Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:52 AM

5 posts, read 5,100 times

Advertisements

Just because the future is uncertain doesn't mean it's bad. And just because we have a plan, doesn't mean everything will go by the plan. Sometimes we have to take chances, but we still need to act wisely. Get any job when you get there; don't let a year go by while you're looking for a job and spending your savings. Act as though you have savings for just one more month. People come from other countries with nothing and make it after a while - it all depends on how much you are willing to sacrifice. If you are hard-working and patient, you will make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 07:00 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
CA unemployment is high, much higher than official stats would lead you to believe. That doesn't mean you can't find work, but a job paying $10 an hour is not a sustainable pay level to live by yourself in a safe, reasonable area. I am not saying you shouldn't do it, but I can't imagine leaving a job and moving someplace else without one in the current economy which is just not showing any hope of recovery for a couple more years. I know good, qualified people who've been looking for two years now and haven't gotten close to new jobs.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:15 PM

26 posts, read 35,912 times
Hi everyone, just a quick update. I packed my stuff in september and moved to LA, Glendale to be exact..which is pretty cool for someone who is new to LA...very close to DTLA, Hollywood and etc. I've enjoyed every day here.

Ive been hustling for a job every single day(4-5 hrs a day) since I got here and let me tell you...Ive been to about 10 interviews so far, I turned down 4 job offers(all ranged from 11-13$/hr) before I landed an awesome corporate gig for an internet company and I'm super stoked. It took me less than 2 months to find it and less than 2,000$ of my 15k savings.

My advice to whos still thinking about it...do your research before you move, lots of it! Know where you will be looking for a job. Be ready for interview questions. Some of the interviews( I wasnt even interested in those jobs) they were just practice runs and building my confidence. It actually prepared me for the last interview Ive had and I did great.

Good luck to everyone.

In order to have what you never had, you have to do the things you've never done!

Let me know if any of you have questions.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Congrats! I have the same savings and will be out there in a few months. Glad it worked out for you.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:27 AM

218 posts, read 362,429 times
Awesome! Congratulations! I love it when people don't let fear stop them from accomplishing their goals. I moving to LA next year as well. No risk...no reward...no regrets!

Old 11-16-2012, 10:16 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmyapples View Post
Hi everyone, just a quick update. I packed my stuff in september and moved to LA, Glendale to be exact..which is pretty cool for someone who is new to LA...very close to DTLA, Hollywood and etc. I've enjoyed every day here.

Ive been hustling for a job every single day(4-5 hrs a day) since I got here and let me tell you...Ive been to about 10 interviews so far, I turned down 4 job offers(all ranged from 11-13$/hr) before I landed an awesome corporate gig for an internet company and I'm super stoked. It took me less than 2 months to find it and less than 2,000$ of my 15k savings.

My advice to whos still thinking about it...do your research before you move, lots of it! Know where you will be looking for a job. Be ready for interview questions. Some of the interviews( I wasnt even interested in those jobs) they were just practice runs and building my confidence. It actually prepared me for the last interview Ive had and I did great.
Thanks for coming back to tell us what happened. I just wanted to point out a couple key parts of your plan that would be helpful to others considering the move:
1. You had a good amount of money saved.
2. You were willing to live in a roommate situation, and you lined it up before you made the move. This gave you an address to use in the job search.
3. You had a contact who could possibly help you, but you also were not planning to depend on that friend.
4. You were prepared for the job search and were also willing to take a stopgap job if necessary.

Of course, not everyone will get so many interviews, and very few people will have the luxury of turning down several job offers. You must also have had some good things to put on your resume, as well as outstanding interview skills.

Congratulations!

Old 11-17-2012, 09:51 PM

26 posts, read 35,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Thanks for coming back to tell us what happened. I just wanted to point out a couple key parts of your plan that would be helpful to others considering the move:
1. You had a good amount of money saved.
2. You were willing to live in a roommate situation, and you lined it up before you made the move. This gave you an address to use in the job search.
3. You had a contact who could possibly help you, but you also were not planning to depend on that friend.
4. You were prepared for the job search and were also willing to take a stopgap job if necessary.

Of course, not everyone will get so many interviews, and very few people will have the luxury of turning down several job offers. You must also have had some good things to put on your resume, as well as outstanding interview skills.

Congratulations!
Thats pretty much it. One more important thing I should add...send out your resume few weeks before you arrive here, and make sure to put Californian address on it.

Thanks guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles