Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:18 PM

10 posts, read 13,407 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your input, it is appreciated. We probably will rent for six months so we can get a feel for commutes, or areas we like. We do like the idea of living close to the office, but we also want to be close enough to the beach, and other things to do in and around LA. It would be good to find a good compromise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 09:18 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
Houstonians love the valley, ventura, and santa clarita! It's odd. I too am drawn to up there. I moved to Long Beach when I got here and now I'm correcting it over the summer. Santa Clarita is Sugar Land with mountains and less diversity! With your budget, go for what you want. The west valley gets hot, not Houston hot, but cmon, you're moving to LA. get some LA weather! If you want hills and better weather, check out north glendale or Pasadena. The 210 commute up to Santa Clarita is ABSOLUTELY beautiful! So beyond imaginably beautiful!

Old 04-04-2014, 09:21 PM

96 posts, read 170,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Houstonians love the valley, ventura, and santa clarita! It's odd. I too am drawn to up there. I moved to Long Beach when I got here and now I'm correcting it over the summer. Santa Clarita is Sugar Land with mountains and less diversity! With your budget, go for what you want. The west valley gets hot, not Houston hot, but cmon, you're moving to LA. get some LA weather! If you want hills and better weather, check out north glendale or Pasadena. The 210 commute up to Santa Clarita is ABSOLUTELY beautiful! So beyond imaginably beautiful!
Good point. Much better than commuting from the valley. Also less traffic.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:48 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
We have coworkers that live in the Valencia area but work in Ventura. You could do the reverse and live in Ventura while working in Santa Clarita. That way you could have the beach. I don't know if I would want the commute though.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:58 PM

Default Come on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We have coworkers that live in the Valencia area but work in Ventura. You could do the reverse and live in Ventura while working in Santa Clarita. That way you could have the beach. I don't know if I would want the commute though.
Let me have it... how bad is it on a "normal" day, and how bad, let's say an accident, or drop of rain?

Old 04-07-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU2LAX View Post
Let me have it... how bad is it on a "normal" day, and how bad, let's say an accident, or drop of rain?
A normal day is 65 mph all day long. You could go faster but the CHP seems to like to watch the 126. About the only place you will slow down is when it goes thru Fillmore or at the Eastern edge of Santa Paula where they have a trafic light. A major wreck can stop you though. In the past that was more of a problem. The 126 has been a 4 lane highway for a long time now, most of it devided.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:29 PM

10 posts, read 10,556 times
You really may want to think about your lifestyle with family time vs your time spent spent in a car traveling back and forth every day. If your office will be in Santa Clarita, it really may be a good idea to either buy in Santa Clarita/Valencia or do a shorter 6 month rental in another area that you're thinking about moving to and seeing how the daily commute pans out. Cients of mine who have bought more than once tend to want to live near their workplace if at all possible. After years of dealing with traffic here, you'll probably find locational proximity from home to work will become a primary consideration when buying. Congrats on moving to Los Angeles!

Old 04-07-2014, 09:41 PM

374 posts, read 721,844 times
"finding your wife a job in the company"

wat

Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 PM

Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
"finding your wife a job in the company"

wat
Yes, my company does that for employees they are asking to relocate. She's already been offered a position.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:17 PM

If i were going to work in the Santa Clarita area I would want to live near there. Plenty of newer housing stock in the area. Many master planned communities. Homes that will be less money than on the coast for the same home. Personally you would have a more rewarding life living close to work. I would not want to give up my 15 minute drive to work, that is unless I could have a 5 minute drive to work. Living on the coast is nice and I even go to the beach often. The sad fact is that most people that live on the coast seldom go to the beach. You would need to ask yourself if your plan to live near the ocean includes going to see it. If not then save your money and your time and visit on long weekends staying at the nicest hotels in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles