Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:48 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Uh, I think desalinization is more likely and more plausible.
Given the NIMBY-infested coastal communities in CA, where on earth would they put one!!! Certainly not off the coast of Malibu, Santa Monica, Orange County, Monterrey, Santa Barbara! Where? Off the coast of Camp Pendleton, yup, that's an idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 10:03 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
What about the flushless urinals? I am seeing these more and more. I work in a government building where they switched them all out for these. Within a year we had to switch back to regular flushing ones because of too many issues (it was venting sewer gas back into the building). They tried every accommodation with the flushless urinals and couldn't make it work.

Still, as a high trafficked area I'm sure we were saving major water for awhile there.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:30 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
I was impressed in Vegas about the many homes and buildings with zero grass. Just desert landscaping. Don't know if its the high price of water or just a fashion statement. I hate lawns. Trees, bushes, even cacti make more sense to me. Personally, I doubt total elimination of lawns would solve the problem. I've watched manufacturing a lot on TV. Water is used in unimaginable quantities. For all sorts of reasons. Manufacturing is engineered on the basis of unlimited water supply.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:41 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
The water department pays homeowners for putting in desert landscaping in Las Vegas. It's an incentive to do away with grass. I live in a townhouse complex where we're stubbornly keeping the grass, which I love! Yes, our water bill is $100k a year for our complex, but we're willing to pay it to keep it more green around here.

And, what's the point in doing away with grass! That just allows more unneeded houses to be built here, in a city where there's 60,000 homes sitting vacant!

Old 02-14-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The water department pays homeowners for putting in desert landscaping in Las Vegas. It's an incentive to do away with grass. I live in a townhouse complex where we're stubbornly keeping the grass, which I love! Yes, our water bill is $100k a year for our complex, but we're willing to pay it to keep it more green around here.

And, what's the point in doing away with grass! That just allows more unneeded houses to be built here, in a city where there's 60,000 homes sitting vacant!
No it allows open space without water-greedy ornamental plants that have to be mowed (carbon emissions)

Old 02-14-2014, 01:53 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
What about the flushless urinals? I am seeing these more and more. I work in a government building where they switched them all out for these. Within a year we had to switch back to regular flushing ones because of too many issues (it was venting sewer gas back into the building). They tried every accommodation with the flushless urinals and couldn't make it work.

Still, as a high trafficked area I'm sure we were saving major water for awhile there.
The flushless urinals are gross!! They make some that use very little water though. Those are the kind that should be mandatory in ALL public facilities and businesses. I looked at my roommate's Los Angeles DWP water bill recently and was SHOCKED to see how low the bill was despite the fact that it seems that she's ALWAYS watering her water-hungry plants EVERY day. Maybe higher water bills would be a good idea for Los Angeles residents?

Old 02-14-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The flushless urinals are gross!! They make some that use very little water though. Those are the kind that should be mandatory in ALL public facilities and businesses. I looked at my roommate's Los Angeles DWP water bill recently and was SHOCKED to see how low the bill was despite the fact that it seems that she's ALWAYS watering her water-hungry plants EVERY day. Maybe higher water bills would be a good idea for Los Angeles residents?
Seems like airplane rest rooms are very water conserving. Maybe government should emulate them.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:06 PM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Did people catch this article in TIME? California Drought: Los Angeles Is Surviving | TIME.com

Pretty interesting. We have enough water to last a year and a half, even if it never rains....!!!!!!
Interesting article. Really goes against the general rhetoric, that Southern California "steals" water from everywhere and uses it wastefully on lawns, etc.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:25 PM

I don't know that "lawns" are the main bad guy. Just watch a few TV shows about food processing in California. You could water THOUSANDS of lawns with the water used in one day in food processing plants.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:04 PM

401 posts, read 767,712 times
We've installed primarily drought tolerant plants, but we still have a lawn for the kids to play.
It's all about balance. I don't think we should forego living our lives ... just don't be unnecessarily wasteful ... and economize where possible.
Like I said before, I'm keeping my lawn and my pool. Maybe the city planners shouldn't be so hell bent on cramming tons of new water consuming residents in an area with such tight resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles