Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 10:50 AM

3 posts, read 2,931 times

Advertisements

Hey,
Hope everybody is doing well. Listen, I am going to be that guy that lays down the same generic story, but without being vague, I'll be rather descriptive and informative to all I know.

My friend and I will be relocating due to work in Los Angeles by Spring of 2013. We both WILL have jobs. Now I've read this forum extensively, and the number one correlation or advice I've seen:
Live close to where you work. Most users or transplants are still unsure of where they will work, so this becomes contentious for them to find a place.

I, unlike the others, have a pretty solid idea of where I'll work, and this is whats probelmatic. I will be working in the rough areas of Los Angeles as part of a non for profit group trying to engage inner city youth.
I imagine south LA, Compton, and Inglewood will be areas I am familiar with in my work, and daily life. Obviously, I'd prefer to live somewhere quiet, and less prone for violence/illegal activity. I will have access to a car,
but in all honesty, I'd prefer to take public transportation to work. My job would be like a 9 PM to 5 PM job, but I will be traveling alot to get to various Youth Groups, and places for kids to go and be safe. I heard public parking is not ideal, but I've heard public transportation is pretty slow. Any suggestions on living areas nearby rougher neighborhoods, and or car vs bus/subway would be helpful.

Next important question - how much can we afford? Two people, we can pay prolly 1300-1600 a month.

Any advice would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 11:53 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
if work will require you to be in different locations throughout the week, depending on public transit will make your life extremely difficult. getting a car or scooter/motorcycle will be worth it. as far as where to live, your budget might get you a 2br, but most likely a 1br in a decent area. culver city isn't too far from the neighborhoods you mentioned that and may be worth considering. however, LA has rough neighborhoods all over the city/region, not just the south LA neighborhoods. there's also east LA, which is notoriously rough/poor, as well as the central san fernando valley (think pacoima and surrounding communities) among others. you should really get a better idea of where you will be expected to travel before deciding on a place to live, you don't want to be forced to drive from LA proper to Palmdale every day.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 2,931 times
Thanks for the advice, I'd plan on staying in the South Central area at a given time for a week, then to a different spot for a week, so commuting by the day will only be to one location. That being said, I'd plan on being in the South/East LA spots the most. Culver City has been mentioned to me a few times on these boards, and by a friend of mine who part time stays in LA. Do I need to take the freeway to essentially get to South LA from CC, or can I take back streets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles