Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times

Advertisements

I'll go around and take pictures of the street kids in my neighborhood and see if that's what the OP wants to end up like.

Trust me, it is not very appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 01:17 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Ditto. SoCal is no area to wander into without a solid plan, and several backup plans.
I'd rather be homeless in Southern California than some place like Minnesota. At least you won't freeze to death here.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:21 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'll go around and take pictures of the street kids in my neighborhood and see if that's what the OP wants to end up like.

Trust me, it is not very appealing.
Homelessness is not the end of the world. If he works hard, he could end up with a home in a couple months. It's not for everyone though. It will be extremely rough, but lots of people have survived it and gone on to productive lives.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:32 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Homelessness is not the end of the world. If he works hard, he could end up with a home in a couple months. It's not for everyone though. It will be extremely rough, but lots of people have survived it and gone on to productive lives.
Oh of course. It's not like once you become homeless you never get out.

But seeing the kinds of lives the kids in my neighborhood live there is no way the OP's situation will improve by being homeless (unless of course they are victims of abuse, but even then there are better options.)

Old 04-24-2012, 01:52 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
OP said "im 19 and live in the middle of nowhere and cant get a job due to the fact that theres nothing hiring where i live i live with my parents"

so if he can't get a job where he is, what would you advise?
That wherever he is, unemployment here is almost certainly worse. In real terms, joblessness in Long Beach probably exceeds 20 percent. Finding work here is even more difficult for a new arrival without any experience, personal connections or meaningful support system. That even "out in the middle of nowhere", there necessarily exists someplace closer to home with a far greater chance of his finding actual employment.

Out-of-state tuition is prohibitive. Funding to all levels of higher education is getting slashed to the bone. Technical and trade schools are expensive.

Social services here are being cut drastically.

Certain homeless shelters are open only during winter months. Even the most conscientiously managed shelters are susceptible to crime and gang activity.

Homeless people are targeted for violence.

Other than that, moving here with no money or plan sounds like sage advice.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:51 PM

102 posts, read 513,633 times
The title of this is funny. I always here of people trying to run away from Long Beach.

To be honest, Long Beach is not very desirable. There are many other places in LA that are far more desirable...

...unless you like the ghetto!

Old 04-25-2012, 05:15 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterisAwesome View Post
The title of this is funny. I always here of people trying to run away from Long Beach.

To be honest, Long Beach is not very desirable. There are many other places in LA that are far more desirable...

...unless you like the ghetto!
We can't all be Lancaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles