Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:38 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
He probably uses other people's homes when they are at work.
I bet, all this time when you came home and found the toilet seat up, you blamed your hubby or boyfriend for it when it was actually nullgeo!

People need to stop worry about what others are doing and whether it is legal or not and focus on their own lives.
People like atina annoy me just as much as the ton of unnecessary bylaws they are passing out each year for stupid, trivial stuff like this.
I always put the seat back down ... out of consideration ... and out of stealth ... none of you will ever know I was there (unless you notice the peanut shells in your trash can under the sink).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 07:35 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,022,334 times
When I lived in San Diego about 12 years ago I had a Mitsibishi van. The van was unique in that the engine was located under the driver's seat. It kind of reminded of the Vanagon my mom had when I was little. Anyway I used to take the van out to Pacific Beach and party hard with my friends out there. Then I'd conk out in my van. When I moved back to Florida I got one of those Ford Aerostars. I really liked that van. I took out the bench seats in the back and could easily fit a mattress in it. Again, it became a place to crash when I was f up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
News flash:
It's not illegal to sleep or cook or basically do anything not specifically criminal in your car -- as long as you don't overstay parking limits (like overnight -- or 4 hours in a 2 hour zone even), and as long as you don't create a public nuisance or health hazards to the public.

I live in a van -- by choice. I love the lifestyle. I have income. I own several properties (that I rent to others). I am neat and clean and orderly and so is my van. To meet me on the street you would never guess I don't live in an apartment / house. There are quite a number of van-dwellers who choose to live this way.

I enjoy the finest real estate ownership in the country: almost anywhere public. I pull in at waterfront parks and open my doors and set out my camping chair and make oatmeal for breakfast with the sunrise, and a salad for lunch by a stream, and a fish and rice supper to watch the sun go down over a harbor.

Then I scope out a place to sleep overnight ... sometimes legally, sometimes not. But never bother a soul and have never been noticed, let alone hassled.

Been doing this for years.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:57 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
When I lived in San Diego about 12 years ago I had a Mitsibishi van. The van was unique in that the engine was located under the driver's seat. It kind of reminded of the Vanagon my mom had when I was little. Anyway I used to take the van out to Pacific Beach and party hard with my friends out there. Then I'd conk out in my van. When I moved back to Florida I got one of those Ford Aerostars. I really liked that van. I took out the bench seats in the back and could easily fit a mattress in it. Again, it became a place to crash when I was f up.
Heh ... yeah, sure, lots folks sleep one off in their cars and vans. But I'm never f up. Don't drink, smoke, do dope. I be a class 'A' citizen in my van. No puking on the curb.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:10 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,233,106 times
Like this guy:

I LIVE IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER - YouTube

Old 04-22-2012, 02:27 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
We get a lot of people in our neighborhood who park and sleep in their cars during the day. Judging by their appearance and that of their car, they are not homeless people but rather people who want an hour or longer cat nap during the day.

I'm guessing it's illegal but does anyone know for sure? Thx.
It doesn't matter if it is legal. The cops have better things to do.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,459 times
hi. new here. i think its not illegal as long as they have been parked in the right place.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:44 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicai View Post
hi. new here. i think its not illegal as long as they have been parked in the right place.
Where's the right place? I don't want to sleep in the wrong. Makes for bad dreams.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:12 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,233,106 times
The right place is not in front of my home, especially after dark.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:37 AM

21 posts, read 39,661 times
I think Wal Mart allows you to park (and sleep) in their parking lots all day long.

I've taken afternoon naps in my car at city public parks and never had any issue. Hell, I've even seen few cop cars park next to me and chill.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:52 PM

18 posts, read 19,492 times
Well, the Ninth Circuit Court just made a ruling that will make it a lot easier for those who choose to live this way a whole lot easier so long as you are not breaking any other law, rule or code) Read: It's No Longer Illegal to Live in Your Car in Los Angeles - Homelessness - Curbed LA and http://www.centralvalleybusinesstime...s/11-56957.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles