Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,121 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to LA from NC. Im in my mid 20s, single & prefer a area with bars close by. I was hoping to find a 2 bedroom apartment for 900-1000 a month in a decent neighborhood/area. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 08:11 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Where will you be working? You won't be able to find a place like that for 900-1000, so you may want to consider getting a roommate.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 PM

106 posts, read 171,171 times
Absolutely no way you will find something for that price range in a decent neighborhood.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:25 PM

428 posts, read 848,813 times
Your going to need to get a roommate unless you want to live in a really bad area. Your not in North Carolina anymore hoss. Welcome to Los Angeles hope you know what your signing up for.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:41 PM

7 posts, read 12,299 times
I think the best value for your dollar would be around the Palms area, which puts you next to Culver City. You would also be close to Santa Monica, Venice, Marina Del Rey, etc. However, I still don't think you will be able to find anything less than $1,000, certainly not 2 BR. Studios in that area would start at around $1,000, if you're up for it. Palms isn't great, but it's the cheapest on the Westside and not horrifying to live there.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:51 PM

118 posts, read 218,021 times
Second PDF above: where is your job? There's plenty of singles scenes here and no 2 BR apts in that range, so I'd start with looking close to your work, and then resign yourself to a studio or roommates.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:58 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
Do you have a job lined up? How much money do you have saved up?

900-1000 will get you a bare bones apartment in the Inland Empire. Rental units at that price simply won't exist in LA or OC, unless you're living in the ganglands.

Rethink your move if that's all the money in your housing budget.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:08 PM

27 posts, read 49,774 times
Yeah, 900-1000 is a one bedroom in the San Fernando Valley if you get lucky. When I looked around Los Feliz/Burbank/Glendale two years ago the best I could find was in the $950-975 range for a one bedroom in an okay neighborhood, and this was usually without parking, no dishwasher or any fancy amenities. Last time a 1 bed opened up in my building in Burbank it went for $1100, and my building is one of the cheaper ones in the area.

I use to live in Culver City, right over the Culver/Palms neighborhood line. You can walk to bars from Palms, but otherwise it's just a densely populated apartment neighborhood with terrible street parking.

And as everyone else already said, you'll want to live near where you'll work.

Now, if you want to pay $900-1000 per month and share a two bedroom with a roommate paying equally as much you will have no problem finding a nice 2 bed in a decent neighborhood. It's a drag, but it's reality.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:47 PM

399 posts, read 1,549,876 times
Default Good Luck...and I really mean that!

I've been living here on the Westside of LA for four years now, mainly due to the fact that I started working at Third Street in Santa Monica and went to Santa Monica College, and now go to UCLA. The fact of the matter is you can pay that much here to share a room. If you want to live like that, you'd probably have to move, as some others put it, on a pretty good commute from here. I'm actually considering this after four years, and I'm looking at singles about 15 miles from the campus for that much. SINGLES, mind you...not a two-bedroom, which ours, next to Westwood In and Out, runs about $3100 before utilities. There are 6 of us living here.

Don't get me wrong, it's a prime area of the city! If you are willing to trade off having your own place and instead have roommates or share rooms, you can pull that off, probably pretty well. (I share a room with another two and we each pay $585.) But I found myself searching as far down as South Bay to pay that much for a single with a parking space (given that I would be needing a whole place, and with storage, utilities, etc I'd be paying the same, adding about 1 hour of driving both ways. The fact of the matter is you'll have to trade off something, so decide what that is and work from there. I really wish you well. Since I've lived here, I've seen some really good deals, which are usually gone, and honestly, I'm from Indiana, where my friend has an entire studio for under $400, all utilities and two parking spaces...I feel your pain.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:23 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDotSmitty View Post
Looking to move to LA from NC. Im in my mid 20s, single & prefer a area with bars close by. I was hoping to find a 2 bedroom apartment for 900-1000 a month in a decent neighborhood/area. Any suggestions?
I think you made a typo.

1500-2300*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles