Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 01:51 PM

72 posts, read 183,752 times

Advertisements

I've read some of the comments, and there are people who say West LA is their least favorite part of LA.

Now, I'd be interested in living where violent crime is not a major factor. However, I'd like to know what my options are, and if West LA isn't the only place someone with the means to live 'anywhere' would find ideal, please inform.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Trillion; 10-08-2012 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 01:59 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
That depends. Have you been to LA before? You see people saying that because to them they are interested in the real Los Angeles. The culture-filled neighborhoods.

I loved the Westside when I was there, but I loved other areas too. What kind of lifestyle are you looking for? What do you want in a neighborhood/place to live? The Westside is certainly expensive, but you will also find other people living elsewhere. There are certainly other safe areas in LA, this is not the only one.

But I would check out these areas first if you haven't already, and not just go by what looks/sounds pretty on the internet.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:11 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,311,478 times
There are numerous, dozens, of really great neighborhoods all over the LA area. Ideal depends on numerous reasons or lifestyle choices which you haven't really given insight on.

And there are places in the westside where violent crime IS a factor.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:27 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,628,805 times
I would say the Westside is the Manhattan Isle of Los Angeles, but Manhattan is far more interesting. West LA is the place to be if you want to live the stereotypical LA lifestyle. Yet, it's not as wild as you think it is. It's actually pretty tame in comparison to the rest of LA.

I would find more people at the local pizza joint out in Westwood than the local bars which I found strange.

Hollywood, while a bit grungy, is the place to be if you're looking for nightlife, overall city life and Vegas type vibe.

DTLA is my favorite because it's almost undiscovered; DTLA to K-Town, which includes Echo Park and Silverlake. I love these spots and would want to move somewhere there. So much culture, music, art, good clubs, good bars. Best place in LA to be if you're young, full of energy and sociable.

I like West LA too but it's mostly fun during the day and if you're more laid back and tame as far as nightlife goes.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
That depends. Have you been to LA before? You see people saying that because to them they are interested in the real Los Angeles. The culture-filled neighborhoods.

I loved the Westside when I was there, but I loved other areas too. What kind of lifestyle are you looking for? What do you want in a neighborhood/place to live? The Westside is certainly expensive, but you will also find other people living elsewhere. There are certainly other safe areas in LA, this is not the only one.

But I would check out these areas first if you haven't already, and not just go by what looks/sounds pretty on the internet.

I'm 32, single, AA, no children, business will be home based so commute times do not apply.

I am a musician - not by profession - and love listening to great live music. As a matter of fact, I chose LA over Houston primarily because I was told LA's live music scene >>>>>>>>> Houston's. I like ALL KINDS OF MUSIC. Not Top 40 stuff, though.

I'm a huge Lakers fan, and will purchase season tickets - so something not too far from Staples would be something to consider, I suppose.

I have a no. of interests, but nothing that would dictate where I live.

I ultimately would like to live around people my age, who aren't all married w/ kids, and I'd like for that place to not be a sketchy. I know crime can happen anywhere, but some places are obviously sketchier than others.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I would say the Westside is the Manhattan Isle of Los Angeles, but Manhattan is far more interesting. West LA is the place to be if you want to live the stereotypical LA lifestyle. Yet, it's not as wild as you think it is. It's actually pretty tame in comparison to the rest of LA.

I would find more people at the local pizza joint out in Westwood than the local bars which I found strange.

Hollywood, while a bit grungy, is the place to be if you're looking for nightlife, overall city life and Vegas type vibe.

DTLA is my favorite because it's almost undiscovered; DTLA to K-Town, which includes Echo Park and Silverlake. I love these spots and would want to move somewhere there. So much culture, music, art, good clubs, good bars. Best place in LA to be if you're young, full of energy and sociable.

I like West LA too but it's mostly fun during the day and if you're more laid back and tame as far as nightlife goes.

Staples is in DTLA, right?

Based on your description, DTLA would be ideal. Hollywood would be cool for a rare 'wild night', but I'm a pretty tamed guy. I'm a wall flower, but people watching to me, and soaking up the vibe is as interesting to me as getting drunk and dancing all night is to other people.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:35 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,097,760 times
If money was no object, a beachside mansion in Manhattan Beach would suit me to a T. And maybe a place up in PV for weekend escapes when I want to get away from it all.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:37 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
Staples Center is right downtown, part of the LA Live complex. I'm trying to decide myself where to live when I move to LA, but downtown LA or Santa Monica sounds like what would fit you.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 PM

611 posts, read 1,601,658 times
Los Feliz, Silverlake, Hollywood, Hollywood Hills, DTLA, or north WeHo is more in tune for you based on age/interests.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:02 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,487,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillion View Post
I've read some of the comments, and there are people who say West LA is their least favorite part of LA.

Now, I'd be interested in living where violent crime is not a major factor. However, I'd like to know what my options are, and if West LA isn't the only place someone with the means to live 'anywhere', please inform.

Thank you for your time.
Forget your ideals. Forget only about West LA. Forget about the TV stereotypes.

If you have friends here, make the most of it and come out here to visit, and pick their brains for all they're worth.

If you don't have friends here, this forum is not a bad place to start but still, come out to visit and "get the vibe" of as much of the Southland as you can. Some places look great but may come to grate on you as you live in them; others may not look good at all at first blush but you may come to find as you live in them that "I can do this".

Don't forget, the greater LA metro consists of all of LA County, Orange County, western part of San Bernardino and Riverside Counties......while I am drawing a pretty large net for you, you just never know what area will pique your curiosity for more of a look. There's also Ventura County, north and west of Los Angeles County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles