Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:43 AM

42 posts, read 221,111 times

Advertisements

I wish they would get rid of the CA CRV tax. I see homeless people going through trash all the time for cans and bottles. Once I went to a recycling station and the bum in front of me said he made $175 in one day. The recylcying stations are full of bums with bags worth of stuff. It is anoying for the regular person like myself, as I have to wait an hour to get my refund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 11:53 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie894 View Post
I wish they would get rid of the CA CRV tax. I see homeless people going through trash all the time for cans and bottles. Once I went to a recycling station and the bum in front of me said he made $175 in one day. The recylcying stations are full of bums with bags worth of stuff. It is anoying for the regular person like myself, as I have to wait an hour to get my refund.
Recycling of plastic bottles and cans is one of the only positive things they do.

You wait in line for a refund? I put all that stuff into a blue container that is picked up by the City.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:01 PM

22 posts, read 76,155 times
I don't mind them hanging out in the library if they are reading. Napoleon Hill was a homeless drunk who hung out in the library and would pass the time reading. Otherwise, the librarian would kick him out. Look what he became! He wrote the book " Think and Grow Rich", worked for Edison, and became a multimillionaire!

Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 PM

1,072 posts, read 845,344 times
We've had a bit of trading troubles in the foothills here when it comes to homeless.
The Glendale Police (white cars/blue writing) have been seen dropping off homeless from Glendale at the Tujunga-La Crescenta border on the Tujunga side which is Los Angeles (traditional black and white cars and writing )
Easy to tell they are "out of towners".
Happens mostly round 1-2 amish. hmm good travlin hours if your travlin homeless? Being delilvered homeless to a new lome - loess ?

Also, I have heard that Bevery Hills has their in an encampment that we all drive by every day and would never know it !
Gotta just go tourista sometime and look for them.

We do have Reagan to thank for the increase and perpetuality of homeless on the streets what with his money saving "open the doors of the asylum" and close the doors on Public Health" programs for the rich to get richer ,that, no matter who is in the big Office just can;t seem to turn that around to the days of humanity.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:11 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

Reminds me of that South Park episode:

YouTube - South Park- California Homeless
In the cityyyy...city of santa monica...they;re super cool to the homeless.

they include brentwood and venice also. lol.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:29 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHATTY CATHY View Post
We do have Reagan to thank for the increase and perpetuality of homeless on the streets what with his money saving "open the doors of the asylum" and close the doors on Public Health" programs for the rich to get richer ,that, no matter who is in the big Office just can;t seem to turn that around to the days of humanity.
Thank you for posting that, I was thinking the same. He closed many mental health facilities, cut funding, and basically stated that homeless people have a choice to be homeless or not be homeless.

I agree that there is a % of homeless that should work but choose not to, but there is also a % that are mentally incapable and/or substance dependent.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:41 PM

78 posts, read 344,253 times
If you were homeless, and were free to go anywhere in the country, where would you go?

A lot of people end up here in LA. It's too bad there aren't enough resources to help them get of the street. A lot of them have mental illness and cannot function on their own. Shelters exist, but not enough, and no one wants a shelter in their neighborhood.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:46 PM

1,072 posts, read 845,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinMom06 View Post
If you were homeless, and were free to go anywhere in the country, where would you go?

A lot of people end up here in LA. It's too bad there aren't enough resources to help them get of the street. A lot of them have mental illness and cannot function on their own. Shelters exist, but not enough, and no one wants a shelter in their neighborhood.

I wouldn't mind a shelter here in our neighborhood.
We have a huge empty lot that HomeDepot was unable to open a store cause they are an inappropriate business for a residential neighborhood, that just sits and sits out of spite or because they think they can fanagle to squeeze something in. I think they should donate it to the city to build a environmentally , asthetically pleasing shelter for those families with children who are othehrwise living in their cars. NOT a halfway house or drug rehab place. But a place that really helps families who just hit hard times and found themselves out on the street really make a go of it.
I think Pasadena has something like this. Absolutley no drug or crime cases, only families with small children.

We have a questionaire that goes home with LAUSD kids as to what the living arrangements are for the child...1 parent 2 parent home, apartment, residential living , OTHER !!! Yea, I think other means like a car or tent. I am not kidding. Have you seen the tent city at the offramp on Wilshire. So very sad. Gosh if LAUSD used the 45 million dollars in fraud spent they could have housed and educated many children in the district.

and on and on.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:47 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie894 View Post
Do you remember how it was before when we had bottles and cans all over the ground and streets? The bums aren't going anywhere, CA CRV or none. Better having them picking up bottles than committing petty theft.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:58 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchoparque View Post
and public libraries are a haven for the homeless mentally ill....
yep! a few years ago, i used to study regularly at the main pasadena library, and the place was crawling with homeless people. one woman stashed all her belongings in one of the restroom stalls all day, and often could be found, stripped down to her bra, washing up in the sink there. the problem was even worse at the brand new library that opened in my hollywood neighborhood. i once complained to a staffer about the noise level created by the vagrants there, and was told that there was nothing they could do, because "the whole community must be made to feel welcome" or some such nonsense. apparently, no one cares if the taxpayers who support these facilities are able to use them.

contrastingly, the beverly hills public library didn't seem to have such problems. i wonder if the fact that it is housed in the same building as the police department has something to do with that...

(and before anyone says that BH has no homeless on its streets, that is so not true!)

Last edited by katenik; 10-17-2007 at 10:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles