Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 03:05 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
Haha! Yeah and the accusations and negativity isn't deserved at all. You guys have done nothing but been amazing to people of color in this country!
I love the sweeping generalizations. By that account, all people of color (black) are welfare sucking layabouts who commit most of the crime.

See? Two can play that game.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:44 PM

517 posts, read 1,704,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
In other words, if you hate white men who have racist tendencies, you wouldn't have any reason to argue with most of us posting here who have disdain for white racist men. You would side with us and agree that the problem needs fixing. If you feel defensive towards our allegations of racism, then you must have racist feelings yourself ,and not dislike white men who stir up racial animous. You see, we are not saying all white people are racist, because they are not. But to solve the problem, we all have to agree that it exists, and is the cause for much of our poverty and social ills today.
Look I've been around the block and I don't see the use in hating anyone. White racists, black racists... whoever. It's about having a positive attitude and asking what you can do with your life, because it's within your power. Do that instead of dwelling on others.

And I appreciate a well written long post, but it's not for you to tell me how to think or feel. And saying if I don't see it one way then I am evil..... well that really shows you in a bad light. Life isn't about extremes of belief or anything else. There are inbetweens, different views, and many many different people in different situations.

Remember, I'm white and would love to live in LA. The reason I don't is because it's so damn expensive. Ask most white people and I think you'll get the same honest answer. But whether you believe that depends on you and your own possible prejudice.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:24 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
There is a reason why white kids are hard to find. Children have parents, and parents decide where they will live and work. Economics and personal preferences dominate this scenario. The children have no say in where they live.

So that takes us to the foundation of the situation. Why a large amount of white parents left the LA metro area?

Then that very question leads to a factual analysis of the term "white flight", the definition of it, and that leads us to the term "systemic racism", which was hugely the cause for segregation and whites desire not to live near people of color in the first place.

That is how this discussion is where it is on this post right now.

Now as far as the evils white men do, if you are a white man, just an ordinary white man, who isn't part of the power structure that has dominated the US for years, you have no reason to feel defensive as if every indescretion of male white society is being blamed on you. It isn't. But if YOU choose to defend the arrogant and discriminatory practices of the white male power structure in the US, instead of condemn white men of power who promoted and continue to promote racism and unequal treatment, then you are evil too. You as a white man COULD denounce those racist individuals and hang your head high that you are not like them. There are white men out there who will be quick to say they are racially liberal, believe in the need for civil rights for all, and hate racist white men. I know many white men like this. You could be like this too Guitarmaan. So could kttam186290. So why aren't you?

In other words, if you hate white men who have racist tendencies, you wouldn't have any reason to argue with most of us posting here who have disdain for white racist men. You would side with us and agree that the problem needs fixing. If you feel defensive towards our allegations of racism, then you must have racist feelings yourself ,and not dislike white men who stir up racial animous. You see, we are not saying all white people are racist, because they are not. But to solve the problem, we all have to agree that it exists, and is the cause for much of our poverty and social ills today.
Great stuff. You summed it up well. I was just thinking, especially in California, there are so many whites who have no problem admitting and standing against the things we've discussed on this forum and not only that but when I'm in their company and I'm speaking about these issues they never feel like I'm specifically talking to them. They, in fact, join and add to the discussion. Not only that, they email people, facebook message or status things like this all the time. These are the William Lloyd Garrisons of America. But then you have people like the aforementioned who quickly get upset and want to flip the situation as if the social construction of "whiteness" has not only benefited those that are white (or now accepted as white) but that it doesn't exist.

I'm not saying all whites are like this and I'm not walking around judging whites individually. But silence or indifference speaks volumes, as does cries of "reverse racism". Until more people stand up and admit the ills of society and quit trying to tell people of color what they need to do, how they need to do it and etc. when we've been told that from the get-go a la slavery, Jim crow and all the other facets of institutionalized racism this issue will NEVER go away. As far as the origin of the post goes, the reason why a lot of us are upset is because whiteness (fueled by hatred and greed) has been the catalyst for the ills in the plights of people of color in America, starting with the Native American to the African American and now the Latino. Therefore a thread asking about why no whites are around raises an eyebrow and even more so if it's followed by comments that make it seem as if it's a travesty or wrong...especially after all this time in US history we've been taught directly and now indirectly that white is right.

Last edited by taydigga; 08-27-2013 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: finish thought

Old 08-27-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I love the sweeping generalizations. By that account, all people of color (black) are welfare sucking layabouts who commit most of the crime.

See? Two can play that game.
"See what I did there?" Most overused quote on the internet today btw, whether it's literally or just sentiments. It's as if people think they trapped someone with an Ace in the hole or something. I never said all white people, I said "you guys" and I was replying specifically to someone on this board and the mindset that they revealed in their generalization, the "you guys" goes for those that look AND think like that although I have friends that are white and they say "we" all the time when referring to the misdeeds (putting it lightly) of some white men. Conversely I say, "we" when I'm referring to blacks in general who are not doing what they need to be doing. But that's the problem in all of us isn't it, us vs them?

Let's go with your logic and say that all blacks are "welfare sucking layabouts". Ok, so why? Is it inherent or is it the fruits of unfair system? If it's inherent (in your mind) then you have a bigger issue that I can't address as it's irrational to argue with irrational thinking. But if it's the latter then who created and runs that system? For how long and what would be the social, economical and psychological effects of it? How did ghettos form? In juxtaposition, how did suburbs form and why? So even if I go with your logic, excluding all emotional intelligence then sure, I'm a welfare sucking layabout and I'll receive 7x the punishment for my folly for doing so as I am responsible for the work or idleness of my hands with no one to blame for the decisions I've made but myself. However, the powers that be...oh Woe to them my friend woe to them as the system is their construction. The continual fighting and denial of the system's repercussions and effects has built up more judgment and wrath than a lazy, wicked thief can ever imagine.

See? Two can't play that game and do you know why? Because that requires a fair environment for it to be played. Instead of choosing to find a fault in my delivery look at the sentiment in what I said and uphold or contend against that. See that I wasn't dishonest or lying, I understand why you chose the former...it's all you really had. Next time I'll be a little more specific as I can see how what I said can come about as a generalization. Forgive me.

p.s. I like you Fontucky (your post are usually spot on) so I kept this as clean and objective as possible. Please go easy on me .

Old 08-27-2013, 05:43 PM

517 posts, read 1,704,676 times
So why not have a party and celebrate all those whites leaving. Surely this means fairer opportunity for all? They leave behind a great city with a lot of history that draws tourists from all over the world. There's money to be made in LA for sure.

It's basically an opportunity.

So are you going to take that opportunity and make a better life for yourself, or just throw stones at the whites who leave? It just seems so crazy to me

Old 08-27-2013, 06:10 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaan View Post
So why not have a party and celebrate all those whites leaving. Surely this means fairer opportunity for all? They leave behind a great city with a lot of history that draws tourists from all over the world. There's money to be made in LA for sure.

It's basically an opportunity.

So are you going to take that opportunity and make a better life for yourself, or just throw stones at the whites who leave? It just seems so crazy to me
No one is upset at whites who leave for monetary reasons. There are blacks, latinos, and asians who have left for the same reasons as well

We are upset when some white people fail to acknowledge that just as many whites left because they don't want to live in a place where whites are not the dominant race. If you are not one of these whites, and you just came to the Phoenix area because real estate is affordable, no one here sees you as a bad guy. Then we're cool.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaan View Post
Look I've been around the block and I don't see the use in hating anyone. White racists, black racists... whoever. It's about having a positive attitude and asking what you can do with your life, because it's within your power. Do that instead of dwelling on others.

And I appreciate a well written long post, but it's not for you to tell me how to think or feel. And saying if I don't see it one way then I am evil..... well that really shows you in a bad light. Life isn't about extremes of belief or anything else. There are inbetweens, different views, and many many different people in different situations.
So centuries of injustice that have led to the issues we see today in this country and you think we should just "have a positive attitude" and "ask what YOU can do with YOUR life"? Look, no one isn't saying we don't need to individually take responsibility because we do. I know a lot of people that are but that's only the first step. The second step is looking at injustice around you past and present and "asking what you can do" for the next man. If everyone goes around doing JUST for them then we are no different than the countries we keep interfering with because there's so much us vs them. When you just do "YOU" then you are only interested in YOU. When you are only interested in you, then you can't see the truth of what anybody else is saying because it doesn't affect you and therefore annoys you, guilts you out and/or disgust you. That is the problem we have in America today. Sweep the foundations of our history under a rug. Ignore the effects and tell everyone that's saying anything to take responsibility, pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and stop complaining. Again, not saying there isn't some personal responsibility to be had, because there's plenty of it but to ignore the architects that built the arena founded on the blood of imperialism and enslavement is an even greater sin if you will. It perpetuates the issues while hiding behind the mirage of this being a post-racial society and treating legitimate concerns by the oppressed as trivial.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:35 PM

106 posts, read 171,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
So centuries of injustice that have led to the issues we see today in this country and you think we should just "have a positive attitude" and "ask what YOU can do with YOUR life"? Look, no one isn't saying we don't need to individually take responsibility because we do. I know a lot of people that are but that's only the first step. The second step is looking at injustice around you past and present and "asking what you can do" for the next man. If everyone goes around doing JUST for them then we are no different than the countries we keep interfering with because there's so much us vs them. When you just do "YOU" then you are only interested in YOU. When you are only interested in you, then you can't see the truth of what anybody else is saying because it doesn't affect you and therefore annoys you, guilts you out and/or disgust you. That is the problem we have in America today. Sweep the foundations of our history under a rug. Ignore the effects and tell everyone that's saying anything to take responsibility, pull themselves up by their own bootstraps and stop complaining. Again, not saying there isn't some personal responsibility to be had, because there's plenty of it but to ignore the architects that built the arena founded on the blood of imperialism and enslavement is an even greater sin if you will. It perpetuates the issues while hiding behind the mirage of this being a post-racial society and treating legitimate concerns by the oppressed as trivial.
Look man, everyone here is smart enough to understand what you're saying:

Everyone must take personal responsibility for themselves, and do their best with the cards they've been dealt. It's up to you, despite what has happened in the past to rise above it and make progress.

AT THE SAME TIME...

You simply cannot ignore the institutional barriers that have been built over generations, that make it harder to make progress. When one set of people, for generation after generation has had a head-start in the accumulation of land, resources, education, businesses, wealth and ultimately power, you will develop financial and cultural advantages that aren't just automatically erased by simply "giving everyone equal rights." And when you continue to have ongoing systematic injustices in institutions like our Criminal Justice System, the disparities will continue to increase.

While EVERYONE agrees on the first paragraph, many people choose to ignore or deny the second. Nearly everyone has the mental capacity to understand the concept of the second paragraph. We can go back and forth on the magnitude of the effect, but those who refuse to acknowledge it altogether are simply willful deniers who you are wasting your time with.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:51 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Riverside County

Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,197,631 times
I'm not seeing a decrease in white people in LA, especially the Westside. Just saying. I'll throw in the Eastside and Downtown too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles