Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 04:23 PM

281 posts, read 473,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Stupid premise though. Everyone, even Houstonians know LA is much much larger. Even people who dont live in either or are from New York, know LA is the second largest metropolis in the US. Uptown Houston is not big, its barely century city, but with one very tall building.
Did you look at the video, and all the different comments people left? There's some truth to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 04:30 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
Did you look at the video, and all the different comments people left? There's some truth to it.
Like what? There really is no way I can see Houston can seem / feel / actually be larger than Los Angeles.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:32 PM

211 posts, read 529,315 times
Which LA are they talking about?

Old 10-29-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Like what? There really is no way I can see Houston can seem / feel / actually be larger than Los Angeles.
Of course not because you've seen LA with your own eyes, I was mainly pointing out that perhaps LA's perception to those that have not visited is that of a large city, but not the mega city that it really is; however that becomes apparent once you visit the city.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:46 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Of course not because you've seen LA with your own eyes, I was mainly pointing out that perhaps LA's perception to those that have not visited is that of a large city, but not the mega city that it really is; however that becomes apparent once you vise it the city.
How can you quantify that perceptions of the people least knowledgeable of the comparative size of Los Angeles. More importantly, WHY?

Old 10-29-2013, 05:52 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
How can you quantify that perceptions of the people least knowledgeable of the comparative size of Los Angeles. More importantly, WHY?
Seriously!

Old 10-29-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Because I'm starting to think that in popular culture especially the young and untravelled have no idea about the size of LA, I'm assuming there are many out there who still think Chicago is the second largest, and some even Houston.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:06 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reno cowboy View Post
Population wise, it wouldn't surprise me if Houston city passes up LA city within the next 25 - 30 years. Houston is growing by leaps and bounds and no zoning and plenty of room to grow and expand to the North, West, and East. I look for Houston city to pass Chicago city by 2030-2035 and the metro area pass Chicagoland metro shortly after that.
Really? Is that post Mexican invasion?

Old 10-29-2013, 06:44 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Because I'm starting to think that in popular culture especially the young and untravelled have no idea about the size of LA, I'm assuming there are many out there who still think Chicago is the second largest, and some even Houston.
And 20% of Americans think the Sun revolves around the Earth. Ignorance surrounds us.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:33 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
As a 17-year Houstonian resident and now a SoCal resident, I can say that LA is much much larger and way more crowded than Houston will ever be.

The city of Houston does have the potential to be larger in population than the city of Los Angeles. Harris County has well over 1 million people living in un-annexed territory. Houston has the right to annex it at any time and may well do so. The actual city limits of Houston don't allow for much more growth without annexation or greater urbanization. Houston only eats areas it thinks can add to its tax base. It used to just annex for the sake of annexation. It does have small fingers of annexed land that allow it to tax residents living in its ETJ (extra-territorial jurisdiction) without making them residents and providing services.

But the urbanized area of greater Houston is about half the size of "Metro LA." Still, there are no mountains standing in its way and Houston ever marches outward and builds more loops like the growing 190 mile long grand parkway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles