Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:17 PM

56 posts, read 179,677 times

Advertisements

Hi...I have an interview in the Glendale area. I currently live in Atlanta, where things are usually business casual. The Gelndale corporate web site mentions business causual as well as traditional business attire.

What do people wear to Information Technology position interviews?

Thanks for any tips
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 10:43 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
LA is much less formal than say NYC, but it's not like an interview for a lumberjack up in Montana. My dad usually wheres a dress shirt, dress pants, and a tie. I don't think you'll need a full or suit or sport coat. You can if you'd like, but LA is not nearly as formal as NYC.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:28 PM

Thanks, I appreciate your input.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
common rule of thumb dress on notch above what you are trying to get.
tone down the outfit. its an accessory not the main feature.
remember to put on your most important item, your smile.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:53 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
dressing for the job and dressing for the interview are not the same. i would never wear anything less formal than a business suit for an interview. you can wear business casual after you get the position, if that is what is appropriate in that environment.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:28 AM

Those are good reminders. Thanks everyone. Sometimes different cultures have different ideas about what is appropriate. A suit in the south is kind of laughable, especially in the summer. It shows that you haven't a clue or actually been in that type of position. Suits look stiff and formal, which is not how IT is. A jacket and slacks on the other hand is very appropriate for an interview. Polished is appropriate, but formal? Not so much

Old 11-15-2007, 08:28 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
You should ALWAYS wear a suit to an interview. If they are flying you in to LA from Atlanta to interview with them, regardless of the position, you should be wearing a full business suit.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:52 AM

92 posts, read 409,572 times
This is a terrific question! I was wondering the same thing. I am looking for work in the entertainment industry and was hoping to set up some interviews/look-sees when I am there. However, I have no idea how to dress! I always feel overdressed in interviews, but I guess that's a good thing.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:44 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaEscritora View Post
However, I have no idea how to dress! I always feel overdressed in interviews, but I guess that's a good thing.
A good rule of thumb is to ALWAYS dress professionally. For both men and women. I've seen women who went a bit overboard on sexiness because they thought that if they are interview with men, it would impress them. They ended up getting turned away.

Some helpful interviewing tips:

1. Of course, dress professionally (suit for men and women)
2. Remove piercings (no brow or tongue rings)
3. Be sure tatoos are covered
4. Have several copies of your resume
5. Do your research on the company (earnings, history, stock prices, etc.)
6. Interview your interviewer - get them to tell you what they are looking for first. They will then give you all the answers to the questions they will be asking you.

Didnt you guys learn this stuff from your college counselors?

Old 11-15-2007, 11:17 AM

87 posts, read 524,112 times
I was just on interviews in San Francisco the other week. At the pre interview social, I wore a full suit. Of the twenty or so other candidates there, only one other person was wearing a suit. But hey, I got the job. I think it's always better to overdress!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles