Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 02:00 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,996,069 times

Advertisements

Review of comments regarding LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 02:14 PM

Perhaps LA is evolving its own distinctive version of urbanism?

LA as its own beast?

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 05-24-2015 at 02:36 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 02:31 PM

34 posts, read 54,511 times
I think that's because in common lore LA means Los Angeles county which is mostly suburban. The actually city of LA besides the valley is no less city like than Queens, NY. Mostly little single homes packed tightly, with some multi family homes and buildings thrown in. Also for a long time the suburban-ness of parts of LA were a strong point. In NYC if you want a 4 bedroom ranch on a family block you have to move to NJ but in LA you can stay in the city all you have to do is go over the hill to the Valley.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:28 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encino.Man View Post
I think that's because in common lore LA means Los Angeles county which is mostly suburban. The actually city of LA besides the valley is no less city like than Queens, NY. Mostly little single homes packed tightly, with some multi family homes and buildings thrown in. Also for a long time the suburban-ness of parts of LA were a strong point. In NYC if you want a 4 bedroom ranch on a family block you have to move to NJ but in LA you can stay in the city all you have to do is go over the hill to the Valley.
I grew up in Queens, and it's a lot more urban than you might think. There are several NYCHA projects in the borough, and big apartment complexes in many neighborhoods. I grew up one block from an elevated subway line, with mixed use buildings (commercial on the first floor and apartments on the higher floors) lining the streets. The population density of Queens is more than twice the population density of the City of LA.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:38 PM

34 posts, read 54,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I grew up in Queens, and it's a lot more urban than you might think. There are several NYCHA projects in the borough, and big apartment complexes in many neighborhoods. I grew up one block from an elevated subway line, with mixed use buildings (commercial on the first floor and apartments on the higher floors) lining the streets. The population density of Queens is more than twice the population density of the City of LA.
I lived in the NY area for almost 2 years and I spent 9 months of that time living in Glendale Queens. Yes there is a lot of projects and buildings especially in Western Queens like LIC or Astoria, but most of Queens was laid out as the first "suburbs" of NY for people fleeing the tenement areas in Manhatan and parts of Brooklyn. Look at Maspeth, Glendale, Middle Village, Howard Beach, Woodhaven, Forest Hills, Rego Park, Bayside, Little Neck etc. it's mostly low rise single and two family attached or detached homes or small buildings..there are some big tower blocks thrown in but those are the minority. The only areas of Queens that are really city like like Brooklyn would be the western parts along the river, plus Jackson Heights and the area around Main St in Flushing.

Source: I lived in the area and I am in NY for work about thrice per year.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:13 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,552,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encino.Man View Post
I lived in the NY area for almost 2 years and I spent 9 months of that time living in Glendale Queens. Yes there is a lot of projects and buildings especially in Western Queens like LIC or Astoria, but most of Queens was laid out as the first "suburbs" of NY for people fleeing the tenement areas in Manhatan and parts of Brooklyn. Look at Maspeth, Glendale, Middle Village, Howard Beach, Woodhaven, Forest Hills, Rego Park, Bayside, Little Neck etc. it's mostly low rise single and two family attached or detached homes or small buildings..there are some big tower blocks thrown in but those are the minority. The only areas of Queens that are really city like like Brooklyn would be the western parts along the river, plus Jackson Heights and the area around Main St in Flushing.

Source: I lived in the area and I am in NY for work about thrice per year.
First of all, I'm not trying to compare Queens to Brooklyn, I was only addressing the statement that most of LA is at least as urban as Queens.

Secondly, in describing Queens, as urban or suburban, you can't just leave out all of the higher density areas like the ones you listed (LIC, Jackson Heights and a Flushing) and then cherry pick some other neighborhoods that seemingly fit your description. You also left out a huge number of super-dense neighborhoods, like most of the neighborhoods along the 7 train.

Thirdly, several of the areas that you mentioned still have lots of mixed-use real estate and very high population density. Glendale is one of the least dense neighborhoods in Queens, and still has a population density of over 16k people/square mile, which is on par with Echo Park. Forest Hills has a population density of about 35k people per square mile. There are only two areas in the county of LA that are more dense than "suburban" Forest Hills: Koreatown and Westlake.

Finally, about 251k of the borough's housing units are in single family residential structures in Queens. However, over 560k of the borough's housing units are located in multi-family buildings (about 250k units are located in buildings of 20 or more units). There are a lot of single family homes, but it's not overwhelmingly so, and MOST of the residents of Queens live in multi-family buildings.

Sources:
http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...gewood-NY.html
http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...-Hills-NY.html
Population Density Ranking - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times
http://www.city-data.com/county/Queens_County-NY.html
30+ years of living in Queens

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 05-25-2015 at 05:26 AM..

Old 05-25-2015, 06:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Everyone takes the statement about Los Angeles differently. I am not sure I would take the suburban statement as a negative, but I do think it is true. When people talk about a large city, like Los Angeles, they are talking metro area, not just the city limits. I was born and raised in L.A. and yes, I have been there in the past 5 years, so my opinion isn't based only on years gone by: it is one big sprawing area. Of course there are regions of the city like Korean town, China town, east Los Angeles, etc, there always have been, but still all in all it is very different from most huge cities, especially those on the east coast like NYC. This isn't bad or good,it is just the way it is.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:19 PM

I have come across different descriptions in different threads: LA is 1. "mildly urban" 2. "urbanized but not very urban" 3. "urban/suburban". Would it be a good description to call LA a hybrid?

Old 05-25-2015, 01:23 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,566,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Oh my God is this real?!?!?!?!?!?

It must be, it has links in the text.
The belief is very real:

TX Gov Orders State Guard to Monitor Possible Military Takeover of Texas

Majority of likely GOP primary voters could believe Operation Jade Helm 15 is probably a federal invasion of Texas - Salon.com

The United States of America. In 2015.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:44 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,422,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Los Angeles is 4x larger though, LA's core 110 sq miles is about 30% less dense than Queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles