Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:36 AM

144 posts, read 129,445 times

Advertisements

Me: 25 years old, grew up outside of New York City, currently working in central Connecticut. I've lived in the northeast my entire life, so I have a some of that "New York mentality." Though I am currently employed, I am casually looking for more promising opportunities. The best one is with a similar company in LA. I have never been to LA, so I don't know the intricacies of the city (only what I've read online). However, I have always been intrigued by the city.

The company is located in West LA, more specifically near Playa Vista. Currently, I live in a 1-bedroom apartment with a washer/dryer and dishwasher, but it's a modest place and costs $850/month. How much would something like this cost in LA? The new job would pay more than my current one, so I can probably afford it as long as it's not crazy expensive. Additionally, where is a good area to live that isn't a long drive from work (within 20-ish minutes)?

Being from the northeast, I'm thinking the culture shock would be the biggest change for me. Anything particular noteworthy? And is there anything else I should be aware of in LA? For example, I regularly use a car, but is LA traffic that much worse than NYC traffic? Does it take hours to hit popular areas such as Hollywood, LA Live or Santa Monica (among others)? Some of my west-coast friends mention the smog, but is it any worse than the snowstorms and bad weather that often visits the northeast?

I appreciate the insights to my (many) questions. Again, I've never been to LA so I'm curious about the lifestyle and possibilities.

Last edited by LivingInAmerica; 04-06-2013 at 01:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 08:48 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Depending on where you go and when, every trip will be a "trip".

The smog is just a big unhealthful brown mass over/in the sky that prevents you from seeing the mountains and/or far some days.

Rain is a cataclysmic event in LA, so be prepared for that.

Also, double or triple your rent budget if you plan on living alone.

Visit first.

MOD WARNING: If this turns into another LA vs NYC thread, offending posts will be deleted.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:01 AM

56 posts, read 150,765 times
Is there any way you can manage a trip to LA before you decide? The two places have very different vibes (just search the numerous NY vs. LA threads on this site). It's the kind of thing you'll either love or hate.

If you do decide to make the move, I would suggest searching for a studio or sublet in the Playa Vista development, in Playa del Rey or in Culver City with the plan to move somewhere else once you've gotten to know the area better. I lived in Playa del Rey for 8+ years before moving to Manhattan Beach (though I'm just outside New York City) and I always recommend that area or the South Bay to young, single professionals.

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2013, 11:13 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
My advice to anyone wanting to move to L.A... BRING lot's of money or have a job or business lined up that will pay you lot's of money.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:42 PM

Appreciate the early responses. I would absolutely visit before making the move, that's (obviously) very important. JM1982, I seem to agree. I'd only be moving to LA if I end up getting a job in the city. Otherwise, there's little-to-no point. Breakaway Girl, I'll search the areas you suggest. I make a modest salary (25 years old, after all), so I'm not looking for anything super-pricey.

David Aguilar, after 25 years of snow, hurricanes and the cold, sunny skies every day is tremendous!

Old 04-07-2013, 01:12 AM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
The thing about LA that most people who have never been here don't grasp it the huge, sprawling size of the city. On the other hand, it's not like you'd probably have any reason to visit a lot of it. But it can take a long time to get from point A to point B because of the traffic. And you just never know with traffic - non-rush hour times can still be horrendous. There are so many cars on the road, that there's always a chance of an accident and that can really wreak havoc. The same drive can take you 20 minutes or over an hour, depending on traffic. Housing is expensive. A lot of apartment complexes do not include refrigerators in the apts so you might have to buy one.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:50 AM

Good to know Spikett.

One thing I did not touch on in the OP - earthquakes. How common are the noticeable ones and how many are legitimate threats in the LA area? I've felt one earthquake in my lifetime, and it was very, very minor (the epicenter was in Virginia, many hours away). It lasted maybe 10-15 seconds, no damage was done, and no one even know it was a real earthquake until the local news casually mentioned it.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInAmerica View Post
Good to know Spikett.

One thing I did not touch on in the OP - earthquakes. How common are the noticeable ones and how many are legitimate threats in the LA area? I've felt one earthquake in my lifetime, and it was very, very minor (the epicenter was in Virginia, many hours away). It lasted maybe 10-15 seconds, no damage was done, and no one even know it was a real earthquake until the local news casually mentioned it.
Visit The Los Angeles Earthquake Containment Thread

The last one that resulted in numerous deaths/chaos was on MLK Day 1994.

1994 Northridge earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-07-2013, 02:30 PM

11 posts, read 14,625 times
There are many NY to LA transplants particularly in Beverly Hills area. It's very different with the foremost being the weather which is amazing. One friend says..we have two kinds of weather..Good and Better! Lifestyle is casual and very much "outdoor". I recommend you come for an extended visit and see if L.A. is for you.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:36 PM

38 posts, read 98,646 times
Rents for one-bedrooms in the areas near West LA *begin* at ~$1100 for a one-bedroom and go up from there.

The biggest shock will, unfortunately, be traffic and parking. Research the traffic and watch it day to day at sigalert.com. It will give you an idea of how the 405 and the 101 gets congested and when. I live in the Valley (an area north of West LA along and north of the 101). On a non-peak traffic time, I can make it to LAX in 25 min. Peak traffic, sometimes it has taken me an hour to get home. Even on the weekends, you can run into it. You just learn to deal with it. Best advice, get a gps before you come.

Smog: If you're living by the ocean, you deal with it a lot less than those that live north in the Valley or east towards the mountains.

Earthquakes: don't live in fear. If they happen, they happen and everyone is screwed. Enjoy the beauty and the fine weather everyday and don't worry about the other stuff that has an infinitesimally small chance of happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles