Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 01:28 PM

195 posts, read 347,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Care to explain?
I can't really say but the area that I went to in Pasadena was pretty clean and clear of litter. There wasn't nothing outrageous going on as I am use to in L.A. Nobody hanging around outside on corners or liquor stores. Kind of felt like you had to be a bit more cautious about bringing attention to yourself or looking suspicious. Seems like the police and people working there were little more concerned about the area.

Last edited by 54h4j645jj35; 11-20-2013 at 01:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 01:42 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54h4j645jj35 View Post
I can't really say but the area that I went to in Pasadena was pretty clean and clear of litter. There wasn't nothing outrageous going on as I am use to in L.A. Nobody hanging around outside on corners or liquor stores. Seems like the police and people working there were more concerned about the area.
Not sure that makes a place less "liberal".

Old 11-20-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Not sure that makes a place less "liberal".
It seems like most if not all conservative places are kept clean and look really nice. I haven't been to one that is not.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:29 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,148 times
There's some A+ logic right there.

All places that are clean are conservative.
Pasadena is clean. Therefore it is conservative.

I'll let you figure out which of your premises is wrong.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
There's some A+ logic right there.

All places that are clean are conservative.
Pasadena is clean. Therefore it is conservative.

I'll let you figure out which of your premises is wrong.
Forgot to say that they look very nice or aesthetically pleasing.
Pasadena really doesn't feel or look like L.A. and other cities in the county.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah I won't argue with that - the area is quite clean though once you head north of 210 its a little more like typical LA neighborhoods... I just don't think your logic makes much sense, there are plenty of very nice looking liberal neighborhoods, maybe not in Los Angeles but in the United States certainly.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:37 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,148 times
Quote:
You should go visit San Marino. If you think Pasadena is very nice/ aesthetically pleasing that will just blow your mind.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
You should go visit San Marino. If you think Pasadena is very nice/ aesthetically pleasing that will just blow your mind.
Drove through there last night actually on the way to Alhambra - some of the homes there are mind-blowing to say the least.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:39 PM

113 posts, read 196,135 times
I think that's it though, liberal vs. conservative is pretty subjective. Just because an area has more Democratic voters doesn't necessarily make it liberal or vice versa. It really depends on each person's opinion. What's conservative to me is probably going to be different than what's conservative to someone else.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:20 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,001,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Old money.

Although there is a pattern like this in many metro areas across the country. There are some suburban with deep, rich traditions, historic charm, that were originally WASPY old money, but because they were so attractive, with a lot of culture, they slowly attracted educated, liberal people and became more cool and hip, yet still grounded in tradition.

In Chicagoland, Oak Park and Evanston are a little like this, as they were WASPY old money, in fact temperance/teetotalling movement starting in these towns (Ernest Hemingway called Oak Park in the early 20th century wide lawns and narrow minds) fast forward to today, the same historic charm, in addition to willful racial integration, has brought in a trendy element in its commercial districts, access to public transit to other areas has brought in singles, etc. but there still is heritage.

Of course the difference is is that Pasadena has way more to do than Oak Park and Evanston.

Personally I love Pasadena for this blend and balance. I love having old houses, old commercial buildings from early 20th century, (The city hall), the colleges there to add an educated element, awesome museums like the Huntington, etc. yet a downtown district with bars, clubs, restaurants hopping with 20-30 somethings including cute women of all skin colors, etc. and wilderness minutes away. Its that blend of nature, culture both old and new is what I love.
That is a definite plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles