Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 05:07 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times

Advertisements

Much maligned MLS team Chivas USA was just sold to the MLS. The MLS would like to sell the team to an owner who would re-brand and build a stadium in the City of Los Angeles. There are rumors of USC tearing down the Sports Arena and putting a capacity 20,000 seat stadium on top of it. MLS says they have already been contacted by several very wealthy individuals who could take ownership. If NYCFC or Orlando City is any indication, they will probably get an Oil sheikh or Multi-Media corporation owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 05:51 PM

255 posts, read 402,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Much maligned MLS team Chivas USA was just sold to the MLS. The MLS would like to sell the team to an owner who would re-brand and build a stadium in the City of Los Angeles. There are rumors of USC tearing down the Sports Arena and putting a capacity 20,000 seat stadium on top of it. MLS says they have already been contacted by several very wealthy individuals who could take ownership. If NYCFC or Orlando City is any indication, they will probably get an Oil sheikh or Multi-Media corporation owner.
I would support a DTLA soccer club. Going to Carson for a game is just too far for me. But I could hop on the metro and be at a DTLA stadium in 10 min.

I think soccer is a sport where you need the local community to get involved if you want to be successful. What I mean by that is you need a lot of walk-up support. That would always be a challenge for Chivas(or whatever they name the new club) if they remained in LA Galaxy's shadow in Carson.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:56 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Lets hope they relocate the franchise to another city. Places like Phoenix, San Diego, and Baltimore would be great choices to consider. At the very least they should build a stadium in Orange County or the Inland Empire.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Lets hope they relocate the franchise to another city. Places like Phoenix, San Diego, and Baltimore would be great choices to consider.
Heck no. If I'm ownership I'm staying in LA. A DTLA stadium is a gold mine.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:18 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
MLS says they have already been contacted by several very wealthy individuals who could take ownership.
If that were true, why wouldn't Vergara have sold it to one of those wealthy individuals rather than to the MLS?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
If that were true, why wouldn't Vergara have sold it to one of those wealthy individuals rather than to the MLS?
I think MLS has a 51% ownership of all teams in the league. So, they just took control of the team and I'm guessing Vergara will get 49% of any sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles