Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 03:16 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Not counting in and out of the airport, I have never visited Chicago and have absolutely no desire to do so. I'm sure there are nice areas and interesting things to see and do, but all I hear about is the high crime rate, unending political corruption, and brutal winters. There are too many other beautiful, interesting places to visit.
You'll be missing out on one of the best cities in America. Easy to avoid brutal winters. Don't go in winter. The crime rate is high mainly just in the South Side. The North Side and the suburbs are some of the safest places in the country. Don't go to the south side. Most of the shopping and museums and restaurants and clubs and all that tourists stuff is in the safe north side. And political corruption is everywhere. That's not something exclusive to Chicago. Why do you care as a tourist anyways? Italy is corrupt. But everyone wants to visit Italy because that doesn't interfere with tourists' lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 03:27 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Don't go to the south side.
I went to U.S. Cellular on the Red Line. I saw the south side from I-90 and I-94. I drove through neighborhoods in Waukegan and Gary. I wanted the full experience, and it baffles me why some people wouldn't.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:51 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
I don't think I've ever chimed in on this thread:

I am a California transplant, who spent most of my lives in the Chicago area (suburbs, but still went to the city a lot).

I will always feel a strong connection to home, but more because of family, nostalgia. The actual Chicago personality and lifestyle that many are attracted to, is not really my thing . . . and I say this, saying that sometimes the thing I miss the most ? - are the change in seasons. Personally I like the winter around the holidays. Chicago does Christmas better than LA. Halloween is great with fall colors. Thanksgiving is great with a fire roaring. Easter is awesome when it finally starts to warm up, and Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor day are great with deep green foliage, and even a little humidity and cintronella to keep the bugs away.

Here's a few things I have to say about Chicago.

It actually is very easy to avoid the crime problems in Chicago. What IS hard however, is to be exposed and integrated into the racial and cultural diversity. Chicagos crime problems are very divided along racial lines, reflecting what you find in many cities in the eastern half of the US: White Chicago and Black Chicago are two entirely different cities. Once can say that all cities are like that, but Chicago its much starker than in many of Chicagos Coastal or Southern peers.

The same also goes somewhat for the hispanic population. Chicago has counterparts to East LA, 99% hispanic, place to experience authentic hispanic culture, but not that safe (Humboldt Park - Puerto Rican, Little Village and Cicero - Mexican. What Chicago does NOT have is the huge middle class, even affluent, educated, assimilated hispanic population you find in California or Texas cities. (such as what one might find in suburbs east of LA like Whittier, Hacienda Hts, Downey, El Monte, etc.)

If you want to live in places that are safe AND diverse, you have few options.

Chicago has a very strong "white ethnic" cultural vibe. Although LA has a much larger foreign born # and % spread out over big areas, native born white Californians have less of a strong ethnic identity. (This may be a little different in San Francisco, where there is a stronger Italian heritage). People who are a few generations in the US, in Chicago (and many other eastern cities) will much more strongly identify with their Polish, Irish heritage, even at the same time, seeing themselves as fully american. Many more people ***** are all one heritage. In SoCal, more native white americans are "mutts" with "generic" anglo names.

Sports, sports, and sports. Be prepared to talk about professional sports, college sports, even in some of the circles. Be prepared to hear about draft picks, how teams are doing, whos being traded to what team. A greater % of the young adult professional population have strong connections to many of the regions big ten universities. Overall Chicago is a professional, white collared city, but with an underlying, blue collared past that colors the culture.

However, if you love outdoor pursuits and going on roadtrips - forget it. Not only is there very little to do in the region that is within a days drive of Chicago, compared to cities in the western US, what little to do, its not really part of the culture. Among the average middle to upper middle class suburbanites, there is a subculture of going to the cabin in Wisconsin, but even then it tends to revolve around more sedentary outdoor activities like fishing and boating.

Other than that, anything tangible urban amenities? Chicago has it all. But it is still a product of its region, and this is something to keep in mind in terms of finding people who share your interests. Just like one can go to Houston, TX and meet people from all over the world, but its still in Texas.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:26 AM

227 posts, read 437,583 times
Very cold.

Let's leave Chicago to the eskimos.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:30 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Chicago has a very strong "white ethnic" cultural vibe. Although LA has a much larger foreign born # and % spread out over big areas, native born white Californians have less of a strong ethnic identity. (This may be a little different in San Francisco, where there is a stronger Italian heritage). People who are a few generations in the US, in Chicago (and many other eastern cities) will much more strongly identify with their Polish, Irish heritage, even at the same time, seeing themselves as fully american. Many more people ***** are all one heritage. In SoCal, more native white americans are "mutts" with "generic" anglo names.
It's not even that strong in San Francisco. It seems the majority of Italian immigrants to California settled in the center of the state, particularly in Monterrey County (Salinas Valley). I know my family did, and lots of others like it.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:26 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Well the OP Surely had assessments of Chicago here through numerous post? Of course, I am Not a Californian. But reading FAR MORE COMPLEMENTARY COMMENTS to negative. It is WINTERS that are a issue, with those being use to the all year warmth of Southern Cali. There is always the mountains there to get a taste of winter?

I find New Yorkers, even transplants there? More likely to mock and demean Chicago then Southern Californians. So the comments here are far more civil then if on a NYC thread.

Visitors to Chicago's downtown especially. See a MODERN, VIBRANT, CLEAN, GREEN IN FLOWERS AND PARKS, TASTE OF LA WITH BEACHES EVEN DOWNTOWN MINUS SURFING AND COASTAL CLIFFS, TWO MAIN SHOPPING STREETS WITH ONE A PEMIER ONE IN THE NATION, TOP MUSEUMS AND RESTAURANTS TOO AND VIBRANT NEIGHBORHOODS. NEIGHBORHOODS FULL OF GREEN FRONTAGE AND TREE-LINED.

So negative aspects are FAR MORE by stereotypes and some media aspects. Movies are more favorable. BUT ON VISITS THE ASSESMENTS BECOME POSITIVES. EVEN ON TOURIST FEEDBACK SIGHTS LIKE "TripAdvisor" ect.
Downtown Chicago has the FULL PACKAGE of What a QUINTESSENTIAL AMERICAN DOWNTOWN IS ... that ALL could want to aspire to. That doesn't overwhelm or feel restrictive. Always the Open space of the Lake is to your East.

On my yearly visits. I see NO REVERSAL of a improving prospering city. Even the Worst of the Ghettos in once areas on the Southside that looked like boomed was zones by the 80s? Have had the Worst of blight REMOVED and lots returning to prairie. Even the Notorious failed High-Rise Housing Projects of the 60s, tore down and Gone Forever.

Last edited by steeps; 06-01-2015 at 02:24 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 03:29 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
Californians in general aren't interested in living in or visiting anywhere east of the Rockies or outside of the US, from what I gather.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:41 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Californians in general aren't interested in living in or visiting anywhere east of the Rockies or outside of the US, from what I gather.
Denver, Colorado Springs, and Texas are all east of the Rockies.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:06 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I went to U.S. Cellular on the Red Line. I saw the south side from I-90 and I-94. I drove through neighborhoods in Waukegan and Gary. I wanted the full experience, and it baffles me why some people wouldn't.
The thing about "avoid the south side" is bad advice. I could name a handful of communities on the south side of Chicago which are actually very safe. Mount Greenwood hasn't had a single homicide in over a decade for example.

Hyde Park, Mount Greenwood, Clearing, West Lawn, Archer Heights, Bridgeport, Chinatown (Armour Square), Hegewisch, most of Kenwood, Douglas nowadays, Near South Side, Oakland, Ashburn, and West Elsdon are all on the south side and all fairly safe neighborhoods nowadays.

Not to mention that some of the worst areas of the city are actually near I-290 on the west side (west of UIC).

Old 06-05-2015, 10:32 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
And how did you gather that? You held a statewide survey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles