Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,964 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I need some help looking for a place to live as I will be moving down to work in Torrance pretty soon. I'm a 23-year old chill guy from Seattle. I'm really active and am into rock climbing, biking, skiing (will be difficult haha), surfing, etc. Obviously I'm not looking to live in quiet suburbia but don't need a rage party scene either.

The HR person recommended a couple of areas, so I was wondering on what you guys think. She mentioned Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach (which I thought was pretty spendy, maybe not), or Belmont Shores. Of course there's Torrance, but she didn't recommend it. I can afford something up to 1,300 a month. Obviously I want to be as frugal as possible, but that's about my budget...not sure if that limits me a lot or not.

If you guys could give me some advice as to where to hone my search that would be awesome! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 09:31 PM

21 posts, read 40,896 times
Honestly, Torrance is pretty nice. You could go for one of the beach cities if you like hunting for parking and paying a couple hundred extra, but Torrance has everything I'm looking for. 1300 a month will get you a decent one bedroom in Torrance or Belmont Shores if you look around a bit, Redondo would probably be a bit more.

Also, skiing isn't as far away as you might imagine, that's the nice thing about California. Just about anything you could want landscape or climate wise is just a couple of hours driving away...

Old 05-13-2014, 11:30 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times
Torrance is suburbia. It's boring. I would recommend Belmont Shore or even downtown Long Beach. I have no idea what rental prices are in downtown Long Beach though. Redondo is the best priced of the three beach cities (Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan), but be sure to find something in South Redondo. North Redondo is suburban and not as nice.

Are you definitely trying to find your own place or a room in a shared apartment? 1300 will get you more for your money in Long Beach, but be sure to stay as close to the ocean as possible. Farther inland you go (except a few pockets) the dicier it gets. But Belmont Shore, Belmont Heights, and downtown Long Beach get my vote.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:53 AM

392 posts, read 1,859,332 times
Why would you want to commute from Belmont Shore or even LB?
If you live in RB, HB or Torrance you could potentially bicycle to work, to the beach and up to PV on weekends.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:03 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,633,438 times
Long beach and particularly Belmont Shores is a bit of a morning haul from Torrance.

While Torrance is suburbia, there's all the amenities you need and the beach cities are a 5-15 minute drive depending on where you live in Torrance.

Anyway, Torrance and Redondo Beach are within your price range.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Are you definitely trying to find your own place or a room in a shared apartment?
I'm probably looking for a shared apartment since I don't know anyone and that could be a relatively quick way to meet new people (given that I like the roommate(s)). Awesome input everyone, thanks!

Old 05-14-2014, 06:12 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,356,034 times
Well if you're okay with roommates look in Redondo Beach then It's more fun than Torrance and younger, but not as expensive or party-oriented as Hermosa. Manhattan Beach is out of almost everyone's price range.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:34 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,802,921 times
Torrance is large, and depending how far you are from the freeway will have a big impact on your commute times. Long Beach to Torrance 405/710 to 405/Western is 10 minutes with no traffic. You'd be going with traffic in both direction really sucking.

Torrance is typically pricer for the single family homes and reputation of schools. If you work in north Torrance you can consider North Torrance and Gardena, south, there is Lomita. RB is also a very large area with business mainly along Artesia and PCH and the Village in South Redondo.
Hermoa beach is very small area, parking is limited. Driving into Torrance is surprising slow due to stop signs.

Skiing to the local mountain Mountain High is bout 1.5 hours away , Big Bear is over 2, Mammoth is about 5.5. A lot of people in the Torrance/Southbay area frequent Mammoth and there are bus trips where you can share a condo with about 6 people.

Road biking around the beach cities is big thing 30-60 mile rides around Palos Verdes is common and you'll see groups of over 20 people. There are off trails there too. Traveling for MTB to other areas is a breeze on weekend.

There was a rock climbing gym on Rosecrans near the 405 and Rosecrans and REI also on Rosecrans would be a good resource. People boulder more in the norther beach area.

You could also drive 5 hour to city of Bishop for more climbing or Yosemite if you are really serious.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:37 AM
ka8

50 posts, read 94,830 times
I work in Torrance. God I hate this place. Too crowded. Traffic is almost as bad as west LA during rush hour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles