Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 11,861 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think about Signal Hill? I've read other posts on this site on the city but I wanted some more updated responses if anything has changed. How is the neighborhood? Is it a safe place to live? Have you had experience visiting or living in the area? What are your thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 01:57 PM

155 posts, read 260,142 times
I live in LBC.

Signal Hill is almost like a tourist destination because of the scenic views of the South Bay region. It really is beautiful.

The top of the hill is pretty wealthy from what I've seen. They have a private (armed) security force that makes people leave the scenic area after a certain time. The residential zones right off the top of the hill also seem extremely quiet. There doesn't appear to be much street crime, but I don't live up there.

No gang stuff or idiot teenagers around often.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:39 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,146 times
Yeah, it's nice. There are your standard Mediterranean style homes but interspersed there are stunning Modernist designs. I covet them. At the bottom of the hill on Redondo they're doing more housing, but I'd hope there'd be some commercial development. Going the other way on Willow are your stores so shopping is close by anyway.

The hassle of the hills are what I'd not want to live on personally but that comes with high-end elevation. You'll find there are college athletes who use the hills for training (and I'd personally create a juice stand right there on Redondo and Hill to market that business--The Runner's Stop!)

It's newer. I remember and prefer the old Signal Hill where folks would go for the view and hang out among the old house and oil rigs. But between Belmont Shore and Signal Hill it'd still now be a tough choice if I could afford either option.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:50 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,437,323 times
SH went downhill ever since I moved there. So, if you were considering to buy property, do it while I still reside there.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:08 PM

How about the condo areas? Do those areas differ greatly from the homes? Here are some of them for under $350,000 [url=http://www.redfin.com/homes-for-sale#!search_location=signal%20hill%2C%20ca&max_pr ice=350000[/url]. I'm looking particularly at the ones filtered least days on the market.

They are highlighted in yellow

Old 02-26-2013, 04:31 PM

Yeah, that side of the hill is different, with no views. It gets gritty though I wish I could go tool around and see the complexes specifically for myself. (I recall someone else asking about this very area a few months ago...) You might as well check just a quarter-mile east of there. There are condo complexes on Redondo. It all depends on your sensibilities but that small distance away feels "fresher", for want of a better term. There's a complex right next to Kaiser Permanente. There are also condo complexes on the Willow side. Not gritty, no views, but nearer to groceries and the like.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadata View Post
How about the condo areas? Do those areas differ greatly from the homes? Here are some of them for under $350,000 [url=http://www.redfin.com/homes-for-sale#!search_location=signal%20hill%2C%20ca&max_pr ice=350000[/url]. I'm looking particularly at the ones filtered least days on the market.

They are highlighted in yellow
I live pretty close and it is actually a decent area. I have been living here for a little under 2 years and I really like the area.

Now, as far as the condos go, couldn't really comment since I do not know which ones you listed. The condos out here look more like apartment conversions. the condos/townhouses in OC are a bit more easily identifiable from their exterior looks if you know what I mean?

If you give me exact addresses and unit numbers. I could check them out and get back to you with some candid personal opinion.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM

Thanks for all the input everyone.

1460 East Willow St
2001 Freeman Ave
1999 Stanley Ave

are the addresses.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:

1460 East Willow St
2001 Freeman Ave
1999 Stanley Ave

are the addresses.
I think I know the Willow one, and it's perfectly clean and safe there. When I said gritty I thought your places were way closer to Pacific Coast Highway. On that side of the hill PCH does get a little iffy going up towards Cherry. But if the Freeman one is where I think you're talking about then it's perfectly fine. Bear in mind I'm trying to convey these areas from the POV of someone who doesn't like grit at all (I don't mind it, myself) just to advise safely. Even so, I think the Freeman Ave one is probably OK. Dunno about Stanley.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:

1460 East Willow St
2001 Freeman Ave
1999 Stanley Ave

are the addresses.
First one is OK but the look of the place from outside is not that good.
Did you even look it up on Google Maps using street view? I doubt inside is any better.

The bottom 2 address are much better locations, imho, away from major traffic, cleaner and nicer.

None of them look like condos to me, more like apartment conversions. Heck they actually look just like the apartment building I am renting a unit in.
Did you actually want me to go inside to look?

I wouldn't want to buy any one of them. If I were you, I would focus on SFRs instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles