Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 04:53 PM

423 posts, read 414,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
SF has better Chinese than SGV?
I think so....and have lived many years in both spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 05:05 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Diamond View Post
I think so....and have lived many years in both spots.
I strongly disagree. I spend plenty of time in the Bay Area as well since my in laws live up there. SF has strong Cantonese cuisine, but the variety and quality that you get in SGV cannot be found up north. There are only handful of places that are SGV quality, like Koi Palace in Daly City.

I do think East Bay has better Indian and Pakistani food than LA.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb...geles-20130215

Old 10-15-2013, 05:10 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
NYC's range is greater. Also, everything that LA does well, San Francisco does better, except for hamburgers. L.A. is the best burger city on earth
Not even close. LA blows SF out of the water in just about everything. Especially chinese, mexican, middle eastern, burgers, other asian, vegetarian, street food. There really is no comparisson. As far as New York, both places have their strengths and weaknesses, I put them on the same level.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
I strongly disagree. I spend plenty of time in the Bay Area as well since my in laws live up there. SF has strong Cantonese cuisine, but the variety and quality that you get in SGV cannot be found up north. There are only handful of places that are SGV quality, like Koi Palace in Daly City.

I do think East Bay has better Indian and Pakistani food than LA.

Jonathan Gold's best Chinese restaurants in L.A., by regional cuisine - Los Angeles Times
Nothing in the east bay can touch Alwatan Halal in LA, which is both indian and pakistani. It's no contest. LA is just a superior food city to SF in every way, shape, and form.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:15 PM

108 posts, read 185,172 times
Actually, not to throw reality on your illusions here, but it's been proven that VANCOUVER has the best Chinese food outside of China.

When the British handed back Hong Kong to China over a decade ago, many of the best chefs packed up and moved to Vancouver.

I Love LA!

Old 10-15-2013, 05:28 PM

Never said the LA area had the best in the world outside of China/Hong Kong, but it certainly is the best or one of the best in country, and certainly by far the best in the state

Old 10-15-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LA View Post
Actually, not to throw reality on your illusions here, but it's been proven that VANCOUVER has the best Chinese food outside of China.

When the British handed back Hong Kong to China over a decade ago, many of the best chefs packed up and moved to Vancouver.

I Love LA!
Proven by whom? Vancouver has a very strong dining scene, especially Chinese, but it is not the undisputed winner here. The influx of Chinese immigrants to LA has certainly narrowed that gap.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Nothing in the east bay can touch Alwatan Halal in LA, which is both indian and pakistani. It's no contest. LA is just a superior food city to SF in every way, shape, and form.
Al Watan, Al Noor and India's Tandoori in Hawthorne are wonderful restaurants. There are many restaurants of similar quality around Berkeley, Hayward, etc...IMO

Old 10-15-2013, 06:25 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
NYC's range is greater. Also, everything that LA does well, San Francisco does better, except for hamburgers. L.A. is the best burger city on earth
Again a matter of opinion. What is "better"? How is NYC's range "greater"? NYC may have more places with Michelin stars, but that's about it. SF is "better" because you think it is, and surely plenty of others agree with you, but a lot of others will disagree and say LA is "better" and has far more options. Being that LA is a much bigger city, it will have much more options.
LA is the best burger city on earth? Is it? Says who? You? And who made you the authority for everything related to food?

Let's look at facts and not opinions. Someone should count the number of different offerings in LA and compare it to NYC.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:38 PM

108 posts, read 185,172 times
Quote:
Proven by whom? Vancouver has a very strong dining scene, especially Chinese, but it is not the undisputed winner here. The influx of Chinese immigrants to LA has certainly narrowed that gap.
It's a FACT that Vancouver has the best Chinese food scene outside of China. FACT. Not fiction. Learn the rules. Behave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles