Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:16 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

That is interesting but not surprising. The highest profit businesses are many times those boring type of businesses rather than the trendy or sexy ones.

People will always buy snacks,cigs,beer but they don't need gourmet cupcakes , boutiques with $100 tshirts or $5 coffees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 12:24 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
[quote=radiolibre99;37109924]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post

No way, I'm talking Armenian, Russians and other white people too. I sometimes get a bit put off by the no nonsense move along one attitude of recent eastern immigrants from Central Asia and Europe. So it's not a no white thing.
Armenians aren't exactly White...they're quite mixed, racially. They have a lot of Asian blood in them from Turkic and Mongol conquests.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:21 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Being of Korean decent ( I was born in the U.S.) I enjoy being able to get good Korean food, as well as also enjoying the variety of others comfort foods. A lot of places of importance to me are located here. I can travel without traveling.

It's expensive but most jobs also pay more so it's made not much of a difference to my income to debt ratio. I guess it depends what you do for a living. I would say if you live off retirement for instance, your money would certainly go further some place else. But, if you are still working chances are your pay will make up for the increase in overall spending. Plus, you don't use much heating or cooling here compared to say Phoenix, or Boston. That cuts costs and allows you to use that money saved somewhere else, like increased housing costs for example.

I think you will like it here. Are you still in Japan? Since my daughter travels to Japan often, that is another reason L.A. is nice. It's an easy flight, less time.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:03 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,512 times
[quote=Hawaii4evr;37124720]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

Armenians aren't exactly White...they're quite mixed, racially. They have a lot of Asian blood in them from Turkic and Mongol conquests.
BTW don't quote me on that. It wasn't me. Check the thread. I don't like to get involved in other peoples controversies.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:20 PM

416 posts, read 560,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Two things that strongly attract me to Los Angeles:

1) WEATHER

2) Extremely multicultural. Every Asian culture is very well-represented - Korean, Vietnamese, Filipino, Chinse, etc. Plus other exotic nationalities from Armenian, Persian, Ethiopian, and on and on. Plus your Latino, Black, White, Jewish, etc. It's all there, and in very large numbers. Personally, I love that.

Would it be enough to enjoy living in Los Angeles?
Nope. Because a lot of those cultures are nestled away in their own areas. Los Angeles is a land of isolation. People live in their cars, live in their bubbles and don't venture out beyond the people they know. Not that you can blame them. You're talking 15-17 million people and massive sprawl.

Now if you're coming from Podunk, USA then it'll be the most amazing experience ever. If you've been to other major metros you'll either love it or hate. I hated it.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:23 PM

[quote=radiolibre99;37109924]
Quote:

No way, I'm talking Armenian, Russians and other white people too. I sometimes get a bit put off by the no nonsense move along one attitude of recent eastern immigrants from Central Asia and Europe. So it's not a no white thing.
Lol, Armenians, Russians are not 'white'.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I think it really depends on the individual.
Disagree. Angelenos by and large have their cluster of friends and skuttle back to their enclaves as the other poster said. Sure you have your exceptions - we're talking 15 million people, so there's no escaping generalizations - but from my experience in LA people of a certain ethnicity tend to stick with their own. Are they open to trying out different ethnic restaurants? Sure, but that's not enough to be 'multicultural'.

To me Los Angeles is multicultural in the sense that the city is so sprawled out that you have little ethnic clusters bigger than many cities. So yeah you can drive out to Arcadia and get some amazing authentic Dim Sum or head up to Glendale for some tummy filling Armenian and then down to Ladera for some soul or even Jamaican food.

Except you won't because it takes forever to get anywhere and you've got your little routine all worked out and why change it?

The 'multiculturalism' of LA to me was something of a fraud, with all the negatives but very few positives. Especially when it comes to AAs (talk about North vs. South...)

Old 11-03-2014, 08:28 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Disagree. Angelenos by and large have their cluster of friends and skuttle back to their enclaves as the other poster said. Sure you have your exceptions - we're talking 15 million people, so there's no escaping generalizations - but from my experience in LA people of a certain ethnicity tend to stick with their own. Are they open to trying out different ethnic restaurants? Sure, but that's not enough to be 'multicultural'.

To me Los Angeles is multicultural in the sense that the city is so sprawled out that you have little ethnic clusters bigger than many cities. So yeah you can drive out to Arcadia and get some amazing authentic Dim Sum or head up to Glendale for some tummy filling Armenian and then down to Ladera for some soul or even Jamaican food.

Except you won't because it takes forever to get anywhere and you've got your little routine all worked out and why change it?

The 'multiculturalism' of LA to me was something of a fraud, with all the negatives but very few positives. Especially when it comes to AAs (talk about North vs. South...)
Concur. If EL A was truly multicultural you would see non-Hispanics celebrating Cinco De Mayo in McArthur Park or at a low rider cruise in Elysian Park. Caucasians would attend the Taste of Soul festival in Leimert Park in large numbers. African-Americans would be hitting up the SGV and Koreatown in large numbers and wishing people Happy Lunar New Year instead of eating at Panda in a mall. When my clients and business colleagues stop making jokes about Kwansa, then El A would be truly multicultural etc. etc.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:11 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
Concur. If EL A was truly multicultural you would see non-Hispanics celebrating Cinco De Mayo in McArthur Park or at a low rider cruise in Elysian Park. Caucasians would attend the Taste of Soul festival in Leimert Park in large numbers. African-Americans would be hitting up the SGV and Koreatown in large numbers and wishing people Happy Lunar New Year instead of eating at Panda in a mall. When my clients and business colleagues stop making jokes about Kwansa, then El A would be truly multicultural etc. etc.
I guess hyperbolic ridiculous is the name of the game. Please stop with the El A nonsense. I'm also sorry you surround yourself with people who actually think black people care about Kwanzaa. Although, It doesn't surprise me with the quality of your posts.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:21 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,922 times
No and it has neither of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles