package.

Atleast that's me. If I was a dictator, I'd say "*********r hatred for skycrapers, I'm gonna build them"
I'd then proceed to level beverley hills.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,570,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post

First snow, love it. 2nd snow, couldn't wait, 3rd Snow hmm,(started working) 4th snow, eh..

Miss Cali.

however, uncle took me to downtown Chicago for the first time. OMG LOOK AT THESE HUGE FREAKIN' BUILDINGS! IT'S A CANYON OF GLASS AND CONCRETE!

Never seen anything like it. Since then I loved going. I knew I'd come back to L.A. again. I then started looking up L.A. and finding pics of downtown.

Eventually I moved back. The first time I went to downtown, it was like Chicago was burglarized leaving big gaps between the buildings.

And also how neglected and not given any love for such a long time. It's a city in need of growing up. A city that is asking for the architectural beauty of it's siblings around the world.

Chicago was the first time I saw what a real city looks like. L.A. is a city dont get me wrong. But it wasn't the full package.

Atleast that's me. If I was a dictator, I'd say "*********r hatred for skycrapers, I'm gonna build them"
At the turn of the last century, Chicago's population was approaching 2 million. The population of Los Angeles? 100,000.

If you are going to live in this city and profess an interest in its development, it helps to have an elementary appreciation of its history.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:27 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,878,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
At the turn of the last century, Chicago's population was approaching 2 million. The population of Los Angeles? 100,000.

If you are going to live in this city and profess an interest in its development, it helps to have an elementary appreciation of its history.

Honestly what I find very urban about Los Angeles is not so much downtown (though it is the most 'urban' part of the city), but how neighborhoods like Koreatown and Hollywood and Los Feliz compare to similar neighborhoods in Chicago. Skyscrapers are great but they are mostly for vanity.

Last edited by munchitup; 04-06-2012 at 09:40 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,142,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post

Miss Cali.

How the hell would leveling a beautiful and densely built neighborhood like Beverly Hills (at least in the triangle between Wilshire and Santa Monica) help to do anything?

Chicago DOWNTOWN is the full package. LA CITY and METRO area is the full package. Look at the youtube video I posted. Take Wilshire from downtown to Santa Monica. Look at the string of high rises along Wilshire in Westwood. There is nothing like that outside downtown Chicago 15 miles away.

Here is my list of densely populated, fun, lively neighborhoods in LA: Hollywood, West Hollywood, Los Feliz

Downtown Chicago is awesome it really is. But realize that that part of Chicago that appeals to true city people, is somewhat of a small slice.

The South side is 60% of the city. Throw in the west side thats another 10%. Its largely a bombed out industrial wasteland that makes South Central and Compton full of vitality.
Beyond that are the suburbs which are more conservative than LA area, that are less diverse, where most people are from there.

You need to get back to New York or Chicago. Thats obviously where you belong. You love downtown life and not much more. You don't like exploring the whole city or metro area. If you did, you would prefer LA. You are more of a live in downtown bubble, in that case those other cities are more for you.

Unless there are family obligations keeping you in LA why not move?

Old 04-06-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Honestly what I find very urban about Los Angeles is not so much downtown (though it is the most 'urban' part of the city), but how neighborhoods like Koreatown and Hollywood and Los Feliz compare to similar neighborhoods in Chicago. Skyscrapers are great but they are mostly for vanity.
Check out these completely empty space just a walk away from the Sears Tower. Chicago really never needed to build that tall.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=S.+Pau...ois+60608&z=16

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=150+W....ois+60605&z=16

Look at these VERY suburban looking neighborhoods in the South Loop. (Dearborn Park). A stone throw away from Sears Tower

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=South+...ois+60605&z=16

Last edited by Tex?Il?; 04-06-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 10:21 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,878,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Check out these completely empty space just a walk away from the Sears Tower. Chicago really never needed to build that tall.

Google Maps

Google Maps
Exactly - Chicago basically built a showcase in their downtown area, and because of that area, the Loop, tourists think the entire city is like that. While Chicago is definitely very urban, IMO it is overall less urban than Los Angeles. LA has a true "mega-city" feel to it while Chicago is more just a "big-city" feel.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Exactly - Chicago basically built a showcase in their downtown area, and because of that area, the Loop, tourists think the entire city is like that. While Chicago is definitely very urban, IMO it is overall less urban than Los Angeles. LA has a true "mega-city" feel to it while Chicago is more just a "big-city" feel.
And now I actually have the link to the streets that I wanted to show.

Chicano needs to look at that Wilshire Blvd. video I posted, to understand how urban LA really is.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 AM

497 posts, read 1,505,238 times
Comin out here to make LA into Chicago...thats what I mean. why this need?

Maybe Chicago should just build a big dome around the City and paint it blue. Then they'd have a perfect world.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:28 PM

458 posts, read 616,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Yes, New York absolutely have lots of parks, and green space. I never would question the beauty of New Yorks parks, but with the exception of areas on the fringes of the city in the outer burroughs, it pretty much is largely planted and landscaped. It is absolutely is a human creation, in LA and many other western and southern urban areas, parks are patches of wilderness. Native ecosystems that survive because the steep slopes are not buildable. You have wild brush covered hillsides that harbor rattlesnakes and mountain lions with steep rocky cliffs.

Central Park is gorgeous, but it doesn't have an obvious wild feel like Griffith Park.

Thats what I am talking about. Not saying that they are better, but as someone whose career is in ecology and earth science, it makes a big difference to me.

Now in the suburbs of the tri-state areas, thats a different story. The Appalachian trail runs 50 miles from Manhattan. In New York state and New Jersey.
Sure, Central Park is pretty controlled (one of its merits, IMO). On the other hand, I can hop on a train and in hour (maybe a little more depending on where I'm going) be in the middle of nowhere with some of the best (some say the best) hiking and nature parks in the country - especially along the Hudson river. I simply don't agree with you that New York lacks nearby natural areas.

Meanwhile, commuting within the city rarely takes more than 30-45 minutes, while in my time in LA I found that no matter where I wanted to go it would almost certainly take at least 45 minutes. I cannot express how much I hate LA traffic.

All that said, if I were settling down I would not live in any of the three - LA, Chicago, or NYC. Unless I was crazy loaded, in which case I'd live in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles