Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:03 PM

100 posts, read 307,740 times

Advertisements

i've never been to california, but from reading some of these threads on here you would think some parts of LA are third-world war zones. i suppose there's a lot of gang activity, but i'm wondering how exaggerated it is? for example, compton, i go check out home prices and i'm seeing $500k, maybe $300k min. up to a million+. i see rents for $2-3k. i know california is $, but this is supposed to be the ghetto? in philadelphia for example, you can pay over a million for a condo downtown, but then a few blocks away you can pick up a decent rowhouse for $75,000...because it's in the hood. now sure, it would sell for 10x that the next day if the area was cleaned up because of the prime location, but this is the ghetto and no one with that kind of money would even think to live in the hood. so what's really the situation in compton, etc? i mean how are all these 'gangsters' living in 1/2 million $ houses? i don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 10:18 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,641,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coronadeluxe View Post
i've never been to california, but from reading some of these threads on here you would think some parts of LA are third-world war zones. i suppose there's a lot of gang activity, but i'm wondering how exaggerated it is? for example, compton, i go check out home prices and i'm seeing $500k, maybe $300k min. up to a million+. i see rents for $2-3k. i know california is $, but this is supposed to be the ghetto? in philadelphia for example, you can pay over a million for a condo downtown, but then a few blocks away you can pick up a decent rowhouse for $75,000...because it's in the hood. now sure, it would sell for 10x that the next day if the area was cleaned up because of the prime location, but this is the ghetto and no one with that kind of money would even think to live in the hood. so what's really the situation in compton, etc? i mean how are all these 'gangsters' living in 1/2 million $ houses? i don't get it.
it's called equity and the (now obviously) false promise of greater equity in the future. a lot of the houses that are now (or recently were) a half million in the ghetto were purchased for $30K thirty years ago. of course, the smart homeowners got out when they could ask $350K, and actually find buyers. the rest are probably still in denial.

that being said, this isn't philadelphia, and property in the worst neighborhoods here will ALWAYS cost more than south or west philly, no matter what! there's value in a southern CA address, and this is the only place to buy one.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:16 AM

i guess my question is how bad are these areas really? and if they are that bad, how is it that average thug is able to afford to live in a 1/2 million $ house?

Old 12-16-2007, 12:00 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times
Quote:
i guess my question is how bad are these areas really? and if they are that bad, how is it that average thug is able to afford to live in a 1/2 million $ house?
Like katenik said, a lot of those houses haven't changed hands in years so most people didn't pay $500k. Also, those areas are being taken over by illegals living several families to a house. Six people making $20k/yr each + stated income no SSN loan + renting out the garage for $500/mo = buying $500k house in Compton.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:28 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,641,192 times
Quote:
what makes you think that only thugs live in compton?

Old 12-16-2007, 01:42 PM

119 posts, read 716,860 times
gangbanging can be quite lucrative, you know, look at the rap videos for proof.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:11 PM

129 posts, read 663,254 times
Supposedly this is how you make money in Compton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x2-AmY8FI8

All for a mortgage :P

Old 12-16-2007, 02:47 PM

636 posts, read 2,645,325 times
Quote:
'Gangsters' don't own squat! Hardworking lower mid income people own the homes. Gangsters just go around claiming streets where they don't even pay rent.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:54 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,433,153 times
Quote:
$500,000 homes in the ghetto?
That's crazy.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
what makes you think that only thugs live in compton?
the fact that i read posts on here advising people to not even drive through, let alone walk around compton. i have no idea, i'm from the east coast, never been to california, that's why i'm asking. i just thought it was strange that you could have neighborhoods that are so expensive that people consider so dangerous. you won't find that over here, the hood is cheap. thanks for the answers. it looks like anyone that bought a house in LA 20-30 years ago has it made if they decide to sell and move (out of the state).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles