Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:02 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
I believe you meant "world ass city".
So when are you leaving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 04:04 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,491,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
If New York is the big apple, then LA must be the big nipple :rimshot:
Actually, if LA is the big nipple, that would make NYC the big butthole. Wait, that might be New Jersey.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:08 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,867,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Really, I felt nothing getting off at Hollywood/Highland. It doesn't even compare.
Probably doesn't compare, but might want to reserve judgement until you've seen it in the summer time. There is a marked difference. Actually this weekend was pretty insane with people having Easter break... When it is at its most crowded it can be nearly impossible to get from McCadden to Sycamore along Hollywood Blvd. They were recently repairing the Walk of Fame by the subway station and that narrowed the sidewalk, concentrating the crowd even more.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:13 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,491,777 times
Quote:
So when are you leaving?
PDF, if you only knew how we yearn every day to get out of this hellhole. Unfortunately, I have 24 years in as a teacher and need a few more years before I can leave. But, as soon as I can, we are on the LA Express and never looking back.

90% of the New York City residents I know have no desire to visit Times Square or any other part of Manhattan. For those of use who grew up here (I have lived her for over 50 years), "the city" is long gone. Manhattan has been drained of all its character, and the other boroughs are pretty much useless at this point. It is a city of compromised values.

When I show my friends pictures of LA they marvel at the diversity of geography and activities. LA still has a lot of character, especially so because it is so sprawled out and there is room to indulge so many different styles of living. New York has been given over to developers, greed or neglect. It really is about making money, 24/7. Either enough to survive or more than anyone needs, either one or the other, no middle ground.

So, I repeat, thankfully there is no Times Square in LA, but there is no Venice, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Hollywood, etc. in NY.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:15 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
Quote:
PDF, if you only knew how we yearn every day to get out of this hellhole. Unfortunately, I have 24 years in as a teacher and need a few more years before I can leave. But, as soon as I can, we are on the LA Express and never looking back.

90% of the New York City residents I know have no desire to visit Times Square or any other part of Manhattan. For those of use who grew up here (I have lived her for over 50 years), "the city" is long gone. Manhattan has been drained of all its character, and the other boroughs are pretty much useless at this point. It is a city of compromised values.

When I show my friends pictures of LA they marvel at the diversity of geography and activities. LA still has a lot of character, especially so because it is so sprawled out and there is room to indulge so many different styles of living. New York has been given over to developers, greed or neglect. It really is about making money, 24/7. Either enough to survive or more than anyone needs, either one or the other, no middle ground.

So, I repeat, thankfully there is no Times Square in LA, but there is no Venice, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Hollywood, etc. in NY.
Well that's a different viewpoint. You're the first person I've heard of to hate NYC that much.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,121,077 times
Quote:
I believe you meant "world ass city".
Nah, NYC looks ****in' epic, can't wait to visit it.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Always figured sprawl was L.A.'s big joke. the whole reason for heavy traffic and smog. Taking transit in many parts of L.A. can be a pain, but so is a car. The lucky ones live near the transit hubs, the **** out of luck folks leave away from it. Rapid is good but when it's late, the rapid buses no longer run and the late buses lag it.
I still say **** it and use transit when I can unless a car is more necessary. L.A. is my home and I love it, but damn, I wanna sucker punch the people that shaped the city the past 100 years.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:39 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,628,805 times
Quote:
Really, I felt nothing getting off at Hollywood/Highland. It doesn't even compare.
Of course it doesn't compare. Times Square is an experience not just a tourist attraction. It's a ride just getting off the escalator.

Highland and Hollywood gives you that a miniscule level. LA Live though is cool at night is quite a sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano
Nah, NYC looks ****in' epic, can't wait to visit it.
Dude, NYC is bad ass. I agree. But we're comparing two types of epic. One is Gotham City, just majestic and strong looking. LA is a neon jungle, it looks like a city out of a Manga; Neo-Tokyo, Blade Runner.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Of course it doesn't compare. Times Square is an experience not just a tourist attraction. It's a ride just getting off the escalator.

Highland and Hollywood gives you that a miniscule level. LA Live though is cool at night is quite a sight.

Dude, NYC is bad ass. I agree. But we're comparing two types of epic. One is Gotham City, just majestic and strong looking. LA is a neon jungle, it looks like a city out of a Manga; Neo-Tokyo, Blade Runner.
I know, when you said that last time, you made me see L.A. alot different. we just can't let suburbanites ruin it for us. Can't wait to see the wilshire grand tower completed.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:53 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,628,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I know, when you said that last time, you made me see L.A. alot different. we just can't let suburbanites ruin it for us. Can't wait to see the wilshire grand tower completed.
At first I thought it was sprawl but after seeing Koreatown, Miracle Mile, the trek down Sunset and east Hollywood to DTLA, LA looked more like the mega city it really is. When the sun comes down its the most neon sign colored city I've ever seen. The greens, reds, purples, blues, etc. I have never ever seen that any colors etch the urban landscape in NYC. Other American cities are really dark brooding and rustic at night (Miami is another exception). LA reminds me of as Asian city at night, like a Bangkok or Manila.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles