Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 08:59 PM

14 posts, read 26,898 times

Advertisements

So, the question is where to live?

I currently pay $1600 for a spacious 2+1 with a big yard and deck and w/d. This is all important as I'm bringing a zoo with me: wife, baby (cloth diapers - lots of washer use plus hang drying), and 2 dogs. Each >50 lbs by the way (except the baby!).

I work in calabasas right now and have a ~60 minute commute home. If I get the LA job I'd like to halve that if possible. Current ideas: downtown, culver city, Hollywood area. I think I would like to take the rail/subway to work (near union station) but I haven't ever used that as a commuter, only as a tourist. I know I live in an adjoining county, but I don't know much about LA neighborhoods. Im pretty sure I'd rather live by UCLA than USC though.

The pay raise for this job is huge....about 30%. But housing and other costs might eat up a huge chunk of that.

Desires: space, family friendly. Wife is SAHM so an area she can cruise around with stroller is cool. Near transportation. Not too hot. Ha. This is sounding ridiculous perhaps.

Any and all ideas are welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 09:19 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Simi Valley or the west SF Valley? You could take the train downtown.

That's only if you want to try to save some of the money from your raise. Otherwise, figure double the rent for spacious, a yard, OK with having 2 big dogs, safe, family-friendly.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:57 PM

What specific areas do you recommend that could meet some/most/all of my criteria?

I would prefer to train downtown vs drive. So something like Culver City may be better than Brentwood (making places up here pretty much) because Culver City has the expo line heading downtown.

This place seems okay, could hang laundry near large windows: 2 bedroom, 2bathroom Rowan building Los Angeles

Perhaps this one if I wanted to live it up? ULTRA MODERN DUAL MASTER BEDROOMS AND BATHROOMS includes Washer/Dryer
(not sure if w/d are in unit, which would be big negative)

Thanks again.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:14 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,302 times
Answering these questions will help others give you ideas:

1)Budget for housing. You said you're at 1600 now and your salary will go up 30%. Does that mean you're willing to pay 2100/mo?

2)Single Family or Apartment/Townhome

3)How important are schools districts.

I don't understand the Simi Valley suggestion at all and would not recommend living there to work in DTLA.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:18 PM

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.0...i=transit_comp
This link is pretty cool. Maybe I could consider Pasadena...

1) Housing budget would be capped at about $2200 I think. If I could stay in the upper teens that would be awesome though.

2) My wife would prefer a SF but I am okay with any type of arrangement. I have wanted to move to NYC since I was a kid so living in DTLA in an apt. building has some appeal to me. Probably impractical given the way my life has developed (kid, dogs, etc).

3) My kid is 3 months old so school districts are not a concern yet. I would have time to evaluate and move elsewhere probably once I got to know the area.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:20 PM

And I agree with you re: Simi Valley. I think a better location can be found for this situation.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:11 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Found this in Eagle Rock. Assuming the yard can contain your dogs. :

2BD/1BA Charming House with Yard

Ive found the "map view" function on CL to be quite valuable. I set parameters of accepting dogs, search entire post, and 2 bd min with $2200 max rent. Theres not a lot, but there are some. The Highland Park one is super cheap which gives me pause as the area is hit or miss. But could just be an owner a bit out of touch with the area.

This one in No Ho looks great:

Charming 2 Bedroom House

As do these in Glendale:

Charming 2 Bedroom House

3 Bedroom 1 Bath - Home For Rent

Old 07-18-2013, 07:40 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,302 times
I'll give you a quick run down on areas to the north east of DTLA (San Gabriel Valley) that are all 20min - 45 min commutes. There are other nice places on the west side of downtown (that will cost more), but I'm no expert on living there.

Pasadena (certain areas are expensive), South Pasadena (expensive), Eagle Rock (majority middle/ working class), Highland Park (majority middle/ working class), Glendale (personally I'm not a huge fan), Altadena, La Crescenta, northern San Gabriel, northern Alhambra all would fit into your budget of 2200 and are all relatively nice areas, but vary by neighborhood.

If school districts are not a problem (yet) Pasadena is definitely an option for DTLA. If you look in the nicest areas of Pasadena (west of Hill/ south of the 210) $2200/mo will only get you apartment. There are 3 metro stations within this area with lots of apartment complexes around them.
Second option is you can go about 15 minutes further into eastern Pasadena (Hastings Ranch) and still be by a metro station (one at Sierra Madre) and get a SFR for $2200/mo.
Final option for SFR would be to go north of the 210 into Bungalow Heaven (not walkable to metro). Despite what people on this board will say about staying south of the 210, it's a nice area; however, yes you will see Hispanics and African Americans.

I would second John's recommendations about using the "map view" in craig's list. Just search under the SGV in LA and look around.
If you have any questions about the other cities or areas I listed just ask.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:48 PM

Agreed the map feature on CL is great.

I am liking the idea of areas near the red line. It's a quick commute into downtown. But man SL and LF are quite expensive!! Pasadena and south Pasadena also look pretty good with gold line access.

I still think Culver City is promising too. Prices seem a little more affordable there.

The more I think about it, if I move to LA I want to bike or ride (mass transit) to work. My job location would be within 10 minutes walking of union station so it seems like plenty of places can make that happen. I'd consider long beach also but the ride in on the blue line is too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles