Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 04:30 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Guys out in West LA, especially West Hollywood are prim to the core. I mean eyebrows done, Justin Bieber hair styles, super flexed with the right arm sleve tattoos to boot.
Gay guys tend to go the extra mile to effect a certain look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
What are you talking about guys in West Hollywood? I've lived there before and most guys - yes even the gay ones - are frumpy and lazy dressed. Many overweight. Like the rest of LA county.
There is a tad boho look to every eclectic style in LA I agree but there are a lot that are also pretty prim.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:36 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,485,458 times
No, there are laws on the books that make it illegal to be fat in LA.

If you're 20% overweight, it's a 20% tax on food purchases.

If you're 30% overweight, it's a 30% tax on food purchases.

If you don't lose the weight and/or balloon to even greater weights, you are scooped up by the authorities and sent out to the Central Valley to work the fields. There are a number of jails out there too if you rebel against this sort of thing.

No, it is definitely not OK to be fat in LA. It's OK anywhere else in the state (except maybe SF and Marin counties) but not in LA.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post

No, it is definitely not OK to be fat in LA. It's OK anywhere else in the state (except maybe SF and Marin counties) but not in LA.
Kevin Smith found out something like this on the way to Burbank:

Kevin Smith Too Fat to Fly - ABC News

Kind of like, "You're not only too fat for L.A., you're too fat to even land near it."

Old 11-21-2012, 09:39 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
What are you talking about guys in West Hollywood? I've lived there before and most guys - yes even the gay ones - are frumpy and lazy dressed. Many overweight. Like the rest of LA county.
If most guys are frumpy, lazy dressed, and overweight, what does that make the rest of the country??

Old 11-21-2012, 09:46 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Those guys are still a minority though, even in LA. Weho guys, probably not really competing with as well.

I don't mind the overdone look in women, I just don't think it really makes much difference. I've seen it look good in some women, not so good in others. I think it's more about knowing how to do it, and the natural attractiveness of the woman herself.

Chicago for example, is known for this this "Italian bella" look you'd see in the club girls among Italian/Greek/Persian/some Hispanic. Super overdone glitter make up, borderline orange tan, smoky eyes, but for some reason, a lot of them believed in very thick eyebrows that nearly converged in the middle at the same time.

Then for guys, you have Chicago "guidos" but again, small minority. Everyone who isn't one, likes to act like they are somehow very common when they aren't. I always found that really dumb. See a guy halfway into style, "There's another guido", even if the guy isn't close to being a stereotypical guido.

I do find it interesting that hipsters are sort of seen as not trying, when they put a lot of work at thrift stores into their "effortless style". It might be harder to dress like one of them in my opinion than normal style. They also put a lot of work into coordinating neon with vintage, etc. They might spend hours looking for the perfect super skinny jeans to go with an old belt.

I've always thought of LA as the place for the "very metro/stylish" non-guido, non-hipster (category I'd put myself in). Which seems to be a rare minority these days.
Eh . . . there are some guidos/guidettes in Chicago, but very small number I think. Chicagoland is not the NYC tri state area. My style has some shades of guido/Jersey shore, but just a very slight hint. But back in Chicago, there were people that thought I looked Jersey Shore.

Going out, I will wear a nice fitting, stretch (cotton-spandex) solid t-shirt usually v-neck, or a striped multi-colored button shirt, my St. Christopher medal I had since my Catholic confirmation, a small stud on my left ear, and may spike my hair if its short enough, if not I gel it forward, while always keeping the back and sides relatively freshly tapered. If that makes me metro/guido then so be it.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:57 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
People will jump on here and say that no, it's not okay to be fat in LA... and yet... everywhere you go in LA, you see fat people.

Which leads me to believe that yes, it is in fact okay to be fat in LA.

Is it desirable? No, and it's not the same situation that you'll find in other areas of the US, where if you're chunkier/bigger it's assumed that you're a more wholesome, "real" person than if you keep yourself trim. In LA, it's something that most people aspire to, certainly... but, for many, it's an aspiration and nothing more.

FTR, I saw more "fit" people in SF and British Columbia on average than in LA...

Old 11-30-2012, 08:16 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,137 times
Quote:
Of course. Even though LA is slimmer than the country as a whole, fat people are the majority. In the black and latino communities (which it sounds like you are and trying to date), plus sized women are definitely a plus. FOr whites and asians, not as much.
UUUgh where did you get that fats are a plus in these other communities? And what is your definition of fat?! Black men like women that have a but and aren't stick figures but we don't particularly love fat women. My guess is you either don't know much about blacks and latinos and are stereotyping, or you're a fattist, who thinks anyone not really skinny is fat (type of person that thinks J-lo is fat) and since blacks and latinos like that, they like fat or a combination of both...please don't speak for me again. Thanks

Old 11-30-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
People will jump on here and say that no, it's not okay to be fat in LA... and yet... everywhere you go in LA, you see fat people.

Which leads me to believe that yes, it is in fact okay to be fat in LA.

Is it desirable? No, and it's not the same situation that you'll find in other areas of the US, where if you're chunkier/bigger it's assumed that you're a more wholesome, "real" person than if you keep yourself trim. In LA, it's something that most people aspire to, certainly... but, for many, it's an aspiration and nothing more.

FTR, I saw more "fit" people in SF and British Columbia on average than in LA...
Agreed. It's definitely not like the midwest. People here workout a lot and stuff but there's not this overwhelming fat hate going on. And there's plenty of fat people here.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I don't know about this. I know there are a lot of beautiful women here and some handsome tall men but above all I think that the South/Midwest (cities and burbs) tends to have the prettiest women and the tall "manly" types.

I've seen a lot of metrosexuals, overly prim guys and a lot of super skinny women.

For some reason, the same way some women like their men to be "manly", i.e. not GQ, I like my girls to look like they don't try so hard to look good. I thought moving to LA I was just going to fall head over heels with LA women because of seeing them all the time on TV, but I've found that TV tends to make them look better than they really look.

Instead I've really fallen for the cool hipster girls out in Silverlake and Echo. Gorgeous.
I gotta disagree with you on this. Don't get me wrong there are some fine girls out there but you see way more on average in LA. I see a beautiful woman like 10x a day AT LEAST here in LA. I think "trying too hard" is subjective. People in LA (and NYC) tend to love fashion and some people consider that trying too hard. I don't. But I know what you're talking about and their are a lot of them types but a lot of them types without make up usually kill the game (meaning beat out) compared the rest of the country. But it's all subjective. I just know that every friend or person that I've met for that matter comes here and says the same thing, "OMG, the women here are sooo fine and they are of all types of races!"

Last edited by taydigga; 11-30-2012 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: too not to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles