Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 10:30 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,449,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reen79 View Post
Do these people not have back yards? I don't get it why do some people want the whole neighborhood to see what they are doing?last time I checked I lived in Covina not East La or Compton...this family seems to rather live in their front yard than their home....the men that live there are constantly in the front yard never any privacy I walk outside and there's a face staring at me....I hate that crap! they are a Hispanic family that moved here 5 months ago from east la.....guess that explains it...im hispanic to so im in no way racist....I just wonder why they act that way....so ghetto and tacky.....if I have a gathering its usually inside or in my backyard.......why cant people just keep the neighborhood nice, clean and quiet? someone always has to mess it up for everyone else....I have lived here most of my life and it was a very nice area now its going in the **** hole....
They are likely continuing the customs of the last neighborhood they lived in.

What usually happens next - either you suck it up and get used to it. Or move out.

When you move out, someone from their old hood with similar customs will move into your place, then the neighborhood falls like a domino effect.

Is there a neighborhood community group on your street? Sometimes if there is a coalition of neighbors some pressure can be applied to the offending house to change their ways.

If not. You'll need to put up a fence high enough so you don't see them or, suck it up, or move.

Spoiler
P.S. If they have poultry running around in the front yard - it's definitely time to move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 10:39 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,187 times
The ones next door to my son used to hang the aluminum chairs from the trees in the front yard in between their BBQs!!

Old 07-12-2015, 10:47 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,573,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Oh, my...people actually socializing like normal human beings in the front yard? Next they'll be waving "Hello" at you, or gasp, saying, "Hello!"

Seriously, though, they're maximizing the use of their property. It's not like they're doing anything illegal. And what are you doing? Standing in your front yard staring at them having a BBQ party.

[go back inside and mind your own]

No. Just smelling the smoke, listening to the music blasting from all the cars parked in the front yard, and hoping they sweep up the broken glass from the broken beer bottles.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:40 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
They are likely continuing the customs of the last neighborhood they lived in.

What usually happens next - either you suck it up and get used to it. Or move out.

When you move out, someone from their old hood with similar customs will move into your place, then the neighborhood falls like a domino effect.

Is there a neighborhood community group on your street? Sometimes if there is a coalition of neighbors some pressure can be applied to the offending house to change their ways.

If not. You'll need to put up a fence high enough so you don't see them or, suck it up, or move.

Spoiler
P.S. If they have poultry running around in the front yard - it's definitely time to move
How exactly do they pressure someone to stop BBQing and listening to music on their own property?

Do they threaten to kidnap one of their kids and turn them into bland, humorless zombies, like the rest of the neighborhood council?

Old 07-12-2015, 12:02 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
How exactly do they pressure someone to stop BBQing and listening to music on their own property?

Do they threaten to kidnap one of their kids and turn them into bland, humorless zombies, like the rest of the neighborhood council?
If their house is an eyesore, they can make it difficult for them to live there.

disturbing the peace etc...

Old 07-12-2015, 12:15 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Do these people not have back yards? I don't get it why do some people want the whole neighborhood to see what they are doing?last time I checked I lived in Covina not East La or Compton...this family seems to rather live in their front yard than their home....the men that live there are constantly in the front yard never any privacy I walk outside and there's a face staring at me....I hate that crap! they are a Hispanic family that moved here 5 months ago from east la.....guess that explains it...im hispanic to so im in no way racist....I just wonder why they act that way....so ghetto and tacky.....if I have a gathering its usually inside or in my backyard.......why cant people just keep the neighborhood nice, clean and quiet? someone always has to mess it up for everyone else....I have lived here most of my life and it was a very nice area now its going in the **** hole....:think:
Yep your neighborhood is changing I've had that happen once I sold and moved. I prefer living in neighborhoods where I don't know my neighbors well. Too many houses being rented out and people barbecuing in the front yard isn't my cup of tea. I don't care what color my neighbors are I just don't want to know who they are or see them very often. I currently live in a neighborhood where people that tend to barbecue in their front yard can't afford to live, and no it isn't racially segregated my neighbor a few houses down is black. I totally get your post I hate front yard barbecuer's, totally Ghetto and tacky.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:25 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
I used to live in Venice, before it got yuppified. I lived on Rose Avenue between two houses with Hispanic families. The family on one side owned a farm in Mexico so their life revolved around the California school dates. The kids never got a vacation from school because as soon as we would start summer vacation they would go back to Mexico and enroll the kids there. They were the best-educated kids I ever saw. One time I went way for a few days and I told my colleague from work he could borrow my car, which was parked in the driveway. He told me that when he came to get the car he looked up and saw on one side a bunch of unfriendly faces scowling at him, then he looked at the other house and saw more of the same. He ended up not taking the car! I never felt safer than I did in that neighborhood and I have always regretted not staying in touch with those folks.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:55 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedNerv View Post
I'm from EU, so I don't have much of experience with your habbits and way of living, but while reading threads lik that (and some others) I have a question (and I don't want to be provocative)...
As far as I have read, you have a problem if someone is hanging out on his own front yard, you mind if someone puts a fence around front yard,...
Are you using your front yards for lawning grass only or for what are you using it?
Front yards in middle to upper class neighborhoods are usually only used for landscaping. Typically you see more people BBQ'ing in their front yards in poorer neighborhoods . It's more of a cultural and class issue.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:32 PM

329 posts, read 627,689 times
Been there done that. I feel for you OP. For those that think it's none of his business, well it IS his business because the ghetto will attract more ghetto and eventually neighborhood will go to crap and home value will decrease. Housing isn't cheap anymore like before 2000's so you can't just move and not expect to take a hit financially

Old 07-12-2015, 09:37 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
no thanks....I don't socialize with trashy ghetto people with no class those aren't the kind of friends I want in my life.....I can complain all I want I have lived here longer and my house is paid off....

Do you ever wonder how many of those trashy ghetto no class people are saying the same thing about you to the neighbors that join them in the front yard?

Did you pay cash for the house or finance it? It is much more impressive if you paid cash without any financing.

So what exactly has your complaining on a public forum accomplished? I would guess not much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles