Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:34 PM

17 posts, read 46,743 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the LA area for a new job on the Burbank / Glendale border, and I'm just wondering where a good place to live is, as it is sooooo big and we're not sure where to start.

We are a small family with a 3 year old son, so we would like a nice place to live that is safe but that is also a 'hip' area as we're late twenties/early 30's and like to go out to good restaurants, nightlife, etc. We like walking neighbourhoods with lots of parks. I don't want to commute longer than a 1/2 hour. We'll probably rent for the first year and would like to pay around $3000 for a 3 bedroom.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 03:19 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Will your new employer allow you to fly out for a couple of house hunting visits? Most employers will do this and will also provide recommendations for lodging/housing. Have you asked them for any recommendations?

Old 10-10-2007, 03:23 PM

Yes, but I don't have time as it's a tight turn-around. They'll have someone help me and show us places once we are there, but I want to do as much research as I can upfront. They recommend being open-minded and not limiting my choice, so that wasn't too much help.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaland transplant View Post
Yes, but I don't have time as it's a tight turn-around. They'll have someone help me and show us places once we are there, but I want to do as much research as I can upfront. They recommend being open-minded and not limiting my choice, so that wasn't too much help.
That does not sound like a company I would want to work for. You sure this is a solid company? Ive never heard of a company not giving ample time for relocation and house hunting especially for someone with a family to move.

Where are you relocating from? I just want to get an idea so as to make recommendations that arent TOO different from where you are now.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
That does not sound like a company I would want to work for. You sure this is a solid company? Ive never heard of a company not giving ample time for relocation and house hunting especially for someone with a family to move.

Where are you relocating from? I just want to get an idea so as to make recommendations that arent TOO different from where you are now.

Trust me, the company is pretty solid. They just need someone to be there ASAP and I have to fulfill obligations here so the timing isn't the best and I am not able to take them up on their offer to visit first. I live just outside San Jose.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:46 PM

Thats cool. I personally prefer Burbank over Glendale. If you can find something above Glenoaks Blvd in Burbank it would be great. You would be very close to the Media Center (Movies, restarants, shopping, etc.) There are also some small houses near NBC studios along Alameda and Riverside nearing the Toluca Lake area that is also nice. You can also look at North Hollwood zip code 91601 which is the nicest part of NoHo where Toluca Lake and Burbank meet. This may be your best bet to find a rental in your price range. Good luck.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:00 PM

43 posts, read 189,813 times
I'm in my early 30s and live in Atwater Village. It's basically between Los Feliz (another great place) and Glendale. Lots of restaurants, galleries, bars, etc. that are interesting, and a very easy commute. Homes for the most part are from the 1920s/1930s, and have lots of character. But it's also not ultra-expensive, like Los Feliz is (Los Feliz is home to many of the sites from the movie Swingers, if you remember that).

Atwater is central to Silver Lake, Hollywood, Downtown, Glendale, Burbank, Pasadena, and pretty much everywhere. We're pretty happy here. Atwater Village is basically bound by Fletcher Dr on the south, Los Feliz Blvd on the north, Interstate 5 on the West, and the city of Glendale on the East.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:09 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Try La Canada Flintridge, South Pasadena, San Marino, Toluca Lake, Glendale, and Burbank

Old 10-10-2007, 05:11 PM

43 posts, read 189,813 times
Oh yeah, Pasadena is great too.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:38 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Pasadena
REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail

Glendale

By living in either So. Pasadena or Glendale, you won't have to worry about traffic as they are close to Burbank. South Pasadena is definitely the better place though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles