Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 10:14 PM

26 posts, read 34,367 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am interested to hear your opinions about Chicago. Have you ever visited? How was your experience there? If you haven't visited, what are your opinions about Chicago? Would you ever visit?

Do you think Chicago is a fun place to live and visit? Would you be happy if you had to move to Chicago?
Do you prefer Los Angeles over Chicago or vice versa? Any other thoughts about Chicago are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 10:30 PM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times
I have never been to Chicago. My parents grew up and were married there; however, they left Chicago 20 years before I was born. They did not talk about it very much, but they did speak highly of the public transportation (the "El") and the University of Chicago, and rather negatively of the weather (which apparently compared unfavorably to where we lived in SoCal).

In the late 1980s they went back for the first and only time, to attend an Air Force reunion. They visited their old neighborhoods, which were on the West side (Austin), and were shocked at how dilapidated and awful they had become. In the 1930s and 40s, it had been quite a decent area.

I think would enjoy visiting Chicago for a short time, but it would probably be quite a culture shock to move there. I'm not a city person for one, and I've never had to deal with a really cold winter. Of course I would say I prefer Los Angeles, but it's not a fair comparison, as I'm a native here (actually, of Orange County, not Los Angeles) and don't have much experience living anywhere else.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:49 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,934 times
I lived in Milwaukee for 4 years and would head down to Chicago probably 2-4x a year. Cool city, nice museums and parks, great architecture, yummy pizza, but complete garbage weather in the winter.

I think it's a great place to visit (in the summer) but would not want to live there.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:26 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,848 times
"Let's leave Chicago to the eskimos..."

But seriously.......Frank Lloyd Wright, good blues music, Chess Records, cold winters, soda is pop and in a role reversal from 20 years ago more crime issues than Los Angeles.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:43 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,882 times
+ Lots of good restaurants, good bars/nightlife, lots to do, lots of younger people actually live in nice areas

- Lousy weather 8 months out of the year, escalating crime, murder capitol of America, shady politicians ****ing things up

Old 04-11-2015, 02:00 AM

44 posts, read 76,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty124 View Post
Hi everyone, I am interested to hear your opinions about Chicago. Have you ever visited? How was your experience there? If you haven't visited, what are your opinions about Chicago? Would you ever visit?

Do you think Chicago is a fun place to live and visit? Would you be happy if you had to move to Chicago?
Do you prefer Los Angeles over Chicago or vice versa? Any other thoughts about Chicago are appreciated.
Lived on the North side for a little less than a decade (late 80s/early 90s) - enrolled in a nice Catholic private school - wouldn't want to go to a Chicago public school.

As far as visiting, every time I go to Chicagoland I find things to do and places to see. Navy Pier is nice - they have "The Taste of Chicago" food festival annually.

It is rather refreshing to escape the SoCal "burger" culture and dig in to a Chicago deep dish pizza or a nice spicy Italian beef. However, good luck trying to find a Chicago burger that beats a burger from In-N-Out. (especially grilled onions style)

Yeah there's crime, yeah the weather is horrible - winters can be tough the closer you are to Lake Michigan. North side > South side for safety purely based on economic reasons.

North: Cubs, O'Hare International Airport
South: Sox, Midway Airport

Bears, Blackhawks, Bulls = either North or South

It's a city worth visiting at least once - I'd go for a major event. The Chicago Auto Show at McCormick Place is one of the top auto shows internationally - but it's held during the winter - don't count on "Chamber of Commerce" weather by any means.

Did the stock car race at Chicagoland Speedway one year during the summer - it was nice.

Shed Aquarium, Brookfield Zoo, Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry = major sites.

Big architecture city – from Frank Lloyd Wright to high-rise skyscrapers like the Willis (Sears) Tower and John Hancock building – nice to see in person + big tourist draws – architecture boat tours are offered.

As a tourist, I'd visit in the Summer. If I had any interest in actually living in the city year-round I'd visit in the fall after Labor Day and go from there.

(*Added*) Forgot to mention, if you want a little "Taste of Chicago" without leaving SoCal try Portillo's in Buena Park or Moreno Valley. Great Italian beef!

Last edited by racing2015; 04-11-2015 at 03:27 AM..

Old 04-11-2015, 02:45 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
My wife's close friend (and my roommate for a week) lives in Chicago. We have visited her three times and once on our own.

We really love Chicago, amazing downtown, cool "city" culture, good public transit, good museums, nice people.

Weather is a deal breaker though. I thought Boston was bad, Chicago is worse. Also, I think there is more "going on" in LA than Chicago, which I prefer.

Overall, definitely one of my favorite cities.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:47 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
My family's from there. It's a great city with a fascinating culture, excellent food, and an incredible history, and one of the very few cities in the world which is more diverse than Los Angeles. Not fond of the weather or the crime but if you have to live in the Midwest, that's the place.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:22 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
I'm originally from New York.

Lived in all of the three big cities.

As for Munchitup, many people (including me) think there's actually more "going on" in Chicago than in LA - but only because the city is more 24 hour friendly and late night that LA. LA has more celebrities and international appeal due to the Hollywood industry. LA is more internationally known. But I feel that Chicago is a much more active city during the day and late night than LA. It feels more urban, dense, and active (and statistically, it is). Not to bash LA (which I love) but honestly, Chicago during the summer is the next best thing after New York in this country!

Everyone in LA that has been to Chicago says to me "Chicago is the best city in the country in the summer, but 8 other months of the year - it's the worst".

Old 04-11-2015, 04:21 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,112,435 times
Lived there for a good minute. I miss it. Wish I explored it as much as I did L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles