Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 02:10 PM

7 posts, read 12,303 times

Advertisements

My fiance has accepted an IT related job in Los Angeles and we have decided to relocate. I am currently employed as a financial analyst for a large oil company in Houston that does not have an LA office, so I would need to find a new job.

How is the job market in LA for people in finance & accounting with 5 years of experience? I read everywhere that the economy in California is bad, but how bad is it really? Or is it different for people with an in-demand degree and job experience.

Also, what kind of salary range should I be expecting?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 10:46 PM

374 posts, read 721,554 times
There are plenty of jobs for experienced people in LA. Chevron has a large presence in LA.

It's tough for poor people and hipsters who want to "make it" with acting, singing, and other unlikely professions.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:59 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
I'd say at a minimum you should definitely be able to find work. Your experience and education will determine how much you can earn. With the little info you provided, I'd guess you should earn between 50k-100k. Also, Oxy is headquartered here, so oil jobs exist in the city.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:01 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times
Do you have an MBA?

Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 AM

7 posts, read 12,303 times
I currently make about 75K in Houston. I do not have an MBA, just a BBA. I have been working as a financial analyst for a little over 5 years now and feel lucky to have gotten to where I am at. I checked the Chevron and Oxy websites but could not find any open positions. Should I expect a higher salary for a cost of living adjustment or is this asking too much?

Old 07-04-2013, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 49,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
There are plenty of jobs for experienced people in LA. Chevron has a large presence in LA.

It's tough for poor people and hipsters who want to "make it" with acting, singing, and other unlikely professions.
LOL, this is so freakin' true. I know people like that in my life where somehow they never have to get up to go to work in the morning, yet somehow manage to scape by.

Sometimes I wonder if they're the smart ones and I'm the idiot for going to bed at a reasonable hour and getting up to go to work every morning, but then I'm the one who gets to take fabulous vacations, dine at great restaurants, and buy whatever it is my heart desires!

I'm moving to LA next month, and despite the economy, I have no doubt I will find a job without difficulty.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:44 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston03 View Post
I currently make about 75K in Houston. I do not have an MBA, just a BBA. I have been working as a financial analyst for a little over 5 years now and feel lucky to have gotten to where I am at. I checked the Chevron and Oxy websites but could not find any open positions. Should I expect a higher salary for a cost of living adjustment or is this asking too much?
Try this if you are willing to work outside the oil/gas industry:
Financial Analyst Jobs, Employment in Los Angeles, CA | Indeed.com

Old 01-17-2014, 11:12 AM

239 posts, read 673,251 times
Does los angeles have a much bigger job market than orange county in the finance/IT/accounting field? Would it be like comparing NYC to nearby long island? i'd prefer to live in orange county but if my prospects of finding a job in my field are way better in LA, i will have to look there for my first residence.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:21 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,190,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2020 View Post
Does los angeles have a much bigger job market than orange county in the finance/IT/accounting field? Would it be like comparing NYC to nearby long island? i'd prefer to live in orange county but if my prospects of finding a job in my field are way better in LA, i will have to look there for my first residence.
The city of Los Angeles has a larger population than the entire county of Orange, so by default LA will have more options. bring in all of LA Country and you're looking at 10M people (vs. 3M in OC). OC has a surprisingly large economy though, so don't discount the area. with a solid skill set and enough experience, you should be able to find a job in either location. If you prefer the entertainment industry, obviously LA is the way to go. However, if you don't care about the industry, definitely check both areas.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:32 AM

239 posts, read 673,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
The city of Los Angeles has a larger population than the entire county of Orange, so by default LA will have more options. bring in all of LA Country and you're looking at 10M people (vs. 3M in OC). OC has a surprisingly large economy though, so don't discount the area. with a solid skill set and enough experience, you should be able to find a job in either location. If you prefer the entertainment industry, obviously LA is the way to go. However, if you don't care about the industry, definitely check both areas.
My preference is for financial services (i.e. banking, investments). i will check both to the extent i can, but in case i find myself in southern california without a job, i'd like to be renting closer to where my chances of landing a job are greater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles