Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 11:40 PM

40 posts, read 445,238 times

Advertisements

I will moving to LA in August, and I will be living about one block West of USC. I know that the area is a gang territory. I was curious if I could be safe wearing gang colors like red and blue. By no means do I look like a ganster, but I have heard of innocent people getting harmed for wearing certain colors. I am of indian descent if that makes a difference.

In my mind it seems incredibly insane to think that one would have to stop wearing certain colors. It seems that the media and certain people tend to overexaggerate the rare times that innocent people are harmed in gang related murders and beating. But perhaps I am wrong about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 12:03 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
I just heard a story on the radio about some Staples Employees getting jumped by gang bangers while wearing their red Staples shirts so I guess it happens. Who knows how often though. But remember gangsters aren't exactly blessed with large amounts of intelligence or impulse control so be careful. Being Indian might put you in a tough spot. If you're very dark skinned, the Mexicans will think you're black and shoot you. If you're lighter, the blacks will think you're Mexican and shoot you. If you could pass for white, they'll all shoot you. Good luck and just like with wild animals, don't make eye contact with the locals or they'll see you as a threat.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:08 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,476 times
As long as you don't look like a gang member, wear whatever colors you want. 1 block to the west of USC isn't the greatest neighborhood but it's far from the worst. Use good judgment and get some city smarts and you'll do fine. I bet you look like a college kid.

I just took a 3 hour walk in this neighborhood to sniff out possible investments. Lots of gentrification around USC.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:03 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
I do know they started making the school children wear uniforms BECAUSE there had been a problem of mistaken identity...gang bangers thinking they were of a rival gang because of the colors they were wearing. That is young children!! Just something to keep in mind.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:53 PM

179 posts, read 921,416 times
i've heard of people getting jumped for wearing colors, but i've never had that problem.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:36 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I just heard a story on the radio about some Staples Employees getting jumped by gang bangers while wearing their red Staples shirts so I guess it happens. Who knows how often though. But remember gangsters aren't exactly blessed with large amounts of intelligence or impulse control so be careful. Being Indian might put you in a tough spot. If you're very dark skinned, the Mexicans will think you're black and shoot you. If you're lighter, the blacks will think you're Mexican and shoot you. If you could pass for white, they'll all shoot you. Good luck and just like with wild animals, don't make eye contact with the locals or they'll see you as a threat.
WOW!!! Don't scare the poor person off. Wear whatever you want. I am sure you dont dress in baggy thug style clothing, so a red scarf on an all black outfit is not going to get you shot. No need to go around fearing your own shadow.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:34 PM

97 posts, read 646,589 times
Smile Depends on area of town

I think it is sad but I did know a guy who had his brother get killed over a baseball cap.The guy was an african american from the south central area.He was also a very good football player who had Oregon and Alabama looking seriously at him for recruiting.He was shot by another gang dumb ### for wearing a braves hat.I Guess that certain team colors you do not wear in Inglewood/Compton area.I would be dead for sure being a Yankees fan.I better stay away from that part of town.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:40 PM

97 posts, read 646,589 times
I have the whole day off tomorrow and I am going down to Newport to play golf.I am going to wear my florida marlins jersey and I will let you know if I get capped.If you see a mid thirties white man on the news who got blasted you will know to take your sports stuff to the thrift shop at once.If you are not in a bad neighborhood I dont think you have to worry in all seriousness.Most people who run into trouble were somewhere they should not have been doing something that they had no business doing.Example a guy goes down to skid row to buy some heroin and gets his heroin and his ass kicked or shot to go with it.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:31 PM

18 posts, read 185,052 times
Please be careful. I say better safe than sorry. If there is at all a concern in your heart, don't wear the colors. We cannot control other's perceptions but we can be aware, which is not overreacting. My sister and her husband considered moving to LA but they are a multicultural family and feared for their three small boys who are quite fair and fall into the mistaken identity catagories described by Escape California. I like the idea of school uniforms. I feel so awful reading that children are now wearing them to prevent mistaken identity. I'm glad you wrote and good people responded to help. Good luck.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:44 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgefundpirate View Post
I Guess that certain team colors you do not wear in Inglewood/Compton area.I would be dead for sure being a Yankees fan.I better stay away from that part of town.
Hawthorne, Gardena, and portions of South Los Angeles lie between Inglewood and Compton, so that's a pretty large area to stay away from. For the most part, unless one looks like a young African American or Latino male, one can probably get away with wearing whatever colors they wish....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles