Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 02:12 PM

4 posts, read 4,059 times

Advertisements

BayAreaHillbilly: The French place is Le Chen. It's easy to forget about because it's way up Sierra Highway. I preferred Backwoods Inn with juicy steaks, sawdust on the floor, and old downtown Newhall photos on the walls. When we relocated to Valencia in 1978 there were still onion fields (where the mall is now). I ate at TIPS and Tiny Naylors on Lyons at the I-5 freeway. One Mexican food place on Lyons with pretty bad food. Was it El Grande? Years later, I went to the Saugus Café just for the experience. It was too smoky inside. Never went back. Howard's sold cowboy type attire. The Plaza theater showed 2 movies and the popcorn was free.
Everyone Else: Getting to Santa Monica takes 1.5 hours now, if traffic is perfect. Back then, it took 30 minutes. I made that commute for 25 years. Is SCV still safe? I am not sure. I take precautions. I hear gun shots on Saturday nights. Recently, a baby was found dead in a car and before that, a man was found dead in his trunk. Did that used to happen? Oh, and never read the police blotter. If you do, you won't even want to shop near TJMAXX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 02:16 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Is it true Valencia is where a lot of "hip" parents are moving to?

Old 09-14-2015, 02:23 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Is it true Valencia is where a lot of "hip" parents are moving to?
Where did you hear this?

I went to Valencia (town center?) I think..and I noticed some new places had opened
Westfield Valencia Town Center

It will be interesting to see how the SCV evolves.

I could see the appeal for people that are looking for relatively affordable housing and not want to live in a ghetto area ,and have kids and want good schools and a safe environment.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:14 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Where did you hear this?

I went to Valencia (town center?) I think..and I noticed some new places had opened
Westfield Valencia Town Center

It will be interesting to see how the SCV evolves.

I could see the appeal for people that are looking for relatively affordable housing and not want to live in a ghetto area ,and have kids and want good schools and a safe environment.
I've heard from co workers that's where a lot of the hipsters having kids go to.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:00 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I've heard from co workers that's where a lot of the hipsters having kids go to.
Heard that about Burbank, but not about Santa Clarita. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.

While Santa Clarita crime is rising fast it is still a safe city.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:08 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
plus short driving distance to the City and beaches for recreation
Not! At least 33+ miles to DTLA or the SM beach. Across the worst trafficked freeways.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:04 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Currently I live in Encino,CA. My girlfriend wants me to move in with her in Valencia,CA. If I moved to Valencia there are many stores and restaurants that I patronize that aren't in Santa Clarita.

I'm curious as to why Santa Clarita lacks a Gelsons market,Cheesecake factory and Nordstrom? Also PF Chang's, Flemmings steakhouse and a good Jewish deli? Encino has jerrys deli and uncle bernies deli.

In Santa Clarita there is nowhere to purchase a pair of $200 MENS jeans. If Nordstrom opened that would solve the problem.

Living in Encino I have several options for shopping,dining and grocery stores.

Also Santa Clarita has no art house movie theaters that show independent movies. Why??
Never move in with a "girlfriend". NEVER!! Unless you are engaged and/or getting ready to get married its a bad idea to do so. Its especially bad if it takes you from Encino to Santa Clarita (yuck). Dont do it.

Why wont she move in with you in Encino? Nevermind that, that is also a bad idea.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:40 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Never move in with a "girlfriend". NEVER!! Unless you are engaged and/or getting ready to get married its a bad idea to do so. Its especially bad if it takes you from Encino to Santa Clarita (yuck). Dont do it.

Why wont she move in with you in Encino? Nevermind that, that is also a bad idea.
I moved in July from Encino to Seattle,Washington all alone.

My girlfriend wanted to move into my apartment in seattle rent free and I told her no!!

Old 10-11-2015, 11:59 AM

104 posts, read 111,299 times
Quote:
Santa Clarita isn't upscale. I consider Santa Clarita like newer parts of the inland empire
i agree but try telling that to many of their residents, they seem to be unaware that their community IS NOT upscale.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:38 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,516,961 times
Quote:
Santa Clarita isn't upscale. I consider Santa Clarita like newer parts of the inland empire
Though it isn't upscale it does seem solidly middle class, though FTR I haven't been out that way in a long time. You'd think there'd be some higher end choices, on the assumption that, however frugal you might be, there will still be one or two things you like to splurge on.

Jeans, for example, as the OP mentions. Clothing in the SCV seems to be dominated by bargain store house brands and downmarket ("mass market") divisions of standard quality labels like Levi Strauss. Never mind $200 jeans, I'm sure there are a lot of people up there who would be happy to find $75 (e.g. Lucky) jeans or even decent quality Levi's rather than Levi Signature with the dumpy fits, but the discount chains dominate that market so completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles