Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:15 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,118,686 times

Advertisements

Or do you feel it's wrong? Like a whole section of single family homes destroyed to make way for apartment complexes and mid to highrise buildings?

Would it be inevitable? And I'm talking within the basin.

IMO, I'd care, but also not care. Mainly because my neighborhood has alot of history so it would suck to see it go. But at the same time, I never liked the suburbs, but then again, the LA metro area never truly felt suburban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 10:19 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,683 times
Why are so many people so infatuated with population density?

Old 09-19-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Why are so many people so infatuated with population density?
City-Data.com

TBH, IDK..

I just think it's the idea of suburbia being a joke.

Think of it as a kid who grew up in the city vs a kid who grew up in the suburbs. Who's gonna have more mental toughness at the end of the day? More cultural experiences? A more realness in their upbringing? Suburbanites are considered sheltered while city dwellers are in the middle of it all.

Not to mention suburbia has alot to do with white flight and the decline of our downtown areas. So suburbia is a spoiled mentality that killed our cities for decades. Now everyone wants back in. Younger people want out of the dull existence in the suburbs and experience something more real.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:07 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
This sounds like another "why can't Los Angeles be more like New York" thread.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:30 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,948,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
This sounds like another "why can't Los Angeles be more like New York" thread.
I think we can all agree that Chicano just happens to love his city. I more or less don't really care if those houses were torn down. I don't really see the major difference in replacing all those single family homes with apartments and the like as those neighborhoods would still basically be the same. I for one do not adhere to the notion that looking "eastcoast" makes a place anymore urban than it already is. It is what it is, so who really cares. Now if there was a real need to make room for large population growth then I think it would be a slightly different story. But I still don't see most of those homes and neighborhoods beeing torn down as a result.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:01 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,486,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Or do you feel it's wrong? Like a whole section of single family homes destroyed to make way for apartment complexes and mid to highrise buildings?

Would it be inevitable? And I'm talking within the basin.

IMO, I'd care, but also not care. Mainly because my neighborhood has alot of history so it would suck to see it go. But at the same time, I never liked the suburbs, but then again, the LA metro area never truly felt suburban.
Do you mean City of Los Angeles neighborhoods that ring the downtown, or the separate communities such as Bell, Huntington Park, etc.?

The second is not something that LA could really do, because it has no jurisdiction over those places.

The first......well......it wouldn't be the first time or place that this would be done. Often, it is single family homes being replaced with new single family homes, or duplexes or fourplexes.

But.......

Old 09-19-2012, 01:28 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,303 times
Quote:
City-Data.com

TBH, IDK..

I just think it's the idea of suburbia being a joke.

Think of it as a kid who grew up in the city vs a kid who grew up in the suburbs. Who's gonna have more mental toughness at the end of the day? More cultural experiences? A more realness in their upbringing? Suburbanites are considered sheltered while city dwellers are in the middle of it all.

Not to mention suburbia has alot to do with white flight and the decline of our downtown areas. So suburbia is a spoiled mentality that killed our cities for decades. Now everyone wants back in. Younger people want out of the dull existence in the suburbs and experience something more real.
Rich people stay rich people even in the city. Maybe John Q. Yuppie and his kids know how to navigate the metro, but does that make a person mentally tough, and more real? Heck most of the city folk I know don't know how to cook and can't drive, is that "keepin it real"?

Old 09-19-2012, 03:30 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
We have more than enough parking lots and brown lots we can fill without touching any historic architecture. I like some of the SFHs that exist in Los Angeles and think they're good to keep as historic reminders of what they are as well as giving future generations patches of interest in the city.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Rich people stay rich people even in the city. Maybe John Q. Yuppie and his kids know how to navigate the metro, but does that make a person mentally tough, and more real? Heck most of the city folk I know don't know how to cook and can't drive, is that "keepin it real"?
I guess not, the driving depends though. In L.A. maybe not but in othe cities you might not even need a car.

Overall I meant real is in there's always something happening(good or bad). Not in terms of the person himself keeping it real but the person living in an environment that is beyond any typical suburnite or rural dweller's comfort zone. People everywhere, homeless(it's part of it unfortunately), authentic places, public transit seeing so many different people, different neighborhoods with different feels.

I dont want LA to become new york. But I do admire many aspects of New York that I wish L.A. had. Mainly public transit and overall vibrancy.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:03 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:

Overall I meant real is in there's always something happening(good or bad). .
Limiting the happenings that are bad is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles