Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 03:03 PM

47 posts, read 98,213 times

Advertisements

I moved recently to Rancho Palos Verdes and so far I really love it. I have a nice condo with a view of the ocean. There are plenty of stores fairly close and a grocery store a block away. It might be a good place for someone used to living in a less populated area like me. Traffic is not too bad up here in these hills compared to the rest of LA. It is very walkable. Plenty of parks and hiking trails. From what I understand the schools are good. The weather is wonderful. Depending on the season there can be quite a bit of fog sometimes, especially in the morning. But it usually burns off and gives way to a beautiful day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 05:42 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace omalley View Post
Plenty of parks and hiking trails.
For people, dogs, and horsies.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:17 PM

6 posts, read 14,209 times
Thanks for the advice. I sounds like HR is really nice. As safety is my main concern, I have to ask if it's possible to find a gated community in HR?

Old 11-06-2012, 02:22 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandinavians View Post
Thanks for the advice. I sounds like HR is really nice. As safety is my main concern, I have to ask if it's possible to find a gated community in HR?
Don't recall there being any gated community around there, but the need isn't there: HR is a perfectly safe community on the hill. No gates needed.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:39 PM

30 posts, read 86,760 times
There is one gated community in Hollywood Riviera, right up from Torrance Beach. Packed tight with McMansions. Probably one of the less desirable neighborhoods in the area due to a total lack of charm, in my view. Safety isn't really a concern in the area. I think you will see that when you visit.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:45 PM

64 posts, read 129,915 times
If you pick Palos Verdes Estates or Rancho Palos Verdes, I really don't think you're going to need a gated community. Take a look at the crime data for both places.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:38 PM

491 posts, read 2,290,820 times
There is absolutely no need to live behind gates in Hollywood Riviera or surrounding areas. I have friends who live in that one gated community. It's nice but I doubt there is anything for rent in there.

The entire area (HR, So Redondo, So Torrance, PV) is very nice and safe. Plenty of beaches that are never crowded (except holidays), a very active, outdoor lifestyle.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:02 PM

6 posts, read 14,209 times
Thanks for the advice, that sounds really good. I don't think we need to live in a gated community as the areas are considered rather safe. We are scouting both HR and PV next week, I really excited to wee what the areas has to offer.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:50 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,743 times
Incidentally, I have a Danish friend and he lives in PV with his family. They just moved there this past summer from northern California and they love it there.

I have been in South Redondo Beach (near the HR) for the past 8 years and it has been great. The schools are nice but most of Southern California has been having some school problems in recent years with budget cuts, etc. My son attends Beryl Heights.

We are actually moving to Seattle for my job but SoCal has been great for us and I miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles