Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:47 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Have you ever been to LA or to CA at all? You live in Lexington, KY, you have a lot to say and are wrong most of the time about LA.

Do you get your information off of what you see on TV shows?
I have proof in LA newspapers and on you tube clips to back up my point, why do you have to be from a place to understand the culture, I am not originally from Kentucky and I still understand the culture here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 10:48 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Why do I get the feeling you've never in your life lived in South Central?

Please, I highly doubt he has even to been to LA, never mind lived in South Central.

He did a post one time about what rents are in the LA that was way off the mark. He had them at about double of what they actually are.

He lives in Lexington, KY.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Please, I highly doubt he has even to been to LA, never mind lived in South Central.

He did a post one time about what rents are in the LA that was way off the mark. He had them at about double of what they actually are.

He lives in Lexington, KY.
I have proof of what I say in your own newspapers and on line of Mexicans killing blacks in South Central, can you refute that?

Old 02-23-2015, 10:53 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I have proof in LA newspapers and on you tube clips to back up my point, why do you have to be from a place to understand the culture, I am not originally from Kentucky and I still understand the culture here.

Nice way to sidetrack.

You didn't answer the question, but we already have the answer.

You're making comments on a place that not only have you never lived, you never even have step foot in the state.

You have to live somewhere to understand the culture. Doesn't mean you have to live their your whole life. Or be born there, but you do have to have first hand experience on the place.

You do not.

Your making comments and giving out incorrect information on a place you have never been to.

To use your logic I should be giving advice on what it is like to live in a remote African village since I read about it National Geographic.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Nice way to sidetrack.

You didn't answer the question, but we already have the answer.

You're making comments on a place that not only have you never lived, you never even have step foot in the state.

You have to live somewhere to understand the culture. Doesn't mean you have to live their your whole life. Or be born there, but you do have to have first hand experience on the place.

You do not.

Your making comments and giving out incorrect information on a place you have never been to.

To use your logic I should be giving advice on what it is like to live in a remote African village since I read about it National Geographic.
Whatever you say tough guy. I have been to LA its nothing special except few the West side of that city. I am from the Middle East lot people back home where I am from moved to LA from Jordan.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:14 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,649 times
Quote:
Whatever you say tough guy. I have been to LA its nothing special except few the West side of that city. I am from the Middle East lot people back home where I am from moved to LA from Jordan.
I've been to Kentucky, any state where horses are worth more than people, homes, and cars is one you drive through.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:39 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,874 times
I'm the OP, and I really appreciate all of the advice so far. Unfortunately, this thread has turned into a pissing contest between a couple of posters, surprisingly not about LA vs Dallas. I'm cool with closing this thread...

Old 02-23-2015, 11:46 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Everything you post about (blacks, Mexicans) are all things that happened in the past. They are not currently happening. You are taking historical fact and trying to make it current -- which isn't the case.

You don't live here and I don't think it's beneficial to anyone for you to keep giving out misinformation.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:47 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
This is the OP and I have been following, responding as necessary. I don't think Dallas is a hellhole, but I'm really liberal, and really non-religious, not sure I'm a great fit for Dallas (with the exception of 2-3 neighborhoods). Also, I've traveled the world, so I take most stereotypes with a grain of salt. I've been to Dallas when I was a flight attendant, but I was out by the airport in the burbs. I know its hotter, real estate is cheaper than LA and it's a red state. I definitely know LA much better, having spent more time on the ground there. The hubby and I are definitely leaning towards LA, but planning a visit to Dallas to get a feel for it. We need to make a decision pretty soon so our son can complete his college apps by Oct 1 for Fall 2016. Thanks for all the comments everyone!
Respectfully, youre saying you take stereotypes with a grain of salt and then start talking about how you wouldnt fit in because youre liberal and non-religious. Thats giving into the stereotype.

Im very liberal and have had zero problems here because of that. In fact, Dallas itself is liberal. Dallas county is a blue county though all the counties around it are solidly red. I am a Christian, but Im a Unitarian. Again, no problems there.

If youre really going to give Dallas a shot, you have to come visit with an open mind. If you dont like it after the visit thats fine, but its not going to be because you would feel outcast for being liberal and irreligious. There are literally millions of people in North Texas who fit that bill.

I can think of many reasons why one would choose LA over Dallas, but its time to put the stereotypes to bed.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:56 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
I've been to Kentucky, any state where horses are worth more than people, homes, and cars is one you drive through.
Ha! I've been to Kentucky too. It's a beautiful state where everyone lives in grand stately mansions on hundreds of acres of land. They all have horses and they all drink whiskey. They have this Derby thing too, where all the women wear funny hats. The few social problems they have come from the hillbillies who refuse to move into mansions of their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles