Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 06:37 AM

61,749 posts, read 87,217,162 times

Advertisements

I will be going to LA in November. The company is paying for 5 days stay (Thur-Mon), but I will be busy only few hours each workday. This is my first visit to LA, and probably a last, and I want to see as much as I can.
I will have rental car, so reasonable distances are not a problem.
While it seems that I have many days for planning, I want to start making a list, coordinate routes, find out visiting hours if applicable, etc. I am determined to use my time there to the max - see the most interesting things, eat, drink and take lots of pictures
I would hate to discover later on, that I missed something I really should see. It happened in the past
I am OK with moving around by myself, and I don't mind visiting places that are less safe, as long they are worth it.
Interested in spots for good aerial pictures of LA, (skyscapers with public access, even multi-level parking garage with a great view will do). Places to see the mountains, the ocean, sunsets, interesting landscape, landmarks, historical buildings/neighborhoods etc....
Where to go to eat good food, or places famous for local specialty, location or architecture.
Please help me make my stay memorable.
Keep this thread going - I appreciate any input.
Thank you!!!

Last edited by elnina; 10-01-2014 at 07:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 07:33 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,994,564 times
First off, Where will you be staying.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:05 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,491,777 times
The Getty Center

Visit the Getty Center | The Getty

Old 10-01-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
First off, Where will you be staying.
I was told it will be on or very close to Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, but I will have a car, so it doesn't really matter.
Just got updated - it's Maison 140.

Thanks, quixotic59 - this just started my list

Last edited by elnina; 10-01-2014 at 10:48 AM..

Old 10-01-2014, 09:58 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,788,838 times
Edit! lol

The Standard in downtown for views..

Bona Vista Lounge also for views...it's a rotating bar atop a hotel.

Last edited by infinitekid; 10-01-2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old 10-01-2014, 10:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Elnina,

There are so many places and you would be surprised how fast the time will go: I was born and raised there, return periodically: here is the list of what I would try and see. I know others will have ideas I have not mentioned.

Food: China town or the San Gabriel Valley for sure; The other eatery I would not miss is Philippi's French dip place, just a few blocks from China Town and just as you are entering downtown Los Angeles. They were the original French dip sandwich shop.

Sights: while you are at Philippi's you might want to wander over to Olvera Street which is the original Mexican street in Los Angeles. It is a fun place, you can spend an hour or a 1/2 day there, but don't get your Mexican food there, it is touristy and not the best.

For the ocean experience and good picture taking drive to Santa Barbara or down to Laguana Beach. Mountain wise I would probably just head for Mt Wilson or Mt Baldy. You probably are not going to want to take the time to drive to Arrowhead or that far away.

Of course no trip to Los Angeles would be complete with out seeing the Hollywood sign and driving down Hollywood Blvd. You might also want to drive to Santa Monica beach as well. Just don't get all caught up in doing nothing but the touristy things. it is easy to do.

Time permitting I would visit the Huntington Library on the Pasadena/San Marino border. It is a wonderful place and great for picture taking. The gardens are something from a picture book. While you are in that area you might want to see The San Gabriel Mission. it is one of the 21 missions (I think that is right) Father Serra founded each one. If you don't see that one, try and see the one in Santa Barbara if you get up there.

Skyscraper wise, there are not many in the area due to earthquake codes, but there are a few that will give you a good overall view.

Oh, one more thing, if time permits you might want to take the ferry over to Catalina Island. But I think you will have so much to do, you will not be able to work that in.

Hope this helps a little. I know others will chime in as well.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:38 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,052,415 times
If you do a day at Venice Boardwalk, Sanats Monica 3rd St. Promenade, try to eat here. Tables right on the sand, and watch a good sunset:

Paradise Cove Beach Cafe Malibu** |** Near Los Angeles on Pacific Coast Highway

Old 10-01-2014, 10:49 AM

^^^ Thank you, guys!!!

Old 10-01-2014, 10:58 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,994,564 times
If you like views check out Kenneth Hahn Park. At the top you get great views of the basin and ocean. Check out K-town for great $10-$20 KBBQ, Thai Town check out Jitlada. For shopping check out West Melrose & Robertson blvd. I also would highly recommend taking a DTLA walking tour with the conservatory to check out the old theaters on Broadway.

Pro tip: download the WAZE app & try to stay off the road from 5-7:30pm.

Last edited by jamills21; 10-01-2014 at 11:07 AM..

Old 10-01-2014, 12:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
If you like views check out Kenneth Hahn Park. At the top you get great views of the basin and ocean. Check out K-town for great $10-$20 KBBQ, Thai Town check out Jitlada. For shopping check out West Melrose & Robertson blvd. I also would highly recommend taking a DTLA walking tour with the conservatory to check out the old theaters on Broadway.

Pro tip: download the WAZE app & try to stay off the road from 5-7:30pm.
I would stay clear of the freeways if possible, from about 3pm to 8pm, but this may not work if you want to see the most you can in a short time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles