Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 12:55 PM

80 posts, read 95,745 times

Advertisements

LA area native that has been to Chicago a few times.

Pros
-downtown areas (that I explored) were very clean for a big city
-love the public transit
-best pizza I've ever had
-Absolutely stunning skyline at night. Best I've ever seen.

Cons
-kinda gritty in some areas. definitely locked my doors driving through west side.
-toll roads everywhere
-downtown proper had tons to do, but the suburbs are booooring. lol
-cold as hell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 01:33 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I do think I disagree with that poster, I think NYC would be able to cope without a team like LA does. Everyone other city though, yeah they would freak out. I do think that tide is starting to turn as cities realize the NFL is not exactly a great commodity and doesn't help out the economy as much as previously thought.
I'm going with the OP on this one. In the absence of an NFL team in its market, I suspect NYC would find "coping with a loss" far less appealing than "assertively demanding what it rightfully deserves". Even if that were to mean using taxpayer money to fund a billionaire's hobby. Here, people just go hiking on NFL Sundays.

The individual owners and the league have been trying call LA's bluff for 20 years. I think part of the reason this has dragged on this long is precisely because league offices are based in NYC, and the local political and social environments influenced league officials in their estimations LA would ultimately cave.

Last edited by nslander; 04-17-2015 at 01:44 PM..

Old 04-17-2015, 02:32 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I'm going with the OP on this one. In the absence of an NFL team in its market, I suspect NYC would find "coping with a loss" far less appealing than "assertively demanding what it rightfully deserves". Even if that were to mean using taxpayer money to fund a billionaire's hobby. Here, people just go hiking on NFL Sundays.

The individual owners and the league have been trying call LA's bluff for 20 years. I think part of the reason this has dragged on this long is precisely because league offices are based in NYC, and the local political and social environments influenced league officials in their estimations LA would ultimately cave.
Fair enough. That is a good point.

It is something that Angelenos can really hold their heads high about. I think it is funny when people try to bash the city and say it doesn't have sports fans because we don't have a football franchise. LA sports fans are just as obnoxious as any city's (okay not Philly they are the hands-down worst) - that's a pretty good sign your city has a devotion to its team.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:21 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Fair enough. That is a good point.

It is something that Angelenos can really hold their heads high about. I think it is funny when people try to bash the city and say it doesn't have sports fans because we don't have a football franchise. LA sports fans are just as obnoxious as any city's (okay not Philly they are the hands-down worst) - that's a pretty good sign your city has a devotion to its team.
One thing Americans, even Angelenos, are loathe to do is compliment the sociology of Los Angeles. I think its one of those subtle biases that needs to be consciously removed by the root. Many will futilely claim that 20 year absence was explained by indifference. But make no mistake - it was caused by resolve and proper priorities.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:05 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitions View Post
LA area native that has been to Chicago a few times.

Pros
-downtown areas (that I explored) were very clean for a big city
-love the public transit
-best pizza I've ever had
-Absolutely stunning skyline at night. Best I've ever seen.

Cons
-kinda gritty in some areas. definitely locked my doors driving through west side.
-toll roads everywhere
-downtown proper had tons to do, but the suburbs are booooring. lol
-cold as hell
The pros I agree with. But the cons? Those could apply to tons of other cities. "Kinda gritty" areas exist in LA too. South Central. Westlake. Skid Row. Parts of Hollywood. Compton. Watts. I could go on. NYC has the bronx and Harlem and parts of Brooklyn and Queens. SF has the tenderloin and hunters point.

Suburbs are known for being boring. LA is probably one of the few cities on earth with actually fun suburbs. But still, we have places like IE, OC, Torrance, Palos Verdes, lots of the SGV, northern SFV, SCV, AV, TO, etc.

Cold as hell, yes I'll give you that. Other cities get cold as well though.

Toll roads, yes they have them, but that's what the public transit is for in the city. Don't need to pay for toll roads if you live in the city and take public transit.

With all that said, those are totally cons to living in Chicago. However, I brought up those points to showcase why I believe Chicago is one of the best cities in the country. A lot of the cons are experienced by dozens of cities across the country. The pros are hard to match though. Chicago's downtown is one of the best in the world. The public transit is only beat by NYC in the US. Only NYC pizza can match (different style, both great pizza). Such a unique and beautiful skyline. Nothing like it.

Quote:
They have a NYC name and NYers make up their fan base - they are a NYC team. If a team played at the Rose Bowl would they not be a Los Angeles team? Even though the city limits are like a mile away?
With the Inglewood or Carson plans for an NFL stadium, I guess by that logic they have to be the Inglewood or Carson NFL franchise. The 49ers are no longer the SF 49ers; they're the Santa Clarita 49ers. Dallas Cowboys are the Arlington Cowboys. Maryland Redskins. St Pete Rays.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:17 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,679 times
I grew up in the Chicago suburbs. Chicago is a great city to visit in the summer. Lots of stuff to do in downtown without having to travel far.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:24 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
NYC has no NFL team. Last I check, both the Jets and Giants play in the state of New Jersey
so i guess San Francisco, Washington, Dallas, Miami, and Buffalo have no NFL teams either since none has a team within city limits.

The Meadowlands couldn't be closer to the heart of Manhattan if it tried….and is far closer to Times Square than the vast majority of NYC. No part of the outer boroughs is as close to Times Square as the Meadowlands, save perhaps for a small portion of Queens.

I'd say the Giants and Jets are as New York as it gets.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:50 PM

332 posts, read 525,092 times
One of my work friends is here for his first year and moved from LA -- the last couple of weeks (after winter ended) when we were out at Happy Hour he commented that it really felt a lot like San Fran here (speaking in context of the weather) this time of year.

One of my closest friends lives in LA--Silverlake. It's interesting b/c like Chicago is his spirit city but LA is my spirit city but due to jobs/economy/career for both of us it's better to be in the respective cities we both are in so we both can't wait to visit each other's cities haha.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:23 PM

252 posts, read 519,178 times
My dad relocated to Santa Monica California in the late 1960's with his parents/my grandparents from Chicago Illinois. I have never been to Chi-town except for maybe for a 20 minute stop in the airport. The skyline of Chicago was impressive from the airplane.. I have positive view Chicago because most of family on my dads side is from that area, the greater Chicago area and spread out through out the Midwest. I have seen in movies woodsy types of homes like in Farris Bhullers Day Off , the scene specifically with the Ferrari driving through the glass window/garage thing. I think the woods/ forests and lakes are beautiful in the Midwest its something that we don't have Southern California on the flat we have sagebrush/chapparal . Its just the snow thats kind of bothersome..

Last edited by 7stringguitarguy; 04-18-2015 at 04:37 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 07:53 PM

176 posts, read 291,157 times
Chicago, New York, LA...all are amazing cities in their own right.

Chicago is at its best spring thru fall. For me, Chicago's highlights are Michigan avenue, the Art Institute and Field Museum, the amazing parks along Lake Shore Drive, the river running through the city; the view from the skydeck, Giordanos pizza, Portillos dogs and Gibson's steaks; the public transit system and the ability to enjoy much of what the city has to offer without needing to travel all over the place.

A truly great city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles