Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 05:33 PM

7 posts, read 11,857 times

Advertisements

Thanks again guys. I'm going to check them out after work. The Freeman one looks really quiet since it's across from vacant land/oil mining.

Are there any cons to living near places where they drill for oil? A lot of places in Signal Hill are like this so I wouldn't think it's a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
I live right next to Signal Hill and it's a great area. One interesting thing is the amount of vacant land. There was an article last week in the little free paper about how much it costs to cap those old wells and clean it up to the super high standards California put in place. That makes it cost prohibitive to develop most of those empty spots in the city.

Once the real estate market and inflation take off enough to make it cost effective, Signal Hill will see a boom in new construction. In the mean time, it makes for a quiet safe little city in the middle of Long Beach.

The condos you posted are in decent areas. The closer north up the hill would be best and farther east as well. It gets a little sketchy along PCH near Cherry but I think in 5-10 years the sketch will be priced out since other areas near there are cleaning up. Signal Hill is a good investment.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:59 PM

8,302 posts, read 13,434,842 times
datadata, as timtem said, in general Signal Hill is safer and cleaner than Long Beach but it does border the somewhat sketchy part of the town.
However, even then it is a fine area. I live very near and I can honestly say there is absolutely nothing unsafe or bad about this area and going forward, it will only get better.

Oil mining thingies are not a bother, they are not loud or intrusive in any way and if you know how to process unrefined oil, you won't have to pay for gas! Of course the last bit was a joke.

Freeman is a nice spot, I pass by it on the way back home. Really nice area and a lot of people jog or walk their dog. There are parks around and also the Hill street is very near where a lot of people, including me, go to get their fat behinds in shape.

My only concern was the building/unit itself. I guess you would have to see for yourself to judge.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:45 AM

I drove around the area today and I saw lots of people jogging and walking their dogs as you said. I would say that's a good sign and it made me feel secure about the area. It's also very convenient with a Costco, Fresh & Easy, Home Depot, etc nearby as well. I am going to see if I can get an appointment with my realtor to see these condos. Maybe we'll be neighbors soon enough The view up there is just breathtaking.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:51 PM

8,302 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datadata View Post
I drove around the area today and I saw lots of people jogging and walking their dogs as you said. I would say that's a good sign and it made me feel secure about the area. It's also very convenient with a Costco, Fresh & Easy, Home Depot, etc nearby as well. I am going to see if I can get an appointment with my realtor to see these condos. Maybe we'll be neighbors soon enough The view up there is just breathtaking.
That would be cool, usually people run away from me but you seem like a brave soul so why not?

Just kidding...anyhow, here is the link to the album with photos of Signal Hill I took. I was walking late in the afternoon so some photos are day time while some were shot in dusk.

Here is a map of the path I walked:

You'll have to walk on the Panorama Drive, it is such a romantic view!
I cannot believe I used the word "romantic".

Old 02-27-2013, 02:04 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
eh, it gives different signals..

Old 02-28-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
That would be cool, usually people run away from me but you seem like a brave soul so why not?

Just kidding...anyhow, here is the link to the album with photos of Signal Hill I took. I was walking late in the afternoon so some photos are day time while some were shot in dusk.

Here is a map of the path I walked:

You'll have to walk on the Panorama Drive, it is such a romantic view!
I cannot believe I used the word "romantic".
Awesome pictures

Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
One thing you need to know.....

PCH used to be a real mess. Drugs and rampant prostitution on the entirety of PCH that borders Signal Hill. At one point in the late 90's, LBPD even set up an undercover sting with female cops posing as street prostitutes at PCH and Molino. A LOT of that element spilled over into Signal Hill, particularly the streets north of PCH between Cherry and Obispo.

That changed. PCH between the college and Redondo is drastically different than it was 10-15 years ago. Its still on the shady side, but not anywhere near what it used to be. A whole lot of the crappy motels were demolished, and the ones that remain....several have undergone complete renovation. The criminal element has substantially subsided. There are lots of newer and nicer business in the area. Most importantly for you, the negative element no longer spills over into Signal Hill.

I personally would not have a problem living in the areas you are looking at.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
One thing you need to know.....

PCH used to be a real mess. Drugs and rampant prostitution on the entirety of PCH that borders Signal Hill. At one point in the late 90's, LBPD even set up an undercover sting with female cops posing as street prostitutes at PCH and Molino. A LOT of that element spilled over into Signal Hill, particularly the streets north of PCH between Cherry and Obispo.

That changed. PCH between the college and Redondo is drastically different than it was 10-15 years ago. Its still on the shady side, but not anywhere near what it used to be. A whole lot of the crappy motels were demolished, and the ones that remain....several have undergone complete renovation. The criminal element has substantially subsided. There are lots of newer and nicer business in the area. Most importantly for you, the negative element no longer spills over into Signal Hill.

I personally would not have a problem living in the areas you are looking at.
Great information! Thanks!

I hope these days law enforcement and even the people living there themselves continue to work towards improving the society!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles