Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 09:47 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Also traditionally black areas like northwest and north Pasadena are gentrifying as well. I wouldn't say black neighborhoods are any more outsider-hostile than Hispanic ones.
They certainly are not. Do they rush to greet visitors with welcoming apple pies or mug them and chase them away? Of course not. But if you prefer to believe plenty of negative stereotypes about people who are different, then you might as well get used to the handicap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 09:16 AM

555 posts, read 804,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismaelsanchez View Post
Not far from the bustle of downtown there sits a quaint hilly neighborhood known as El Sereno. This charming community sits amid giants of neighborhoods and cities-Pasadena, South Pasadena, San Marino, Highland Park and Hill Side Village. To the passerby one can say it is a mixture of the old and new, of many store fronts seeking the business of those who take the main corridor to Los Angeles, of diversity and richness in color and architecture. Importantly, in its early history it was mainly populated by Italian and Jewish patrons and later transitioned to Hispanics. Unfortunately, in the eighties and nineties it had a serious gang problem which gave it a negative reputation in the eyes of many. Fortunately, in the past five years the neighborhood El Sereno has seen a change in the way it perceives itself and how it fits in the tapestry of surrounding neighborhoods like Echo Park, Highland Park and Lincoln Heights. El Sereno has many things going for it-Namely the community is taking action in beautifying itself, it is seeking credit for its importance as a main transportation vein to Downtown, and it is taking action to becoming the next best community. Ultimately, El Sereno is home to many hardworking people who share values of mainstream neighborhoods-safety, comfort, and neighborly love. El Sereno is the next best community not because it is there for the taking but rather for what it has always been-a fantastic all American Neighborhood.
I'm not sure where this is coming from; I could be wrong, but it reminds me of a real estate person trying to drum up business for Echo Park/Highland Park "adjacent" areas. As I said, I could be wrong.

I would not say El Sereno is a neighborhood in "transition" if by transition, you mean gentrification. El Sereno is somewhat near the "hip" neighborhoods of Echo Park and Highland Park, but it's also somewhat cut off. Also, I would not group Lincoln Heights with Echo Park and Highland Park, even if it is nearby; Lincoln Heights is a whole different ball game, to put it mildly.

El Sereno has some cool things going on -- there is a cool coffee shop called Holy Grounds that hosts a lot of neighborhood events. Nice place. It has a nice new mini park down the street from there that's kid-friendly. El Sereno has a suburban feel in terms of layout. It definitely is home to many hardworking, normal folks. But it also has its share of crime as well that stems from its gang affiliations.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:49 PM

26 posts, read 27,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismaelsanchez View Post
Not far from the bustle of downtown there sits a quaint hilly neighborhood known as El Sereno. This charming community sits amid giants of neighborhoods and cities-Pasadena, South Pasadena, San Marino, Highland Park and Hill Side Village. To the passerby one can say it is a mixture of the old and new, of many store fronts seeking the business of those who take the main corridor to Los Angeles, of diversity and richness in color and architecture. Importantly, in its early history it was mainly populated by Italian and Jewish patrons and later transitioned to Hispanics. Unfortunately, in the eighties and nineties it had a serious gang problem which gave it a negative reputation in the eyes of many. Fortunately, in the past five years the neighborhood El Sereno has seen a change in the way it perceives itself and how it fits in the tapestry of surrounding neighborhoods like Echo Park, Highland Park and Lincoln Heights. El Sereno has many things going for it-Namely the community is taking action in beautifying itself, it is seeking credit for its importance as a main transportation vein to Downtown, and it is taking action to becoming the next best community. Ultimately, El Sereno is home to many hardworking people who share values of mainstream neighborhoods-safety, comfort, and neighborly love. El Sereno is the next best community not because it is there for the taking but rather for what it has always been-a fantastic all American Neighborhood.
Your kidding right? I used to live in El Sereno and still go visit my family who live in El Sereno, I feel safer here in the part of Mexico I live in than walking the streets of El Sereno.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:20 AM

108 posts, read 423,095 times
I grew up in Hillside Village in late 80s/early 90s, and then in El Sereno from mid to late 90s.

Whenever I've visited that part of town (El Sereno specifically) as an adult (I'm 30 btw), it's as much a crime ridden ghetto now as it ever was.

I still love my home though and get a crazy rush of nostalgia every time I think about it.

Here's an underground rap about El Sereno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLXFRxfA3Pc
And here's a facebook page that updates about el sereno events/news: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Our-T...o/355955005598

Old 07-19-2015, 05:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,379 times
Truth be told I Love my Town I grew up in Rose Hill Projects the best childhood ever christmas toys snow easter hunt 4square Camp Fire Plays The park after school club fashion express am pm Wilson Drill Team we got the Bell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles