Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 02:10 PM

6 posts, read 14,187 times

Advertisements

Hi

My husband has signed a contract for a job and therefore we are moving to LA, from Denmark, to begin with only for two years. We have two girls, 3 and 5, and safe area is high on our priority list, as well as a good school. We also wish to have a nice home with a garden, but we don't need a huge house.
I have been to LA twice, but only for a coupe of weeks and the last time I visited was in 2005. My memories of LA are friendly people, which I think is general for the US. I also remember many great places. I have travelled a lot in your beautiful country.

His office is located in San Pedro and I'm well aware that we need to live in an area not to far away from his job.

I have been researching and Palos Verdes seems like a safe place with decent schools, though I haven't been there. Our rental budget is 6000$ pr month, will that amount be enough to find a nice home? Does Palos verdes have anything to offer?
Do you have better suggestions for good areas to live?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 02:14 PM

30 posts, read 86,722 times
PV is one of the wealthier parts of LA. Safe with good schools. Beautiful rocky coastline with a good amount of open space. Not much going on however, and you will probably go elsewhere for things like enterainment, restaurants, and shopping. With the estates and gated communities, PV doesn't feel very neighborly. With young kids, I would choose the Hollywood Riviera area of S. Torrance over PV. It is still pretty close to Pedro.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:14 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
The south bay area has some nice areas: Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, El Segundo, Manhattan Beach, PV, RPV and Torrance. These areas are generally safe and have good schools.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
I love PV and used to live in RPV. You will be able to find a nice home somewhere on the PV Peninsula for $6k.

The one thing that I will say about PV is that it can feel as if you are a bit isolated from the rest of the greater LA area. If you hate that feeling then you may want to look at the Hollywood Riviera area of Redondo Beach, Torrance or even parts of San Pedro.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM

6 posts, read 14,187 times
Thanks for the advice. We will be scouting the areas in mid november. We come from Denmark, where everything is small in a US scale. We live in a town with 60.000 people, adjusting to life in LA will take some time.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:51 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
Palos Verdes, Rancho Palos Verdes and Palos Verdes Estates are all great areas, with very nice homes. Rendondo, Hermosa and Mangattan Beach are also great suggestions. With a $6000/mo budget, you won't have a problem finding a great place for your family. Good luck with the move!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I
The one thing that I will say about PV is that it can feel as if you are a bit isolated from the rest of the greater LA area. If you hate that feeling then you may want to look at the Hollywood Riviera area of Redondo Beach...
Grew up in PV, then moved over the hill to Hollywood Riviera...would probably recommend HR for the good of the kids. PV is great for scenery, schools and less people, but the downside is the weirdness of very rich people and their kids in an isolated place, which doesn't represent reality for many outside of the 1%. Can be a warped reality in which kids either buy into the privileged, spoiled-brat thing, or go completely the other way and totally rebel.

But the surf is great at Lunada Bay.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:47 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,236 times
I'm mostly an outsider, so I can't answer your question about the current cost of renting there. However, I have had family nearby for more than 40 years and I feel confident saying it sounds as if Palos Verdes (or areas close by) would be good options for you. A less expensive alternative that is also relatively close to San Pedro would be Torrance, which is mostly very nice, but not as scenic or fancy as the communities on the PV peninsula. The caveat I would give is that, while PV's views and climate are great, is can be a bit of a drive to stores or other amenities. I spent summers there as a teenager, when it perhaps wasn't as pretentious as people say it is nowadays. But ... it is still quite beautiful with great views and fresh air.

If I had little kids (or friends & family) to enjoy it, I think I would enjoy living there. OTOH, I suspect single folks or empty-nesters would find it kinda lonely. One can only spend so much time enjoying the view.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:06 PM

78 posts, read 189,510 times
I have lived in San Pedro. Please, please do NOT go into San Pedro if you can avoid it! The town has gone to the dogs and is growing worse by the day. First off, it is part of LA. That means LA unified schools for the kids. If you value their future, please avoid that school district unless of course you don't mind them getting beat up every day. If you MUST do the area, stay ABOVE Western Ave. If you must go below, go no further than say, 25th Street. Try and stay in RPV. There are many apartment homes in the area that are reasonable. You could stay there while looking for a home to rent. This would put your kids in RPV school district which is better then LA. As for shopping and going out, there are lots of places on the peninsula now! You have a choice of groceries and other shops as well as a very good library, theatre, and lots of safe walking areas! San Pedro: dirty, noisy. Break ins abound in the area and gang activity is up. When we left, our neighborhood watch was about beside themselves with trying to get the police to at least try and show some interest in our area. That's another thing: LA police. San Pedro is LAST on their list of places to respond to. If you call 911 you will be asked questions such as; "How do you know they are in your house?" (I walked in on them!) "How do you know they have a gun?" (Ah, they pointed it at me?) The above is true. Our neighbor walked in on a robber in her place. The police showed up 2 hours later. RPV is patrolled by the LA Sheriff. They care, they respond. So to recap: NO to San Pedro, YES to RPV. May you be protected during your time here.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:31 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,236 times
I guess I should add, that by "PV", I meant more towards the top of the hill that comprises the peninsula. There are also very nice places near the base of the hill (like RPV) that have more convenient access to amenities. As with the rest of coastal CA, the varying microclimates can make differences over small distances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles